Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think climate of the Scilly Isles can support commercial citrus production?
Yes! I can't wait to bite into a juicy lemon grown fresh in the UK! 1 3.85%
No way! Climate not suitable 22 84.62%
Really have no idea 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 08:09 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,707,457 times

Advertisements

I want to see what people's opinion is on this. Lets say we focus on lemons and not oranges as they require less summer heat. Also, explain why you think yes or no.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scilly_isles#Climate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 08:31 AM

688 posts, read 841,882 times
Melbourne's climate can support lemons and oranges. I have a big ass lemon tree in my garden which is a prolific producer of lemons and they have a far more intense flavour than those in the supermarket (which they charge 75c EACH for ****s sake). Last few weeks I've been picking 10-20 lemons a week. I also have Mandarins, which are nice and sweet and very tasty.

Northwestern Victoria is a huge citrus and orange production area. The area around Mildura is irrigated specifically for citrus (and grape/wine) crops.

I think citrus could grow on the Scilly Isles, but AFIAK citrus needs warm-hot summers and is preferred that the rest of the year be warm aswell with ample sunshine for high quality produce, which the Scilly Isles do not have.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:02 AM

2,672 posts, read 3,185,105 times
No. Summers are too cool and sunshine is quite low, and citrus need warm temperatures.
In Italy, citrus production areas are mainly located in Sicily, Calabria and Costiera amalfitana, where summers are hot, dry and very sunny.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:03 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Definitely not. The summers are way too weak and so is the sunshine.

Lemon trees take up to 6 years to grow mature, and it would probably take double the time in such cool summers. Lemon trees usually goes dormant in frequent temperatures around 13C, which is from mid-September to July. To actually grow anything the tree needs stable high temps of at least 70F and at least 8, preferrably 12 hours of sun a day. The Scilly Isles can guarantee neither.

Trees grow their fruit for 7 to 9 months in those temps and sun mentioned, which is impossible to achieve on those Isles.

So the answer is no. You could've just googled for yourself.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:05 AM

688 posts, read 841,882 times
I now feel better for having first hand experience in growing some quality citrus right here in Melbourne

Don't know if anyone is aware of this, but pissing on lemon trees yields bigger, juicier fruit.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:10 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,456,184 times
I strongly doubt. Not sure about winters, but citruses definitely need much warmer summers and higher sunshine. Perhaps, some citrus trees can survive, but they definitely can't grow really well.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:41 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
I would have to agree with most of the above...not commercial production. Commercial producers want year round warm to hot conditions for big harvests.

If you look at where in the world the largest commercial citrus producers are located....they are all in climates that not only have a long hot, sunny, summer, but warmer winters (above 70 F/21 c). Look at oranges, I think Brazil, Florida, and the Great Valley in Southern Califorina dominate the world market.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:45 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,599,580 times
Lemons and kumquats...yes. Oranges, limes, grapefruits...no.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:52 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
I wouldn't think Scilly Isles could do commercial lemon production

Where I live is considered very marginal for commercial citrus ( oranges but not lemons)production and is still quite a bit warmer than there.

I've seen articles on citrus production in the UK and finally got to see my first photo of a fruiting tree. I would have to say, it's a far cry from even here, where an orange or lemon tree, just planted out in the open, will already have a shopping bag or two of fruit by the first 12 months.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:14 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Interesting question. Found this article informative from the UK.

Growing apple trees and other fruit trees in the UK climate

For commercial growers the UK is essentially a marginal climate. This is why commercial tree fruit production in the UK is, for the most part, limited to areas such as Kent, Worcestershire and Herefordshire, where the combination of soil and sunlight makes growing fruit trees on a large scale a viable proposition.

The main challenges to producing good quality tree fruit in the UK are unsettled weather during spring (which can damage blossom or discourage pollinating insects) and indifferent summers with too little sunlight.

The article doesn't cover citrus, but I found info on growing a warm loving fruit like apricots. If apricots aren't really commercially viable there (have to be fanned against a south facing wall), I doubt you could grow lemons commercially. Here is an excerpt on growing apricots in the UK:

Apricot trees are easy to grow in warm climates but can be challenging in temperate climates such as much of the UK and northern Europe. The main problem is not winter cold - all Apricots are very hardy - but inconsistent and variable weather, especially in winter and spring. Apricot trees prefer a simple regime of cold winters (with 500-700 hours below 5 degrees centigrade) and hot sunny summers, and do not like either the cold of winter or the heat of summer to be interrupted. Nevertheless, even in a temperate climate, if you can provide a south-facing wall for a fan-trained specimen then you have a reasonable chance of success.

By contrast, France grows loads of fruit. But France is a lot sunnier in the areas that grow fruit other than apples and pears.

The Intl Fruit Tree Association did a study tour of France and visited orchards all over. Here is the link:

Fruit growing in France - Good Fruit Grower - October 2008 -

Notice that France grows stone fruit like peaches far away from the marginal UK climate. The only fruits grown near the UK are apples and pears. Fruits like lemons, peaches, and apricots need sun and warmth.

The size of Texas and home to 61 million people, France is a self-sufficient nation and produces enough grain, cattle, cheese, fruits, and vegetables to feed itself as well as other countries. Small farms, orchards, and vineyards dot the rolling countryside where growers produce stone fruit in the southern region, and apples and pears in the southwest, central, and northern regions.

And why would anyone in the UK waste time trying to commercially grow citrus when they can't even grow enough apples for their population:

About one-third of the total apple production is exported. Nearby England is the primary export market. Fruit is also exported to other European Union countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather