Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: In the cool season, roller coaster or consistency?
Houston, TX 17 60.71%
Ningbo, China 11 39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 11:31 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
It's tiring, and I say that as someone who's into flora/fauna.

It is related to weather, and perfectly explains what happens in North America almost every winter. The reason the US South looks like PA in winter is because of the winter ups and downs. Plants hate that. And yes, the inland south looks more dead in winter than even southeast PA or southern NJ. Of course, the tiny sliver along the coastline is more green in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2015, 11:49 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Yuck.

Like telling me to choose which poison to die from.

Old 12-26-2015, 09:38 PM

47 posts, read 49,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It is related to weather, and perfectly explains what happens in North America almost every winter. The reason the US South looks like PA in winter is because of the winter ups and downs. Plants hate that. And yes, the inland south looks more dead in winter than even southeast PA or southern NJ. Of course, the tiny sliver along the coastline is more green in winter.
The coastal South is quite sizable; not a sliver by any means:
Regional Gardening Reports :: National Gardening Association

And you are reaching if you think the inland South looks more dead than PA. Deciduous trees in the South are a relic of the Ice Age; I will explain more about this upon your request.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:56 PM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.0.N.I.C. View Post
The coastal South is quite sizable; not a sliver by any means:
Regional Gardening Reports :: National Gardening Association

And you are reaching if you think the inland South looks more dead than PA. Deciduous trees in the South are a relic of the Ice Age; I will explain more about this upon your request.

Yeah,after search too much,i I came to the same conclusion as you.

Trees migrated South to survive,and finded an suitable climate to live.

Last edited by ghost-likin; 12-26-2015 at 11:19 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 07:37 AM

3,586 posts, read 4,973,576 times
Ningbo for being colder in winter and wetter overall.

Old 12-27-2015, 11:49 AM

434 posts, read 1,041,023 times
Houston for me. Houston barely has a winter... the cold they do get isn't that bad at all. I thought the eastern US was bad for being cold for their latitude. I always use Atlanta since I live here, our Jan avg is 52/34 compared to Jan's averages of Phoenix 67/45, LA 67/48, Rabat 63/45, Beirut 63/52, Islamabad 63/37. All are at similar latitudes and Islamabad looks as they have a similar geography to Atlanta even has a higher elevation. But look at China's cities Xi'an 40/25 and Zhengzhou 42/24.Yeah China has us beat with being annoyingly cold for their latitude. Its even worse because the lack of snow. So definitely I choose Houston(62/43)over Ningbo(47/35), won't be living at 29 degrees latitudes dealing with it being that chilly. Bad enough I live at 33-34 latitude and I freeze my butt lol.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:28 PM

633 posts, read 661,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericmrtt View Post
Houston for me. Houston barely has a winter... the cold they do get isn't that bad at all. I thought the eastern US was bad for being cold for their latitude.
wut. yes the cold they do get is bad, in fact worse than anything you would see in China at equivalent latitudes and elevation. the difference being the frequency is low. both locations have the same exact hardiness zone even though Houston has a 13°F lead in average mean temperatures during the winter months. that is sad. US South is the devil's subtropical... at least China you know it gonna be chilly, but it never gets worse than chilly.

not saying Houston is a bad climate or anything. i understand the appeal for thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies that love to see plants suffer. but in terms of tropicalness, US South is pure evil. it gives you confidence with retardedly warm el nino december, Miami in Atlanta. then a few weeks later bam its Detroit in Jacksonville.

Last edited by Sir Goosenseresworthie; 12-27-2015 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-27-2015, 01:56 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Goosenseresworthie View Post
wut. yes the cold they do get is bad, in fact worse than anything you would see in China at equivalent latitudes and elevation. the difference being the frequency is low. both locations have the same exact hardiness zone even though Houston has a 13°F lead in average mean temperatures during the winter months. that is sad. US South is the devil's subtropical... at least China you know it gonna be chilly, but it never gets worse than chilly.

not saying Houston is a bad climate or anything. i understand the appeal for thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies that love to see plants suffer. but in terms of tropicalness, US South is pure evil. it gives you confidence with retardedly warm el nino december, Miami in Atlanta. then a few weeks later bam its Detroit in Jacksonville.
Lol you and I feel the exact same way. If you frequent any gardening sites in the US, the unanimous common refrain in the South is something like "please no arctic cold this year" or some such worry and fretting about what kind of anomalies are going to happen. This takes place every single winter. I ask where else on earth and at the latitudes and elevation of the US South does this kind of fretting and worrying how cold it will get take place?

Nowhere is the answer. And that is because of the bizarre anomalies that go so far south in North America compared to everywhere else.

Old 12-27-2015, 02:29 PM

633 posts, read 661,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol you and I feel the exact same way. If you frequent any gardening sites in the US, the unanimous common refrain in the South is something like "please no arctic cold this year" or some such worry and fretting about what kind of anomalies are going to happen. This takes place every single winter. I ask where else on earth and at the latitudes and elevation of the US South does this kind of fretting and worrying how cold it will get take place?

Nowhere is the answer. And that is because of the bizarre anomalies that go so far south in North America compared to everywhere else.
yea it is a very interesting continent though, the US is one of the most exciting regions of the world to study meteorology.

Tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, droughts, blizzards, ice storms, derechos, el nino, la nina, los pantalones, heat waves, cold blasts, etc.

we really do get a bit of everything! but there is no denying the drawbacks, the drain on our economy etc. wtf does the UK have to worry about? dangerous amounts of boring? deadly drizzle? Vitamin D deficiency? (i'm exaggerating of course)

Old 12-27-2015, 02:52 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8RCAT View Post
It seems like every thread here turns into the same repetitive discussion about plant hardiness.
And a fine thing too. A place's climate can be judged by the vegetation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather