Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 12:18 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Another special interest of mine. I do prefer British words like "lift" for "elevator" or "holiday" for "vacation." Or "starter" over "appetizer," but the American "fall" over "autumn." Why? All the words I said I preferred are of Germanic origin. There are far too many Latin and Greek words in English. English truly sounds better when it sticks more to its Germanic roots. And I do know (or I can at least guess) the etymologies of the overwhelming majority of words.

But for me, it would look something like this:

Germanic words > Latin/Greek words >>>>>>>>>>>>>> non-European words

Luckily, most words are European. It's mostly pretty easy to avoid using non-European words. It's extremely hard to avoid using Latin words when speaking English. I seldom bother to try.

Take a popular word of non-European (Arabic) origin: alcohol. I'd rather call the specific drink by its name (such as whiskey, beer, wine, and so forth). Or I'd rather just call it "booze." Or I'd say I'm drinking, rather than I'm drinking alcohol, since the former can still be used to mean the same thing as the latter.
Let me try. In Finnish.

Hissi (elevator) - Germanic
alkuruoka (starter) - direct translation of antipasto
loma (holiday) - proto-Baltic
syksy (autumn) - proto-Finnic
alkoholi - Arabic
olut (beer) - Norse/Germanic
viini (wine) - Germanic
viina (booze) - Estonian

Of all your examples, only two are Finnic in origin, all others are loans. Shows that even small languages are nowhere "pure".

Old 08-17-2015, 12:21 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,264,137 times
Quote:
Why?
They don't respect step parents and can be bratty.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:45 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,457,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Hissi (elevator) - Germanic
alkuruoka (starter) - direct translation of antipasto
loma (holiday) - proto-Baltic
syksy (autumn) - proto-Finnic
alkoholi - Arabic
olut (beer) - Norse/Germanic
viini (wine) - Germanic
viina (booze) - Estonian
In Russian:
Лифт (lift) - lift/elevator - English
Закуска (zakuska) - starter/appetizer - native
Праздник (prazdnik) - holiday - Old Church Slavonic
Осень (osen) - autumn - native
Алкоголь (alkogol) - alcohol - Arabic
Пиво (pivo) - beer - native
Вино (vino) - wine - Slavic, but very old loanword (of Proto-Slavic period) from either Latin or some Germanic language
Выпивка (vypivka) - booze - native

Old 08-17-2015, 12:54 PM

Is Las Vegas worth visiting?

Old 08-17-2015, 12:57 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,414,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
That's a silly question.. of course it is!

But you'd have to like gambling, alcohol, and parties.. so maybe not your type of place

Old 08-17-2015, 01:00 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
I didn't bother when I had the chance -I went to Winnemucca instead

Old 08-17-2015, 01:00 PM

1,772 posts, read 1,505,809 times
Quote:
Another special interest of mine. I do prefer British words like "lift" for "elevator" or "holiday" for "vacation." Or "starter" over "appetizer," but the American "fall" over "autumn." Why? All the words I said I preferred are of Germanic origin. There are far too many Latin and Greek words in English. English truly sounds better when it sticks more to its Germanic roots. And I do know (or I can at least guess) the etymologies of the overwhelming majority of words.

But for me, it would look something like this:

Germanic words > Latin/Greek words >>>>>>>>>>>>>> non-European words

Luckily, most words are European. It's mostly pretty easy to avoid using non-European words. It's extremely hard to avoid using Latin words when speaking English. I seldom bother to try.

Take a popular word of non-European (Arabic) origin: alcohol. I'd rather call the specific drink by its name (such as whiskey, beer, wine, and so forth). Or I'd rather just call it "booze." Or I'd say I'm drinking, rather than I'm drinking alcohol, since the former can still be used to mean the same thing as the latter.

I'm also very interested in etymology and I prefer German words over loanwords,especially if a German word already exists. But I don't care as much if they are European or not, and I don't like the recent influx of English words into the German language. Non-foreign words are just much more intuiutive and easier to understand but I'm fine with loanwords that were already part of our language before the High German consonant shift in the early middle ages.

I think in general German has much less foreign words than English and I've heard Icelandic has almost no ones. Sometimes the replaced English word is still known like bookstave=letter or bookhouse=library.

Here is Ariete's list in German:

elevator - Aufzug: germanic
starter - Appetithäppchen: latin germanic
holiday - Urlaub: germanic-> allowed
autumn - Herbst: germanic -> harvest
alcohol - Alkohol: arabic
beer - Bier: germanic
wine - Wein: latin

Old 08-17-2015, 01:03 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irlinit View Post
That's a silly question.. of course it is!

But you'd have to like gambling, alcohol, and parties.. so maybe not your type of place
Not mine either, I'd keep going on to the Utah National Parks.

Remember both the drinking and gambling age for Las Vegas is 21, so a lot will be closed off to him.

Spoiler
Hallucinations are bad enough. But after a while you learn to cope with things like seeing your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth. Most acid fanciers can handle this sort of thing. But nobody can handle that other trip—the possibility that any freak with $1.98 can walk into Circus-Circus and suddenly appear in the sky over downtown Las Vegas twelve times the size of God, howling anything that comes into his head. No, this is not a good town for psychedelic drugs. Reality itself is too twisted

Old 08-17-2015, 01:14 PM

9,264 posts, read 7,414,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not mine either, I'd keep going on to the Utah National Parks.

Remember both the drinking and gambling age for Las Vegas is 21, so a lot will be closed off to him.

[SPOILER]Hallucinations are bad enough. But after a while you learn to cope with things like seeing your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth. Most acid fanciers can handle this sort of thing. But nobody can handle that other trip—the possibility that any freak with $1.98 can walk into Circus-Circus and suddenly appear in the sky over downtown Las Vegas twelve times the size of God, howling anything that comes into his head. No, this is not a good town for psychedelic drugs. Reality itself is too twisted[/SPOILER]
Personally I wouldn't visit Las Vegas, maybe if I was rich and had the time, but there would be many other places in the US i'd rather visit..

Old 08-17-2015, 01:20 PM

Think i'll go to Chicago and Las Vegas, i'm just not sure there's much to do in Chicago haha
Probably won't do business class this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather