Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which climate is better for you?
Bodie, CA (High Elevation Plateau with harsh winds and cold temperatures) 19 70.37%
Death Valley (Driest and hottest place in the U.S) 8 29.63%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 10:51 AM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times

Advertisements

Here's another battle between two of the worst climates in a state known for it's mild, benign, comfortable year-round weather.

Bodie California- Subarctic dry summer climate located on a high elevation plateau with extreme diurnal ranges, windy conditions, and distinct four seasons with very snowy and windy winters. Average winter temperatures aren't too bad but factor in the wind chill factor and also look at the record lows going into the -40 range. Summers are dry and sunny but have extreme diurnal ranges with temperatures very comfortable during the day but most nights go below freezing. Imagine wearing jacket, gloves, and scarf on July mornings to get down to shorts and a T by 2PM- Bodie, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-
Death Valley- The hottest summer temperatures in the United States with less than 2 inches of rain per year. Summer days over 120 F are the norm but winters are extremely comfortable. Spending any significant amounts of time outside during the summer can be lethal. Who cares if it's a dry heat- it's gonna feel like a furnace to walk into those temperatures although the nights are manageable.
Death Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,795,521 times
Scary! I thought and thought and thought... And it's a total tie for me. Equally harsh D climates.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,888,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Scary! I thought and thought and thought... And it's a total tie for me. Equally harsh D climates.
That's the whole idea

Old 03-19-2013, 04:19 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,377,015 times
During my years living in CA I never did make it to visit Bodie but I did take several short vacations in DV in late winter thru mid spring, camping at Furnace Creek. The latest was in mid-May with temps up around 114 at the hottest. The pool, fed by an underground spring is about 88 degrees and just a short walk from the campsites past the date orchards.

I recall talking with a number of park employees who were older folks, retired from the regular grind and working 6 months at DV and then 6 months at the Grand Canyon and they seemed to love it.

Reading the description about Bodie I have to say that the winds would be a deciding factor for me.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:23 PM

559 posts, read 748,241 times
Bodie in a heartbeat.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:32 PM

504 posts, read 852,433 times
They're both miserable, but ended up going with Death Valley. The 100mph winds was the bit that pushed me away from Bodie in the end.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:51 PM

477 posts, read 803,022 times
Bodie

Though I'd like to point out there are some much nicer/less extreme high altitude desert climates in
California, like Bishop.

Or if you like alittle more heat but not the furnace-like heat of Death Valley, then
Victorville or Palmdale in the mojave desert are good.

Or if you prefer colder Bodie-like winter but a warmer summer, Susanville in far NE California is nice too

California is really amazing, so many climate zones!

Old 03-19-2013, 06:06 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,508,520 times
This was kind of hard, but I'm going with Bodie. I really don't like the high dirunial ranges. The average July low is barely above freezing! I'm sure hard freezes aren't all that uncommon in the summer. I would just die in Death Valley though... comfortable winters or not.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,909 times
Death Valley for me. Bodie looks like a really interesting place though.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:29 AM

775 posts, read 1,169,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdriannaSmiling View Post
Here's another battle between two of the worst climates in a state known for it's mild, benign, comfortable year-round weather.

Bodie California- Subarctic dry summer climate located on a high elevation plateau with extreme diurnal ranges, windy conditions, and distinct four seasons with very snowy and windy winters. Average winter temperatures aren't too bad but factor in the wind chill factor and also look at the record lows going into the -40 range. Summers are dry and sunny but have extreme diurnal ranges with temperatures very comfortable during the day but most nights go below freezing. Imagine wearing jacket, gloves, and scarf on July mornings to get down to shorts and a T by 2PM- Bodie, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
-
Death Valley- The hottest summer temperatures in the United States with less than 2 inches of rain per year. Summer days over 120 F are the norm but winters are extremely comfortable. Spending any significant amounts of time outside during the summer can be lethal. Who cares if it's a dry heat- it's gonna feel like a furnace to walk into those temperatures although the nights are manageable.
Death Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Bodie for me, I love those wild diurnal ranges. You'd only be in shorts and t for a few hours though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather