Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 01:16 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Me too. I wouldn't trade my summers away for a bump up from -5C to +4C in the middle of winter. Sorry.
I think it's difficult to imagine for people at lower latitudes how depressing the lack of daylight really is when the snow ain't there in December. There are serious issues with fatigue, depression et cetera even here at 58-59 N in the Mälar valley, and we usually have some snow cover at some time during winter.

Tórshavn with even less daylight and no snow now that's disaster... It's not as bad as Röst and Vaeröy outside of Norway those infamos places above the polar circle without winters, but goodness me. Tórshavn is severely starved of light in winter...

I'd rather have the insane snow levels of Moncton and living at 46 N than even a Swedish insular west coast climate at 57 N (+2/-1 winters).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 01:31 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,690,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
I think it's difficult to imagine for people at lower latitudes how depressing the lack of daylight really is when the snow ain't there in December. There are serious issues with fatigue, depression et cetera even here at 58-59 N in the Mälar valley, and we usually have some snow cover at some time during winter.

Tórshavn with even less daylight and no snow now that's disaster... It's not as bad as Röst and Vaeröy outside of Norway those infamos places above the polar circle without winters, but goodness me. Tórshavn is severely starved of light in winter...

I'd rather have the insane snow levels of Moncton and living at 46 N than even a Swedish insular west coast climate at 57 N (+2/-1 winters).
How people experience the dark time up there seems to vary. Personally for me that is the time of year I would like to shorten or even skip (Dec to late Jan) - even if we have some daylight and no polar night during winter here in Trondheim. Still, I know people in the far north who really like that time of year.

Look at this article about a scientist from Stanford University travelling to Tromsø to study winter depression during the polar night there:
Her findings surprised her: When asked about winter depression, many people there didn’t know what she was talking about. Most were looking forward to the season.
Give winter a big hug - CSMonitor.com

Old 09-30-2016, 01:35 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,784,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Me too. I wouldn't trade my summers away for a bump up from -5C to +4C in the middle of winter. Sorry.
Well on second thought I say it's all about the summers but that's more as in the type of weather I enjoy as oppose to the weather I hate which is winter. Thinking about it a 5 degree rise in winter for a 5 degree lowering in summer is what I would find the most acceptable. I just hate

Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:

It's true that Moncton isn't as dark in the winter as places further north but when there's no snow in January I'm a very very very happy person.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:38 PM

56 posts, read 38,341 times
i'm more of a winter person. i hate the long days in summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post
How people experience the dark time up there seems to vary. Personally for me that is the time of year I would like to shorten or even skip (Dec to late Jan) - even if we have some daylight and no polar night during winter here in Trondheim. Still, I know people in the far north who really like that time of year.

Look at this article about a scientist from Stanford University travelling to Tromsø to study winter depression during the polar night there:
Her findings surprised her: When asked about winter depression, many people there didn’t know what she was talking about. Most were looking forward to the season.
northernmost norway must be awesome if you like darkness in winter. 21h darkness and 3h visible light is awesome.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobsli View Post

Has this scientist studied winter depression in Bergen? I'm just curious about this. In Scandinavia they do seem to deal with the weather better than in North America.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:49 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:

I can understand that. Where I live the winters are similar to Moncton's, and they do have many bright days. This is partly due to the sun reflecting off the snow and just fewer cloudy days I would say. Also the sun is brighter and present for longer during an average winter, given that we are around 45N, so similar to parts of southern France and northern Italy.

People here aren't necessarily conscious of all of this, and still complain that it gets dark *early* in November and December. But really the earliest sunset here at any point of the year is 4:20 pm. That's not bad when you consider that the earliest sunsets in late autumn in places like London and Berlin are a half hour earlier, and in Scandinavia it's often 90 minutes earlier!

Last edited by Acajack; 09-30-2016 at 01:58 PM..

Old 09-30-2016, 01:49 PM

3,600 posts, read 2,690,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Has this scientist studied winter depression in Bergen? I'm just curious about this. In Scandinavia they do seem to deal with the weather better than in North America.
Not to my knowledge.

But there are many other studies.
And yes, there are people who do have problems due to the lack of light, but only a certain percentage of the population, and it is not as proportional with latitude as one might expect - short daylight hours in mid-winter is a fact also much further south, say at 50 N - so people might be inside at work during daylight hours.
For the minority which really do have problems, it is not really a depression, more like a looong lasting jet-lag, as the body's inner clock is no longer in tune with the actual time of day.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:50 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,502,351 times
Tromsö has persistent snowfall, so yeah, it's a worse comparison when compared to Ålesund or Molde for example. Those are areas likely heavily affected by winter depression at 62 N with unstable wet winters with no solid snow cover that there is for a time in Tromsö.

(Tromsö is the Swedish spelling it's exactly the same letter in the same proto-language we share )

The scientist should travel to the aforementioned places, Tórshavn, Lerwick et cetera before jumping to conclusions. Tromsö also has a tremendous view of the mountains and a long civil twilight period even during polar night, which should help along with the induced light from the snow.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Well on second thought I say it's all about the summers but that's more as in the type of weather I enjoy as oppose to the weather I hate which is winter. Thinking about it a 5 degree rise in winter for a 5 degree lowering in summer is what I would find the most acceptable. I just hate
This is not a trade I would make.

This would raise our average winter max to -1C or zero C, and lower our average summer max to around 22C.

So on a mild winter day we'd get up to +8C instead of +3C. And a cold winter day would be -11C instead of -16C.

Woopdeedoo.

The "penalty" in summer would be a lot worse, as "cooler" summer days would go below 20C much more regularly, impacting many typical summer activities like going to the beach, swimming, boating, or simply having drinks outside at night in shorts and a t-shirt. It would also cut the number of warm summer days that go above 30C to close to zero.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather