Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 01:05 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,335,876 times

Advertisements

Florida's heat is a different animal compared to California's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 01:09 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,456,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Again, I think you're purposely making a formula to make L.A. seem hotter than it is.
Wonder if this would differ using average highest temperature for each month rather than all-time record.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:15 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Wonder if this would differ using average highest temperature for each month rather than all-time record.
I definitely think it would, the fact that L.A. and Phoenix have the same score kind of makes it lose credibility to me, IMO.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:16 PM

46 posts, read 38,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Florida's heat is a different animal compared to California's.

Florida's cold snaps are a different animal compared to virtually frost proof Los Angeles (where in Florida has remained frost free since 1979 or most of our lifetimes?). Even Miami's all time record low is colder than Los Angeles and that's the warmest part of the Florida. Central Florida's record lows are mostly in the teens and Northern Florida has even gotten below 0.

Florida's heat is lame compared to how frequently we get over 95 in summer. If you want it more hot more consistently, go to the inland empire with 3 months of consecutive 100 + average highs. We win for both heat wave potential and ability to avoid cold snaps. Just accept it.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:23 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
An obvious flaw in your system:

Using just 2015, my climate has 65, while one of the warmer NZ towns I used for comparison, had 61, yet my town had frosts in 7 months, while the warmer town had no temperature below 3.5C, and was warmer in every season, and nearly 4C warmer over the year.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:23 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,367,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHEAT View Post
Florida's cold snaps are a different animal compared to virtually frost proof Los Angeles (where in Florida has remained frost free since 1979 or most of our lifetimes?). Even Miami's all time record low is colder than Los Angeles and that's the warmest part of the Florida. Central Florida's record lows are mostly in the teens and Northern Florida has even gotten below 0.

Florida's heat is lame compared to how frequently we get over 95 in summer. If you want it more hot more consistently, go to the inland empire with 3 months of consecutive 100 + average highs. We win for both heat wave potential and ability to avoid cold snaps. Just accept it.
Miami isn't the warmest part of FL, Key West is. The record low there is 41 F, so it's completely frost-free. Nowhere in Cali comes close to that.

Also, Miami is much more consistently warm and humid than L.A. during the summer. That's not something you can deny. L.A.'s July and August temperatures are like Miami's average November temperatures. It's not even a comparison. Even the warmer part of L.A. (Canoga Park, which has an average high of 96 F in its hottest month) has average lows in the 50s, so a much cooler mean than Miami.

Also, if you're going to use the whole state, CA has hit -45 F before....so I don't think you want to go there.

I think you're the one that needs to accept that L.A. isn't Palm Springs. L.A. is not a hot climate.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:51 PM

46 posts, read 38,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Miami isn't the warmest part of FL, Key West is. The record low there is 41 F, so it's completely frost-free. Nowhere in Cali comes close to that.

Also, Miami is much more consistently warm and humid than L.A. during the summer. That's not something you can deny. L.A.'s July and August temperatures are like Miami's average November temperatures. It's not even a comparison. Even the warmer part of L.A. (Canoga Park, which has an average high of 96 F in its hottest month) has average lows in the 50s, so a much cooler mean than Miami.

Also, if you're going to use the whole state, CA has hit -45 F before....so I don't think you want to go there.

I think you're the one that needs to accept that L.A. isn't Palm Springs. L.A. is not a hot climate.

The -45 F is because we have mountains over 10,000 feet. Florida is flat as a pancake. Nowhere in Southern California at sea level has ever seen a temperature below 20F. Many places on the coast haven't even gotten to 30F before. Valleys of Los Angeles kicks Miami's butt for average daily summer highs, let alone records. Nighttime lows are in colder than yours but they happen around 3AM when everyone's at home mostly asleep. The heat that I enjoy all happens in the afternoon. I love heat with a passion and Florida just doesn't get hot enough for me but gets way too cold for me during cold snaps.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:17 PM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
55, which seems inflated upwards to me.

I think it might be better to take average highs, minus average lows.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:26 PM

892 posts, read 860,423 times
According to this goofy formula, Miami Beach got a index of 81.6 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Beach,_Florida)

Old 04-18-2016, 02:44 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,329,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Buenos Aires: 81.7

Funny that it ranks a bit higher than Miami, while Miami is quite warmer than BA year-round.
Buenos Aires is a really stable climate, while Miami is prone to insane humidity in the summer and freezing cold in the winter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather