Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 09:48 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times

Advertisements

Since people on this forum keep peddling the idea that the South somehow is this subtropical region most prone to cold, I guess I will have to induce some optimism; lets focus on the good things.

So, outside of Florida, which is obviously moderated, being a peninsula, which part of the South do you all think has the most stable subtropical climate, where subtropical/tropical plants have the best chance for survival?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 10:26 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Despite their record lows, Corpus Christi and Brownsville in southern Texas aren't that bad.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:39 PM

264 posts, read 389,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
Despite their record lows, Corpus Christi and Brownsville in southern Texas aren't that bad.
Add New Orleans and the Carolina coasts to that list.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:44 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,956,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
I thought they're a bit fluctuating and extreme in the winter (they've even recorded snow)? I think the OP wanted the more stable climates in the south.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:44 PM

1,624 posts, read 2,037,926 times
A few years ago Laredo Tx got up to 90 degrees in winter while in Dallas it was sleet and freezing rain that day crazy.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:45 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint922 View Post
Yes, as far as growing subtropical vegetation, the Gulf Coast of Texas and Louisiana, and the South Atlantic coasts of Georgia, and South Carolina, have it best in regards to growing, and maintaining subtropical vegetation in the South outside of peninsular Florida, with South Texas being king in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
I thought they're a bit fluctuating and extreme in the winter (they've even recorded snow)? I think the OP wanted stable climates in the south.
No, I believe that the entire Coastal South has a stable winter climate; its just that people on this forum keep talking about this mythical unstableness of the climate I have yet to see in all my years of living in the region.

Because of my annoyance with such talk, I instead decided to change the topic, to see what you guys thought was the most stable area of the South outside of Florida, where tender vegetation can grow best.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:52 PM

633 posts, read 661,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
A few years ago Laredo Tx got up to 90 degrees in winter while in Dallas it was sleet and freezing rain that day crazy.
probably the next day the cold front reached Laredo and the temp dropped to 40°F

i mentioned this in another thread but i'll say it here too. there is really no good place in the continental U.S. outside of South Florida that can reliably grow coconut palms long-term.

the best choices would be the extreme southern coast of Louisiana (south of Triumph) and South Padre Island, Texas. even at these locations coconut palms will likely die within 10 years. as you go north from these locations, survival time drops significantly... by the time you reach Houston or New Orleans, coconut palms likely wouldn't make it through a single winter.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:40 PM

11 posts, read 11,386 times
The coasts of Texas, and Louisiana are the best bets outside of Florida in the South if you want a decent amount of survival time for tender subtropical plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
probably the next day the cold front reached Laredo and the temp dropped to 40°F
You can't just assume that.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:43 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Stable climate? They get like 45% of tropical storms in Florida.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:48 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,277,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRk AnToNy View Post
You can't just assume that.
Yes, he can. In January 2013, the high on the 29th was 94F. The low two days later was 40F. More than a day, but still a drastic temperature swing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather