Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 03:43 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,315,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene85 View Post
It seems that most people on this board love sunny weather... I understand that many folks don't like rain because it doensn't allow outdoor activities. But what's wrong with cloudy days with no rain? I love them.

It gets really boring when the sky is completely clear for several days in a row. I hate being out in the sun, I feel like my skin is burning and I have to wear sunglasses all the time. Driving in the sun is not fun, either.

I would kill myself if I had to live in cities like Phoenix or Las Vegas. 2,000 sunshine hours per year is about perfect for me.
I agree. I live in Southern California (about 8 miles inland from the nearest coast), and one of my biggest peeves about So. Cal is the weather: it gets too hot here and stays too hot for too long.

It's not unusual for 80+ degree weather on Thanksgiving and Christmas Days (New Years, too). I mean, that's absurd. I'm all for July and August being hot (because that is summer), but December, January, February ? -- that's winter and is supposed to be at least cool. But we have hot spells in the dead of winter.

And So. Cal gets credited by many people as having the best weather in the nation. But I've never felt that way.

If you like summer weather that lasts about 8 months out of the year, and if you like mild winters that only deliver about 15 or so inches of rain a year with many sunny days, then yeah, you'll love So. Cal. But I hate it.

I love cloudy, cool weather (including rainy weather), and I get happy (and energetic) when we have the occasional big winter storm pass through. For me, hot, sunny weather saps my energy and makes me sort of irritable; cool, cloudy weather, on the other hand, makes me feel energetic and upbeat -- I simply feel better when it's cooler. This is why I try to be spend time in San Francisco as often as possible, because to me, SF weather is optimal: rarely hot, often cloudy, cool, and misty. Perfection!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
Obvious.

Featureless sky but dull, gloom, no colour, unlike with sunshine.
Associated with wet cold and windy weather, in my country.
Warm days are almost always sunny (that's the only way it can really get "warm" here - a cloudy day in a warm airmass is much colder than if the sun shined).

Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM

3,279 posts, read 5,315,493 times
I will tell you what's wrong with cloudy days--they're totally pointless. It should either rain or be sunny, nothing else. Rain replenishes the water table, sunshine makes most people feel like enjoying the outdoors in ways they don't when those dreary and depressing clouds insist on making everything gray and dull.

You ever hear the phrase "doo doo or get off the pot?" That's exactly it. Either rain, or be sunny--absolutely nothing else, ever. Cloudy days means it's doing neither, and is a total waste of time. It's the same thing as sitting on the pot and not "going," if you're going to "go" (that is, rain), then DO it, else GET OFF (meaning, bring the sunshine out already).

Some amount of rain is necessary, so it's going to have to rain some, so okay--do that. However, once you're done, what's the point of clouds? If I'm being opinionated to the point of being rude, forgive me, but cloudy days bother most normal people, people who like to see something cheerful and upbeat. Cloudy days are depressing, and if it's going to do that, it might as well rain and accomplish something with respect to water levels and tables etc.

The only time cloudy days can be a relief is if you've had several days of it being 93-98'F or so and you're being flat-out cooked, and the clouds provide a bit of a break. Even then, though, after awhile, rain already--temps like that will dry things out a lot, so rain and replenish them. If you're not going to do that, then go away and STAY AWAY until you can rain and actually DO something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene85 View Post
I'm in a better mood when it's cloudy and rainy. I actually feel like it's harder for me to get my work done when it's sunny and hot(
Yes, if you are trying to get work done in the yard, then yes it is, if for no other reason than you don't have pretty weather distracting you from the task at hand (or the heat being oppressive, if it's, say, 85-90 or more).

That said, to me, life is just awful if everything is geared towards work as the priority. To me, the #1 priority of life is fun. I'd rather have weather that is conducive to fun than weather that is conducive to a life of being comfortable while being slave driven with manual labor grunt work all the time. Ugh. You can have that. I'd rather work inside where it's always going to be comfortable (in most sane jobs, anyway) and then enjoy my fun afterwards. Manual labor outdoors after I've worked at a job can go suck a fat Oscar Meyer as far as I care. Those leaves on the lawn aren't hurting anything, who gives a rip? I'd rather be at the lake actually enjoying life.

Last edited by shyguylh; 08-08-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 08-08-2014, 04:20 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,427,121 times
If I plan on being indoors, I like cloudy weather. Prevents my room from heating too much. Cloudy, rainless weather can be great! It's nice to be able to enjoy the outdoors without having the sun blaring down on you. I dislike being out in the sun, but will tolerate it to enjoy the outdoors. However, for me it's a lot more complex than simply loving one type of sky and hating the other type. I find sunny weather to be a mood elevator. Especially in summer, I love a nice sunny outdoor scene. In winter, sunny days can be annoying. Still, I wouldn't like it if the sun only rarely came out. That would be rather depressing.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:22 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,555,912 times
Cloudy is fine. Overcast with no definition in the sky and dry is pretty bad though. Fog is also really bad.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:38 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
A poll would of been fun, or maybe its been done?

Sun = squinting, glaring, burning, overheating, sweating. Last I checked those were annoying and unhappy moments.

I prefer clouds in day, clear at night. Unless there's a snowstorm of course. A weight lifts off my shoulders when its cloudy. Less depressed.

I don't mind sun when temps are below 20F

Old 08-08-2014, 04:43 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
I don't mind cloud too much, as long as it's accompany by rainy weather. Cloudiness with no rain is useless especially in the summer.

I think that due to liking either hot sunny steamy weather or cool wet rainy weather makes how I view cloudy days complicated.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:48 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,686,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I prefer clouds in day, clear at night.
You'll love English summers then. It's like that every day in summer and 68°F.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:50 PM

43 posts, read 80,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I will tell you what's wrong with cloudy days--they're totally pointless. It should either rain or be sunny, nothing else. Rain replenishes the water table, sunshine makes most people feel like enjoying the outdoors in ways they don't when those dreary and depressing clouds insist on making everything gray and dull.
What's the point of clouds?

They usually keep temperatures cooler
You don't get sunburn
Your car doesn't turn into an oven when it's parked outside
You don't need to use those sun visors while driving

And so on.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:52 PM

865 posts, read 1,076,341 times
I don't despise cloudy weather, I just get fed up of the constant cloud cover and the resulting depressed temperatures (in late spring and summer). When I've spent long spells of time in relentlessly sunny climes, I have tended to yearn for the gloomy skies of home.

On average, we get between 1200 and 1300 hours of sunshine a year in my location, so I would have no complaints about the sunshine records of somewhere like Seattle. Even the south coast of England would be somewhat acceptable to me in that regard. 2200-2500 hours would probably be around the ideal yearly average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather