Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more likely?
Blizzard dropping a foot of snow in Miami 17 34.69%
Direct hit from a cat 5 hurricane in Newfoundland 32 65.31%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:57 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,451,399 times

Advertisements

I would say Miami is more likely to get 1 ft of snow. I currently live in Tampa, FL and it has snowed here. Not anytime recent. The last snow that accumulated anything was back in 1977. (I googled that fact before I moved here!) All it takes is ONE horrible cold day Artic blast, as long as there is snow in the forecast to bring 1 ft of snow here. We had a possibility for snow 2 winters ago (just a dusting) but it didn't happen.

However, w/ Newfoundland, the water is WAY too cold. It would have to be EXTREMELY warm the entire summer. I used to live in MA, and a favorite beach of mine was Hampton Beach in NH. Now, it was the favorite beach for the boardwalk, shops, etc. NOT for the water. They show the temperature of the water... and I remember it was August and the water was 55. Newfoundland is even further north!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 07:04 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
I got off the boat in Port au Basques and headed up toward Corner Brook. I was the second vehicle up the road. The first one was a big white Oldsmobile. He hit a snowdrift and disappeared into it. I hit the brakes and got on the CB radio and told the trucks behind me to pull over. They were not going anywhere. The road in Port was blown clear in the howling wind, but the snow was 15 feet deep in the rock cut going out of town. I drove to the nearest motel and told them to get ready. I got a room. Many did not. The place was full in 20 minutes. The storm increased and at around 11 PM the roof blew off the motel, leaving all the rooms on the second floor with no ceilings. They were outdoors inside a motel during a howling blizzard.

There was no power. The only place with power in Port was at the Pizza Hut. Can this get any more incongruous? When the RCMP arrived at the motel I told them about the white Oldsmobile and they sent a very big bucket loader out to dig for it. The following afternoon they had one lane open on the Trans Canada. They would let about 40 vehicles go north to the first Irving gas station. Then 40 vehicles would go south on the one lane. I did make it to Stephenville and Corner Brook. I did not make it to Grand Falls on that trip.

Class five? Maybe not, but far more impressive than any blizzard that ever happened in Miami.

Old 05-19-2014, 10:10 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty458 View Post
I would say Miami is more likely to get 1 ft of snow. I currently live in Tampa, FL and it has snowed here. Not anytime recent. The last snow that accumulated anything was back in 1977. (I googled that fact before I moved here!) All it takes is ONE horrible cold day Artic blast, as long as there is snow in the forecast to bring 1 ft of snow here. We had a possibility for snow 2 winters ago (just a dusting) but it didn't happen.

However, w/ Newfoundland, the water is WAY too cold. It would have to be EXTREMELY warm the entire summer. I used to live in MA, and a favorite beach of mine was Hampton Beach in NH. Now, it was the favorite beach for the boardwalk, shops, etc. NOT for the water. They show the temperature of the water... and I remember it was August and the water was 55. Newfoundland is even further north!
It doesn't matter if the water is very cold if a storm travels quick enough to make landfall there after it gains the strength from warmer waters

Old 05-20-2014, 05:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
It doesn't matter if the water is very cold if a storm travels quick enough to make landfall there after it gains the strength from warmer waters
check the link I posted (on cat 5 hurricane hitting NYC). Fast moving storm means the upper level winds are unusually strong and could damage the storm via wind shear.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:35 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,201,678 times
If a hurricane can hit New Jersey in late October as a super-storm, why cant Newfoundland see a hurricane in August. Miami is far less likely to see snow than Newfoundland seeing a hurricane the way things are going.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:40 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
If a hurricane can hit New Jersey in late October as a super-storm, why cant Newfoundland see a hurricane in August. Miami is far less likely to see snow than Newfoundland seeing a hurricane the way things are going.
Newfoundland can see a hurricane in the summer (last was in 2010). However, the issue is having a category 5 hurricane which are thankfully rare and easier weaken to lower category hurricanes with wind shear or cooler water. No category 5 hurricane has made landfall north of Florida in recent history.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:54 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Even the Long Island Hurricane weakened a category or two before it made landfall in NYC and it was moving north at an unprecedented 70 mph - now imagine it having to travel an additional 700 miles, and you can see just how difficult it would be for all of the factors to line up. It could happen and probably has happened at some point, but it's much more difficult to get a Category 5 hurricane in Newfoundland than a blizzard in South Florida. If you ask me a Newfoundland Cat 5 would be more comparable in difficulty to a blizzard in Cuba than a blizzard in Miami.

Even moving very fast over unusually warm (but still hurricane-hostile) water and air patterns there will be weakening of at least 20-40 mph in terms of peak wind speed no matter what the structure is, so your scenario would only work out if the hurricane started out extraordinarily powerful, let's say 200 or 210 mph sustained winds that weaken to 160 mph. An extraordinarily powerful annular hurricane that was moving very quickly could probably do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Newfoundland can see a hurricane in the summer (last was in 2010). However, the issue is having a category 5 hurricane which are thankfully rare and easier weaken to lower category hurricanes with wind shear or cooler water. No category 5 hurricane has made landfall north of Florida in recent history.
In the period of record (roughly the past 160 years), no hurricane has maintained Category 5 strength as far north as Bermuda's latitude; if the two hurricanes that almost made it to Bermuda's latitude recurved later they would have made landfall in South Carolina. That's still a long way from even New York, let alone Newfoundland, and it's a much longer way from Bermuda to Newfoundland than from Savannah to Miami (in the blizzard scenario).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Heck, the way things are going we'll probably see a Newfoundland hurricane and a Gulf Coast blizzard simultaneously one of these days. Given a powerful storm with a Sandy-like pulldown of cold air and enough lift in the South it could happen; considering that West Virginia got 3 feet of snow and the Lower Midwest got light accumulations during Sandy, Lower South snow in such a setup is not a huge stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather