Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the El Nino stregnthen or fade in the summer and fall of 2015
It will morph into a strong El Nino either this summer or fall 34 65.38%
It will maintain its current status throughout summer or fall (weak to moderate). 12 23.08%
It will fade away all together sometime this summer or fall 6 11.54%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 10:07 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
What I'd like to know is whether or not any dips in the eastern US will be able to reach farther south/east into places like the eastern gulf coast or even central Florida. Last winter, that didn't really happen until like February.

If the warm blob in the Pacific moves farther east towards the western Canadian coast, I guess that would allow the Bermuda High to move farther east, allowing the south Atlantic states to get in on the cold action more this winter.

I'm not an expert on that. I would think extra warm water off the SE coast would pop up a ridge there. The really cold N. Atlantic throws a screw into everything right now. Who knows what that will do.

The Bermuda high has been pretty non existent the last few years. Even this year has it ever really showed up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:09 AM

680 posts, read 649,218 times
So a supposed "Great Godzilla" of an El Nino now, huh? The current poll leader looking like the right choice, maybe?

A few "winners" and "losers" of the GREAT El Nino!
Here: El Niño Projected Winners and Losers For Winter 2015 -2016 | Unofficial Networks

Old 08-14-2015, 07:00 AM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
This really has gotta stop. I feel like throwing up. NASA using God and El Nino now? Wtf. Hopefully Im wrong cause I didn't read it yet but judging by the back and forth tweets it would **** me off to read. So typical.

https://twitter.com/nynjpaweather/st...56165384880128

Old 08-14-2015, 07:15 AM

An interesting short article about competing "warm blobs", basically the developing El Nino and the ever present blob in the NE Pacific. Again, they are saying all bets are off with this El Nino due to that blob.

Possible Spoiler for El Niño: A ‘Battle of the Blobs’ | Drought Watch 2015 | KQED Science

But this time around, there are other things brewing in the Pacific: patches of freakishly warm water spread far and wide, up the California coast to the persistently warm vortex, hundreds of miles across, christened by climate scientists as “the Blob.”

“That is definitely the wildcard with this El Niño,” warns Bill Patzert, a climatologist at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab in Pasadena and an advisor to federal El Niño forecasters.

He says unlike in 1997, the Blob has been a fixture during the current drought. It’s essentially the sidekick of that “Ridiculously Resilient Ridge,” the stubborn bubble of high-pressure that’s been parked off the north coast for the past couple of years, diverting winter storms up and around California.

Patzert agrees the current El Niño is looking like a monster — “Godzilla,” to use his favorite moniker. But he’s concerned the Blob and its ridge could become at least partial spoilers, blocking out storms from the northern Pacific, leaving the door open only for El Niño-driven storms from the tropics.
That could mean Southern California gets a soaking, but the northern part of the state — where most of the major reservoirs are — misses out.

“There is almost certainly going to be a dividing line,” says Stanford climate scientist Daniel Swain. “And it’s possible that dividing line could occur somewhere in Northern California.”

Old 08-14-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffinMan16 View Post
So a supposed "Great Godzilla" of an El Nino now, huh? The current poll leader looking like the right choice, maybe?

A few "winners" and "losers" of the GREAT El Nino!
Here: El Niño Projected Winners and Losers For Winter 2015 -2016 | Unofficial Networks

But you didn't mention how the "blob" is a very different animal and is still there. This won't be the same as 1997-98 unless that blob magically disappears. It's been solid for two years and isn't budging. It sometimes wanes, and then comes back even stronger.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:32 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
The last two winters the blob created a stuck ridge over the west coast. With El Niño at the same time, it could do something completely different, El Niño down by the equator will affect the rushing patterns and jet stream

Old 08-14-2015, 07:39 AM

680 posts, read 649,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
But you didn't mention how the "blob" is a very different animal and is still there. This won't be the same as 1997-98 unless that blob magically disappears. It's been solid for two years and isn't budging. It sometimes wanes, and then comes back even stronger.
Just messing around about it because there seems to be a some sort of "hype" about it, and the "winners" and "losers" thing is just a hopeful prediction, or for some at least. I saw the "Godzilla El Nino" thing on Instagram and laughed about it. People in the "weather-business" or climatologist definitely like to embellish about weather and weather-related events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The last two winters the blob created a stuck ridge over the west coast. With El Niño at the same time, it could do something completely different, El Niño down by the equator will affect the rushing patterns and jet stream
Yeah, looks like the Pacific Northwest will be heading for a relatively dry winter or at least for their standards, I'd suppose... similar to last winter cause of the "blob".

Old 08-14-2015, 12:48 PM

I didn't see the Fox bit but gees. The words and things they are using to put inside the public's mind is insane. Ruining conversations about weather and Climate

All joking aside.. isn't that exactly what brainwashing is? When you embed words and images to persuade and make someone believe something using forcible pressure?

NASA does it, now the media catching on?

https://twitter.com/Derrick_Snyder/s...60508419125248

Old 08-14-2015, 02:10 PM

Just got a text from a friend I haven't talked to in months. WTF!

"Headline says there's a 90% chance we're getting the worse El Nino ever"

I should block him. Say hello to me, don't just come out with what media headlines are!! UGH! LOL

Old 08-17-2015, 06:20 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,167 times
Nino region 3.4 is 2.0!

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...-fcsts-web.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather