Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you think that NYC Central Park will have an average of at least 90°F (32.2°C) in July ?
2015 7 33.33%
2016-2019 2 9.52%
2020 1 4.76%
2021-2025 1 4.76%
2026 or later 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:00 PM

29,537 posts, read 19,626,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I've read that the vegetation around the station has increased, and I don't think that trend exists for the other nearby stations. There isn't supposed to be any vegetation (except grass, maybe?) within 100 feet of an ASOS, but that isn't the case for Central Park. The cooler temp readings become even more obvious after a wet period:
Good read, makes a lot of sense

Quote:
At least the NWS recognizes the situation. And I don't think they should not move the station or anything, it's historic, but I just feel LGA better represents the climate of NYC.
Similar in Chicago between ORD and MDW, which was acknowledged by Jeff Masters in July 2012

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 06:42 PM

5,983 posts, read 4,278,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1013 View Post
I've hit 90F twice this year and normally hit it less than 10 times in any given year. However I record 200+ days of 80F highs each year

Old 06-20-2015, 06:50 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyFL View Post
Look at Virginia Key Highs and add 2-3F for our highs.

To hit 90F here we need a westerly during the hot season which is rare.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Look at Virginia Key Highs and add 2-3F for our highs.

To hit 90F here we need a westerly during the hot season which is rare.
Of course this is completely unverifiable, as there is no weather station recording temperature data at either Key Biscayne or Virginia Key. Weather Underground stations are not calibrated to the same standard, so it would impossible to compare them to each other. Your best best would be to look at Miami Beach, which averages 24 90F+ days each year. To go from 24 days to under 10 days in a couple miles would be incredible considering the geographic similarities between the two islands.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Of course this is completely unverifiable, as there is no weather station recording temperature data at either Key Biscayne or Virginia Key. Weather Underground stations are not calibrated to the same standard, so it would impossible to compare them to each other. Your best best would be to look at Miami Beach, which averages 24 90F+ days each year. To go from 24 days to under 10 days in a couple miles would be incredible considering the geographic similarities between the two islands.
There is one on a Virginia key pier which is the one I am referring to. Look up Virginia Key Composite Plot

UHI man

Old 06-20-2015, 07:02 PM

Quote:
My lows in the winter as I stated in a previous thread are 2-4F below those of Miami Beach. Not sure about the highs though, I might do that tonight

Old 06-20-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
My lows in the winter as I stated in a previous thread are 2-4F below those of Miami Beach. Not sure about the highs though, I might do that tonight
You can say this over and over again about how you have cooler lows than Miami Beach, but it doesn't really mean anything to me. Those thermometers are known to be wildly inaccurate, so such an amazing difference in temperature between that and a nearby quality-controlled NWS station should be a good enough reason to disregard your readings.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
You can say this over and over again about how you have cooler lows than Miami Beach, but it doesn't really mean anything to me. Those thermometers are known to be wildly inaccurate, so such an amazing difference in temperature between that and a nearby quality-controlled NWS station should be a good enough reason to disregard your readings.
A nearby quality controlled NWS station closer to the water in a concrete jungle with a constant flow of cars...can we end this arguement? I live and record temperatures in the location I am speaking for so nothing you can say will change the numbers I see on my PWS...If you want proof I can send you pics of its location and a constant feed of its readings. If not then this discussion is over

Old 06-20-2015, 07:21 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
I sincerely doubt that Key Biscayne would have lower lows than Miami Beach, or even the airport as he seems to assert time and time again.

Old 06-20-2015, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
I sincerely doubt that Key Biscayne would have lower lows than Miami Beach, or even the airport as he seems to assert time and time again.
As I said above I can send you photos of my weather station and give you a link to temperature data. You can take it or leave it. I haven't been pulling numbers out of my ass for the past 6 months!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather