Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2007, 10:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

The hotel mogul said surveys show 70 percent of guests not returning to his hotels cited hurricane fears as the reason why.

Hotel Mogul Threatens Lawsuit Over Hurricane Expert's Gloomy Forecasts - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando (http://www.local6.com/news/14730306/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 07:41 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,287 times
Can you imagine the impact to weather forecasting if someone actually got a monetary award because of a wrong forecast? I actually heard something crazy like this a number of years ago, but I don't think it went anywhere. This would open the door to sueing every weatherman. Would that mean the end of weather forecasting as we know it, or would a TV or radio weather forecaster have to give a legal disclaimer before and after the forecast. Weathermen would have to buy liability insurance like doctors do.

If I was the judge in the case, I would order whoever brought this case to submit to a mental exam before we proceed.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:42 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
That is absolutely unbelievable!!! Thank you, Sunny for posting this. Too bad the hotel mogul didn't realize that you can only see "The Mouse" about so many times and we may want to vacation in another part of the country. Wonder if he's considering suing the people who gather data on crime because that may also be a deterrent to "his" vacationers. Just sorry to see that he found his target and that our laws will allow him to pursue this.

Old 12-01-2007, 09:45 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
The guy with the alternative plywood business is an idiot.

"Hey, somebody check the hurricane forecast and buy some material if it's going to be bad."

"Jimbob, have you looked at the definition of forecast in the dictionary yet? Well hurry up, there's a big wall of clouds off the coast!"

Forecast \Fore*cast"\, v. t.
1. To plan beforehand; to scheme; to project.

To scheme is my favorite. Kinda like the hotel whiner scheming to make money from a lawsuit. He'd rather have a few thousand people take the chance on getting hurt in a storm than care about their welfare. Besides, I really doubt the weather forecast has much to do with the decision to plan a convention months in advance. If he's losing business it probably has more to do with lousy staff and lumpy mattresses.

If he gets away with it Iowa farmers are going to have a heyday! Wait, Iowa farmers have more class than that.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:24 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
That is absolutely unbelievable!!! Thank you, Sunny for posting this. Too bad the hotel mogul didn't realize that you can only see "The Mouse" about so many times and we may want to vacation in another part of the country. Wonder if he's considering suing the people who gather data on crime because that may also be a deterrent to "his" vacationers. Just sorry to see that he found his target and that our laws will allow him to pursue this.
Wholeheartedly agree. However, as I stated in another thread this predicting of number of hurricanes is a farce and the practice should stop until they are more accurate. Its embarrassing to all weather forecasters to hear some idiot say we are going to have 15 storms and 8 hurricanes as a guess! Then have the audacity to change it halfway through. A joke.

Old 12-01-2007, 03:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. However, as I stated in another thread this predicting of number of hurricanes is a farce and the practice should stop until they are more accurate. Its embarrassing to all weather forecasters to hear some idiot say we are going to have 15 storms and 8 hurricanes as a guess! Then have the audacity to change it halfway through. A joke.
Wow, never thought of it that way. Not so much that they're trying to predict the season, but that they're doing it too early/without enough data.

Good point.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:06 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,160,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Wow, never thought of it that way. Not so much that they're trying to predict the season, but that they're doing it too early/without enough data.

Good point.
Thanks...they will not have enough data to predict long term for a long time, I am just glad the short term forecasting has gotten more accurate.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
How silly. If you really love vacationing in hurricane prone areas you simply should have the good sense to check the weather channnel to see if they're pointing out if a hurricane is coming. IF not, you simply go down there and enjoy yourself.

So I wonder if the cruise ship business was down? I would think people who are paranoid about hurricanes would avoid those things like the plague during hurricane season.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Well, I have no way of knowing what his hotel is like, BUT we have stayed at a couple different hotels in Fla. that we would never go back to and it has nothing to do with canes. Maybe he owns one of them and it needs to be cleaned up a bit????

Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
If anyone knows which one this person owns I would love for you to share so I can look them up on tripadvisor and get the real scoop.

If I was to plan a trip or convention during the peak of hurricane season I think that you would be smart enough to buy trip insurance so I am not sure who is at a real loss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather