Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 07:11 PM

5,706 posts, read 3,776,023 times

Advertisements

Nice photos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 08:54 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
So lush in some photos, then so dry. Lots of microclimates for a small island. Precipitation comes from one direction and mountains block the rain for one side of the mountains?

Old 12-02-2015, 10:44 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,932,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
This will be the last Tenerife update

It is so odd for me to see coco palms in a climate with a relatively cold ocean. That seems weird to me. I always associate coco palms with warm ocean water, like 80F plus, something that never happens in the Canaries.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:18 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,685,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So lush in some photos, then so dry. Lots of microclimates for a small island. Precipitation comes from one direction and mountains block the rain for one side of the mountains?
Yes, compared to tropical islands like Hawaii though, Tenerife is just really dry. Even on the windward side the moderately wet areas are confined to the mid elevations.The coastal sections on the northern coast are semiarid.
Are you still going to post some more photos in the Summer Pictures thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It is so odd for me to see coco palms in a climate with a relatively cold ocean. That seems weird to me. I always associate coco palms with warm ocean water, like 80F plus, something that never happens in the Canaries.
Well, but it works.
Most of the coconuts that are growing on Tenerife ofcourse do not look anywhere as nice as those found in the tropics. On the cooler and cloudier northern coast there are some specimens which look really bad.
But there are some good looking ones on the warmer and sunnier coastal areas aswell.
Like this one (from my previous update)

The neighbouring island Gran Canaria has one coconut surviving inland at 330m/1080ft asl. (11km linear distance from the coast)

Last Summer/Autumn the SSTs were above average near the Canary Islands, and some shallow bays and beaches reached SSTs of around 80°F
The large scale Satellite Measurements peaked at around 78°F near Tenerife.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
Yes, compared to tropical islands like Hawaii though, Tenerife is just really dry. Even on the windward side the moderately wet areas are confined to the mid elevations.The coastal sections on the northern coast are semiarid.
Are you still going to post some more photos in the Summer Pictures thread?

Well, but it works.
Most of the coconuts that are growing on Tenerife ofcourse do not look anywhere as nice as those found in the tropics. On the cooler and cloudier northern coast there are some specimens which look really bad.
But there are some good looking ones on the warmer and sunnier coastal areas aswell.
Like this one (from my previous update)

The neighbouring island Gran Canaria has one coconut surviving inland at 330m/1080ft asl. (11km linear distance from the coast)

Last Summer/Autumn the SSTs were above average near the Canary Islands, and some shallow bays and beaches reached SSTs of around 80°F
The large scale Satellite Measurements peaked at around 78°F near Tenerife.

I go by avg SST, and Canary Islands have cool water for a locale at that latitude. Averages are in the low to mid 70's.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:02 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I go by avg SST, and Canary Islands have cool water for a locale at that latitude. Averages are in the low to mid 70's.
East side of the ocean gets a cold water current in the subtropics; similar to the west coast of North America, though not quite as extreme.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:33 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,658,230 times
South America west coast is a better example of cold tropics SST anomaly. Look at cold Humboldt (Peru)

Old 12-03-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
East side of the ocean gets a cold water current in the subtropics; similar to the west coast of North America, though not quite as extreme.

I disagree. At the latitude of Baja CA Sur, the water off the coast of North Africa is much colder. We are talking about 75F for the Pacific side of Baja CA Sur vs 68F for waters off the coast of Western Sahara. And the Sea of Cortez gets much warmer than any shallow bay in the Canary Islands.

Canary Islands are about equal in water temp to the same latitude on Baja CA. Further north southern CA is colder than places near Casablanca, but the further south you go on the coast of Morocco the water gets colder to a point where San Diego matches southern Morocco and places like Agadir. Agadir is a lot lower in latitude than San Diego, so I would say west coast of Africa is more extreme with cold water much further south in the tropics than North America. Cabo San Lucas is far warmer than any water off the equivalent latitude in North Africa.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:24 AM

So i found another batch of photos, which i forgot to upload from the memory card.

Somewhere along the Southwestern Coast.

Vilaflor the highest village on Tenerife and the Canary Islands.(1370-1450m; 4490-4760ft. asl.)

Climate Table for this place.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilaflor_de_Chasna#Clima

Frost damaged Road?

Above the clouds

This Scenery has been used in a music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hszZmFRPqx8

View from Sea Level up the Orotava Valley

Anaga Mountains

Laurisilva Cloud Forest

Chinamada
Semi-Cave Homes

Doesn't this trail look inviting?

View down to Punta del Hidalgo

Mirador de Agüaide
600m above the Atlantic Ocean

Playa de Benijio
Something new for me, i haven't been down there yet

Nobody can tell me that this coastline isn't totally amazing
Looks like a fantasy landscape imo

I stayed atleast one hour in the water, having fun in the waves.

The Water here felt somewhat warm for Canary Island Standards.

The Road is amazing
The small vilage back there is Almaciga

Old 12-16-2015, 10:41 AM

The "real" last update of this Holiday now.

The City Park of Santa Cruz (Parque Garcia Sanabria) feels like a botanical garden.

Great Vibe

Old cocos nucifera

A Mango Tree

Once you cross from the southern to the northern coast, this happens

The Highway from Santa Cruz to La Laguna is one single 600m gradient.
(300m straight)
I don't know of one highway gradient in Mainland Europe that compares.

Northern coast
View to the East

View to the West

Often i've read about how Northern Tenerife has no beaches.
I guess Black Sand Beaches don't count.

It's hard to see, but there's a small waterfall. (Used as natural shower)

And then there's a small beach cove

The neightbouring beach

Tempting Footpath

Epic Road in Northern Tenerife

Barranco del Ruiz Footpath
Closed and Overgrown

It goes on in post 1301 Summer Photo Thread 2015

This was the missed batch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather