Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 02:01 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,772,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
what are you talking about you talk about the south as you live here yet you live no where near it. now your saying Philadelphia is greener than the south? there is plenty of green grass in winter here yes Bermuda grass is the most common here but in winter it turns tan and no where near brown. there are only 2 things that separate winter from spring here, the temperature and the deciduous trees actually 3 when I include the grass. and grass here changes color based on SOIL TEMPS. Bermuda grass goes dormant and changes color once the soil temp goes below 55. a sunny winters day even when its 40 degrees here doesn't feel all that cold. birds everywhere chirping still bugs around crickets chirping in daytime. winter is lively here. funny how now people all the way in Europe and other parts of this country and earth are here talking about the south as if they live here and almost all people who actually live in the south who have posted here have posted something very contrary to what these guys are saying lol.
Insect and bird life during winter say a lot about the subtropical-ness of a climate. Much more than any other indicator, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 02:06 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,399,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Insect and bird life during winter say a lot about the subtropical-ness of a climate. Much more than any other indicator, in my opinion.
But insect and bird life in NC during winter would be zero to none. I lived in a climate that was slightly warmer than that poster's (Atlanta, GA area) and the insect and bird life in winter was none. I noticed the first bees/wasps would come around mid March-early April.

Even in Tallahassee when I lived there, insect life from Dec-Feb was nearly non-existent. That poster tries to make NC out to be warmer than it is, I've noticed.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
But insect and bird life in NC during winter would be zero to none. I lived in a climate that was slightly warmer than that poster's (Atlanta, GA area) and the insect and bird life in winter was none. I noticed the first bees/wasps would come around mid March-early April.

Even in Tallahassee when I lived there, insect life from Dec-Feb was nearly non-existent. That poster tries to make NC out to be warmer than it is, I've noticed.
I would have thought Tallahassee would have plenty of insect activity during winter, or does it just seem quiet because the rest of the year is so busy?

Bees/wasps are a year round thing here, although the level of activity is much reduced during winter.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:18 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,630,754 times
Quote:
Birds are active throughout the winter here. I went to Richmond Park a few times in the winter and there were parakeets, crows and some smaller birds flying around. It's common to see spiders and flies such as midges/mosquitoes in winter as well.

I certainly wouldn't consider us subtropical though.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:19 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,399,209 times
Quote:
I would have thought Tallahassee would have plenty of insect activity during winter, or does it just seem quiet because the rest of the year is so busy?

Bees/wasps are a year round thing here, although the level of activity is much reduced during winter.
Tallahassee averages 30-40 nights below freezing a year, with maybe 5-7 nights below -5 C (I might be being a bit generous here). Maybe the fact that Tallahassee has stronger cold snaps than your area accounts for the less insect activity?

You could be right about the rest of the year being so busy that the quiet season seems quieter, but I didn't really notice any insects when I lived up there between November- early March. Maybe a couple of flies here and there on warmer than avg days.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Tallahassee averages 30-40 nights below freezing a year, with maybe 5-7 nights below -5 C (I might be being a bit generous here). Maybe the fact that Tallahassee has stronger cold snaps than your area accounts for the less insect activity?

You could be right about the rest of the year being so busy that the quiet season seems quieter, but I didn't really notice any insects when I lived up there between November- early March. Maybe a couple of flies here and there on warmer than avg days.
Interesting. 39 freezing nights here a year, but no colder than -4.1C on average. Only radiation frost as well, so temperatures under tree cover never drop below freezing.

Even the coldest days here will have audible cricket and katydid activity, as long as the sun is shining.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:26 PM
B87

We get about 25-30 frost days here, the average absolute low is -5.2c.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Birds are active throughout the winter here. I went to Richmond Park a few times in the winter and there were parakeets, crows and some smaller birds flying around. It's common to see spiders and flies such as midges/mosquitoes in winter as well.

I certainly wouldn't consider us subtropical though.
How about bees, crickets, katydids, ants etc?

Old 04-30-2015, 02:34 PM
B87

Quote:
How about bees, crickets, katydids, ants etc"
Ants and bees usually appear in February. Crickets and grasshoppers are usually seen from April until Nov/Dec.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:10 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,935,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
Lol no, you're just a troll and I don't take your bait
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
He was always telling me he "owned" me in a debate. The poster is one of the most delusionsional I have ever come across.
Oh please, just admit that I owned you all so hard in debate you can't even gather up the energy to refute my posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
Even in a cold winter, still looks lush and green up at 51N.
Same goes for Northwestern US, as far north as even Southeast Alaska.

Quote:
But those streetviews from England in Jan 2009 are more lush green in winter than anything you would see in the Mid-Atlantic or interior South. There seem to be more broadleaf evergreens around than here. They are mostly planted in the UK and not native, since I don't think there are many native broadleaf evergreens in the British Isles.

The major problem with the interior south imo is that dead brown grass they all use. Our grass here, with colder winters, generally stays far more green than that winter hay they all have on their highway medians and lawns. When you combine the leafless trees, with the brown grass, it makes it look as dead as inland Canada lol. Many subtropical climates, or even most, have some leafless trees in winter, but when surrounded with lush green grass does not look nearly as "dead".
Lots of green, both in the grass, and on trees, to be seen in areas of the inland South during winter. You need to start traveling more.

Quote:
And that points out one of the problems with their climate. They get so hot in summer they need hot weather loving grasses, since no one wants dead grass in summer. But then when winter comes those tropical grasses cannot take temps down below 32F. Only deep down into Florida does warm season grass stay green in winter. One night of 32F and it turns brown. I see it happen here with the few lawns that use it. Every year in November their grass quickly turns totally brown.

So, it is the extreme continental nature of the southern climate that mars it. When you get such heat in summer, and then the winter gets very cold spells, it reveals the fact the south is continental mixed with mild winter "averages". If their winters were more stable and they only dropped 10F below their winter low mean temps, it would be more like a lush green paradise in winter. But it doesn't. It goes 20-30F below average every winter. That is brutal. It is more of a strange hybrid of subtropical and continental than anywhere else.

Columbus, GA in winter 2014 dropped 27F below avg, 19F below avg, and 24F below avg. Winter 2015 they dropped 23F below, 24F below, and 23F below. What else in the world at 32N and sea level drops that far below average that often? I would guess no where.

If summers there were more like our summer weather, then combined with their winters, their grass would stay green all year round and make a big difference in the winter look.
Any person that calls the South continental needs a ticket to the short bus.

Heat? What heat? The South is no hotter than many other subtropical climates during the summer. Furthermore, unlike many subtropical regions on Earth, the South is blessed with copious, copious amounts of rain, in the form of epic thunderstorms, all arriving straight from the oceans; hows that for contiental?

During winter, the South actually tries to maintain its warm, natural state; daily low temps in some cities in the region can be over 60F, even in the middle of winter, straight-up tropical levels, and such conditions would remain constant if not for interruptions by cold fronts. Imagine tropical climates extending across the entire Gulf Coast, encompassing cities like Houston, New Orleans, Mobile, Tampa, etc. That is an idea of how warm the South will be in a natural state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
what are you talking about you talk about the south as you live here yet you live no where near it. now your saying Philadelphia is greener than the south? there is plenty of green grass in winter here yes Bermuda grass is the most common here but in winter it turns tan and no where near brown. there are only 2 things that separate winter from spring here, the temperature and the deciduous trees actually 3 when I include the grass. and grass here changes color based on SOIL TEMPS. Bermuda grass goes dormant and changes color once the soil temp goes below 55. a sunny winters day even when its 40 degrees here doesn't feel all that cold. birds everywhere chirping still bugs around crickets chirping in daytime. winter is lively here. funny how now people all the way in Europe and other parts of this country and earth are here talking about the south as if they live here and almost all people who actually live in the south who have posted here have posted something very contrary to what these guys are saying lol.
These forumers are all too busy being cooped up in front of the computer, posting fallacy-ridden arguments to actually travel around, and be hit with a heavy dose of truth.

Very correct about soil temperature; that is actually the main factor in controlling the growth of plants around the South. In fact, in terms of soil temps, many parts of the South exhibit a 365 day growing season.

Lots of insect, bird, and other animal activity to be seen around the South during winter. Even tropical insects like fire ants had no problem expanding throughout much of the South; that should tell you all you need to know about how warm the climate of the South is during winter. Heck, even reptiles like lizards, turtles, and alligators can be seen moving about during winter. Animals don't hibernate in the South during winter at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather