Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 02:46 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,454,891 times

Advertisements

I always surprised that most of people strongly prefer hot and sunny weather. I hated hot weather most of my life. I just can't wait for refreshing rain in summer, which many people, probably, find to be weird, because they think that hot and sunny weather is the best type of weather in the world. When I was in Greece in summer, it was way too hot, I just can't imagine how people can enjoy this type of weather. I was so glad when I saw rare summer rain in Greece. And it's when Greece is far not the hottest place in the world. Obviously, anyone can have own opinion, I just want to know, why do so much people like hot weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM

3,990 posts, read 3,397,709 times
I generally feel the same way as you do, but currently I feel a little melancholic for the summer heat and the long, lazy summer afternoons that come hand in hand with the heat when you had nothing at all to do. However, I absolutely adore the summer rain and the way it brings life back to the vegetation.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:21 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,688,800 times
We've had about 10,000,000,000,000 threads about this before.

And anyhow, I do not believe "most people like hot weather". Most people actually prefer pleasant comfortable neutral temperatures, like the 70's, and sunshine, because for a lot of people it cheers them up, and allows them to do more outside in physical comfort. People like to relax outside at indoor-like temperatures and with the sun and why not?

People who actually like hot weather, are the real minority, not people who like cold. Very few people can claim to really appreciate real heat (like I do) and be serious about it - such people often are the first to complain when it's hot. Whereas I love it.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:32 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
I don't mind when it gets hot but I prefer a natural 75-85 F

Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
I'm gonna have to agree with MeteoMan. I think more people like or tolerate cold weather than blisteringly hot weather well into the 90s and around 100. I hate it. I prefer temps 60-73 degrees. Thursday is going to be in the low 60s here, I'm so glad about that

Old 12-03-2013, 04:47 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
^^ I am much more comfortable in 90s than below freezing

Old 12-03-2013, 05:27 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm gonna have to agree with MeteoMan. I think more people like or tolerate cold weather than blisteringly hot weather well into the 90s and around 100. I hate it. I prefer temps 60-73 degrees. Thursday is going to be in the low 60s here, I'm so glad about that
It's interesting that you pitted [plain] cold against blistering heat. I think plain heat (80's/90's) trumps plain cold (20's/30's) in the eyes of the general public. I see people on here complain about the media's anti-cold bias, but I think the general public shares those same views. Personally, I don't know anyone who would choose 35 degrees over 85 degrees, the former isn't really seen as enjoyable.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:14 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Both hot and cold weather is overrated.

Surprisingly many people here seem to prefer snowy cold weather. I certainly don't.

I like a mild weather - anything in the 20s (Celsius).

Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,215,512 times
Being from the Deep South in my roots of birth and original heritage, I would say I prefer warm or hot weather over extremely cold weather, although I enjoy snow storms and other winter precipitation as much as I do enjoy thunderstorms and heavy rain events. I find that I actually prefer a quite hazy hot summer afternoon over a bitterly cold sunny day with howling winds with -10 to -25 Degree Fahrenheit wind chills. So to answer I am not one to find hot weather to be overly rated IMO

Old 12-03-2013, 07:35 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Being from the Deep South in my roots of birth and original heritage, I would say I prefer warm or hot weather over extremely cold weather, although I enjoy snow storms and other winter precipitation as much as I do enjoy thunderstorms and heavy rain events. I find that I actually prefer a quite hazy hot summer afternoon over a bitterly cold sunny day with howling winds with -10 to -25 Degree Fahrenheit wind chills. So to answer I am not one to find hot weather to be overly rated IMO
Lol, I'm from WAY further south than you and I hate the heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It's interesting that you pitted [plain] cold against blistering heat. I think plain heat (80's/90's) trumps plain cold (20's/30's) in the eyes of the general public. I see people on here complain about the media's anti-cold bias, but I think the general public shares those same views. Personally, I don't know anyone who would choose 35 degrees over 85 degrees, the former isn't really seen as enjoyable.
I think slightly. But, I think a lot of it has to do with people not dressing up properly for the cold weather, whereas it's very easy putting on shorts and a t-shirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather