Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 11:35 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,235,801 times

Advertisements

I came across this neat site that lets you see the sun altitude and direction throughout the day.

Sun & moon times today, Tampa, Florida, USA

Today, the sun in Tampa will rise at an angle of 75 degrees and set at 286 degrees. It's altitude will reach a peak of 75 degrees.

I'm curious if there is a rule of thumb or formula for determining sun burn risk based on these measures. Cloud cover would be another factor, but I'd prefer to keep it simple.

Anybody know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 11:41 AM

5,271 posts, read 4,700,526 times
It depends on which skin you have. If you have lighter skin you'll get burned more easily than if you have darker skin. And it depends on how much you stay outside under the sunshine, and maybe the humidity plays a role, like, if it's drier, it's more dangerous, I don't know.

I guess that in Los Angeles the risk is really high for most of the year.

Ah, I forgot, you can check Wunderground for current readings.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:46 AM

5,701 posts, read 3,235,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverBlack View Post
It depends on which skin you have. If you have lighter skin you'll get burned more easily than if you have darker skin. And it depends on how much you stay outside under the sunshine, and maybe the humidity plays a role, like, if it's drier, it's more dangerous, I don't know.

Ah, I forgot, you can check Wunderground for current readings.
I'm quite curious how they come to the UV index. Never seen a formula for it.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:49 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,781,157 times
Quote:

I think the smog must lower the risk. I've been in Los Angeles in late spring and the sun felt gentle, not burning. Not a glaring light either -don't need sunglasses there.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I think the smog must lower the risk. I've been in Los Angeles in late spring and the sun felt gentle, not burning. Not a glaring light either -don't need sunglasses there.
The highest risk of sunburn would be on the Andes, IMO.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:06 PM

633 posts, read 665,401 times
i imagine LA would actually be somewhat of a lower risk compared to other popular destinations, being at 34°N and higher humidity along the coast. of course risk would be high around June/July (when earth's tilt of 23.5° makes the strength of the sun more like a place at 12°N) but for most other months of the year the risk would be much lower. and during the winter months even white people can enjoy the sun.

Old 04-25-2016, 12:30 AM

753 posts, read 841,119 times
Quote:
The highest risk of sunburn would be on the Andes, IMO.
Yep. Certain parts of the Andes have UV indices regularly in the 20s, and they hold the world record high UV index - an incredible 43.3

Blazing World Record: Strongest UV Rays Measured in South America

Old 04-25-2016, 01:32 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,092,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
I came across this neat site that lets you see the sun altitude and direction throughout the day.

Sun & moon times today, Tampa, Florida, USA

Today, the sun in Tampa will rise at an angle of 75 degrees and set at 286 degrees. It's altitude will reach a peak of 75 degrees.

I'm curious if there is a rule of thumb or formula for determining sun burn risk based on these measures. Cloud cover would be another factor, but I'd prefer to keep it simple.

Anybody know?
I once heard (on the TV) that for general rule of thumb if your shadow is shorter than you are then the sun will be strong enough to burn.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I once heard (on the TV) that for general rule of thumb if your shadow is shorter than you are then the sun will be strong enough to burn.
Isn't the shadow shorter than you when the solar angle is above 45 degrees? (I'm sorry if I'm wrong and I look like an ignorant).

You can see the UV index and their risks on Wunderground (the "Health" section), although I find them a bit paranoic, even I, who hate the bright sunshine, don't think it's that dangerous. According to Wunderground, the UV index in Samarqand right now is 6 ("High" for light skins, "Moderate" for intermediate skins, and "Low" for dark skins).

Old 04-25-2016, 05:35 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,092,568 times
Quote:
Isn't the shadow shorter than you when the solar angle is above 45 degrees? (I'm sorry if I'm wrong and I look like an ignorant).

You can see the UV index and their risks on Wunderground (the "Health" section), although I find them a bit paranoic, even I, who hate the bright sunshine, don't think it's that dangerous. According to Wunderground, the UV index in Samarqand right now is 6 ("High" for light skins, "Moderate" for intermediate skins, and "Low" for dark skins).
Its about that I guess, its not an exact science, its just a basic 'yardstick', it seems about right to me, in the UK you can only really get sunburnt from around the start of April to mid September (of course it depends on your skin type) although I have heard that the sun can cause 'unseen' damage even when not 'burning'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather