Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2016, 06:47 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,364,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
A couple hours of sun in winter is alright. I would like 24 hour darkness for a month or two; more than that and maybe I'd start to see some adverse physiological or psychological effects. I wonder how people in cities like Tromso or Murmansk deal with it, mostly well/mixed/not so well?

Still translates to 2+ hours a day of sun above horizon: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairbanks,_Alaska#Climate
It would just seem weird for it to be dark 24 hours of the day. I love seeing the low glow of the sun at the sun angle around sunset, which is how it would be around winter solstice in Fairbanks. Two hours of a low glow in the sky is about perfect
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morningrise View Post
And equal to Vancouver in the first week of August.

As of March 1st we're at 33.6° at solar noon... only slightly higher than yours at the winter solstice.
Actually my sun angle is around 40.5 degrees in winter solstice lol. I hate how high the sun angle is here all year. The sun angle is higher than your mid-summer angle six months out of the year here.....I like a weak sun with a golden glow. It's beautiful.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:09 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,775,010 times
^ 35F and clear skies with maybe a 40* sun angle glittering over a fresh covering of snow is better

Old 03-01-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
^ 35F and clear skies with maybe a 40* sun angle glittering over a fresh covering of snow is better
That's both too warm and too high of a sun for that scenario lol. 0 F with a 10 degree sun angle at mid-day is better.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
That's both too warm and too high of a sun for that scenario lol. 0 F with a 10 degree sun angle at mid-day is better.
Lol. I'd take a 50/70 day over that in winter for sure. That type of weather is beautiful in its own way but is also disgustingly cold and gloomy. I'd much rather be able to enjoy the landscape and snow in pants and only a fleece and jacket. Not bundled up like some ****ing eskimo (or a Miami local when it's in the 50's). I went skiing in below 0F temps before, cloudy and windy as well. Not an experience I'm too keen on reliving. Maybe a 35* sun angle would be better.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:17 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
It would just seem weird for it to be dark 24 hours of the day. I love seeing the low glow of the sun at the sun angle around sunset, which is how it would be around winter solstice in Fairbanks. Two hours of a low glow in the sky is about perfect
That does look very nice . at those latitudes there is little light pollution so night sky is gorgeous plus you get to see auroras.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
Lol. I'd take a 50/70 day over that in winter for sure. That type of weather is beautiful in its own way but is also disgustingly cold and gloomy. I'd much rather be able to enjoy the landscape and snow in pants and only a fleece and jacket. Not bundked up like some ****ing eskimo (or a Miami local when it's in the 50's). I went skiing in below 0F temps before, cloudy and windy as well. Not an experience I'm too keen on reliving. Maybe a 35* sun angle would be better.
I'd rather the snow not melt lol. And in my scenario, it's not cloudy.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I'd rather the snow not melt lol. And in my scenario, it's not cloudy.
I don't like a long-lasting snowpack so above freezing is generally better in this scenario. 35F isn't so warm that it'd become and ugly slushy mess. Rather it would be more likely to gracefully fade over the course of a few days leading to a reliable bare period before the next snowfall.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:36 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,167 times
Quote:
Actually my sun angle is around 40.5 degrees in winter solstice lol. I hate how high the sun angle is here all year. The sun angle is higher than your mid-summer angle six months out of the year here.....I like a weak sun with a golden glow. It's beautiful.
My is 31.6 degrees on the winter solstice.

Old 03-02-2016, 11:38 AM

753 posts, read 838,235 times
Quote:
Yeah my mistake, I think I accidentally read your 40.5 degrees as 30.5 haha. I definitely agree about the weaker sun. I'm fairly sun-sensitive and enjoy having a long period of the year where I can go out without having to wear sunglasses.

Summer sun is still on the strong side for me but way better than at lower latitudes. And the high UV part of the day is usually only from 10:00 to 4:00 or so (9:00 to 5:00 on some days), afterwards we get hours of gentle sunshine and a long slow fade into the night. Love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather