Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 02:43 AM

753 posts, read 838,428 times

Advertisements

I think the importance of lows is being overstated here. If it was 10 degrees in Saskatoon vs 18 in London that would be one thing, but 11 vs 13 really doesn't make that big of a difference, especially when Saskatoon's highs are a couple degrees higher. Vancouver has average lows of 14 in July and August but it doesn't feel as warm as Saskatoon during the summer despite warmer nights and higher daily mean temperatures.

Saskatoon may be prone to the occasional cool day in the summer but those are the exception and not the rule, and tend to be overstated - this past summer, for example, recorded 10 highs below 20°C, and 12 highs above 30°C. Most days are solidly in the 20s and periods of intense heat are more common than in London - when I was a kid it was quite normal for Saskatoon to hit temperatures in the high 30s most summers. The last few summers have been a bit milder but even then there have been a number of days in the 30s each year, some of those combined with high dew points.

London is more consistently warm for sure, but Saskatoon can get quite hot at times and most days are at least as warm as in London. It certainly isn't a "cool" summer by any stretch of the imagination.

As for which one I prefer, definitely Saskatoon. I'm sure London is quite pleasant in the summer as well, but I'll take those beautiful prairie summers any time over any oceanic summer.

Last edited by Morningrise; 01-01-2014 at 02:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 03:27 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
I wouldn't say I was very surprised that London has a higher mean temp in summer. But I was surprised how low the low temps are. Even more so, when I reflect to my climate. June this year had exactly Saskatoon's average high temp, and the low here was 12.6C. In 2011 we had an average high of 25.4C in July which is an average in Saskatoon, and that month yielded a low of 16.4C.
And I'm happy it's the case. As it's light out for 18 hours a day, it would be terrible to wake up to 7C temps in the morning.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I wouldn't say I was very surprised that London has a higher mean temp in summer. But I was surprised how low the low temps are. Even more so, when I reflect to my climate. June this year had exactly Saskatoon's average high temp, and the low here was 12.6C. In 2011 we had an average high of 25.4C in July which is an average in Saskatoon, and that month yielded a low of 16.4C.
And I'm happy it's the case. As it's light out for 18 hours a day, it would be terrible to wake up to 7C temps in the morning.
I must say I'm surprised as well that it's so warm in Finland! 25 C average high in July is more typical of Paris. Are you in a sheltered, inland location?

Old 01-01-2014, 04:45 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
I must say I'm surprised as well that it's so warm in Finland! 25 C average high in July is more typical of Paris. Are you in a sheltered, inland location?
He was talking about 2011 I believe.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:48 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,818,168 times
Quote:
Your July 2011 average high was exactly the same as my July this year, but your lows were over 3C higher!

Old 01-01-2014, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
He was talking about 2011 I believe.
Yeah, I meant average high for July 2011. Even for a one-year occurrence, it's remarkable.

Old 01-01-2014, 05:38 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,606,142 times
Quote:
No surprise here.

Saskatoon is located in the middle of the northern prairies, very far from ocean/sea.
Also almost a semi arid environment at over 1,000 ft elevation.

Where you are in Finland is opposite, Baltic Sea, almost sea level, not semi arid prairie.
So naturally lows will be lower for any given temp in Saskatoon, much bigger diurnal range too.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:04 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,733,717 times
Before clicking, I had no idea which city was warmer as the Canadian Prairies are known for their high diurnal range. Also, after Edmonton, Saskatoon is the northernmost "sizeable" city in Canada. Not a recipe for a hot summer mean. So no, I'm not surprised. Had it been Winnipeg or Calgary vs London, the answer would've been easier.

I too think that low temps are less important in summer than in winter since most people are asleep when they occur. In winter, however, it often coincides with one's morning commute. When hiking in the mountains in summer, leving early, I often notice rime on the grass in the valleys. Getting up a couple hours later, it already feels warmish in the sun and one forgets that the place is frost-prone. Those who wake up late actually don't believe it until they see frost themselves.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-01-2014 at 06:15 AM..

Old 01-01-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
When hiking in the mountains in summer, leving early, I often notice rime on the grass in the valleys.
Interesting. Where is this (Jura?) and what elevation are these valleys? Also which are the summer months that you noticed this in?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:20 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
In my current hometown Turku on the SW coast of Finland the average high in July in the 2000's has been 23.1C, and in my old hometown Helsinki on the S coast 23.5C. Yeah, I guess it's quite good for the latitude, which is 60N for both locations. In Helsinki July 2010 was the warmest ever, with a hi/lo of 27.6C/17.2C.

I'm in a sheltered coastal location with high humidity all year round.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
Your July 2011 average high was exactly the same as my July this year, but your lows were over 3C higher!
Keep in mind that I'm on the coast of a brackish sea with a very low inflow, so therefore it warms up quite much opposite to the Western Approaches. Also, the solar radiation is above 1 UV from 8 to 19. (Ok, not much of a difference to Yeovilton, maybe 15-20 minutes in both ends, but compared to Saskatoon it may play a small part. And we are also much sunnier than most parts of interior English locations, which accelerates the rise in temps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
Saskatoon is located in the middle of the northern prairies, very far from ocean/sea.
Also almost a semi arid environment at over 1,000 ft elevation.

Where you are in Finland is opposite, Baltic Sea, almost sea level, not semi arid prairie.
So naturally lows will be lower for any given temp in Saskatoon, much bigger diurnal range too.
Exactly. The weather station is 4 km from the coast at 8 m asl, summer nights are short and the humidity is high. That creates the difference.

This summer we had 13 nights below 10C, and two of those were 9.9C. Jun-Aug hi/lo was 22.3C/12.7C.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather