Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,701,596 times

Advertisements

Hey, I'm not sure if this thread was done before but I thought I would start (or restart) it anyway.
Based on average annual temperature, what's the hottest and coldest climate you've been in before?

For me the hottest is Acapulco at 28°C
The coldest is Churchill, MB at -6.9°C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 09:46 AM

45 posts, read 100,428 times
Coldest

-16°C | 3.1° F (REAL TEMP) . Puente del Inca, Mendoza. (July 2009)

A photo of that day:

Hottest.

40.1°| 104° F. San Luis, Argentina. November 2009.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,653,022 times
Hottest place I've ever been to is Monterrico in Guatemala. Couldn't find any climate data but it's at sea level and at 13N so pure tropical. It was stifling when I was there, probably about 33C with high humidity on top, but the locals called it winter because it was the rainy season Coldest, apart from mountaintops is Tampere in Finland with an annual average of 4.0C, which still didn't stop me from getting sunburnt there

Old 10-11-2011, 09:59 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,527,668 times
Coldest i ve been in haves to be MINNEAPOLIS, USA. I ve been there an entire January and February, omg, was that cold. Like -20 celsius. Insane.

Now, if we are thinking based on "average" temps, i also been to Bariloche, Argentina (in summer, winter and spring) and i dont know how it compares to Minneapolis in average. Is it colder? All i know is that i went to Bariloche mostly in summer (well, traveled there 3 times in summer, twice in spring, and only one in winter -a while ago- and it wasnt as cold as Minneapolis) so i dont have those ""cold days" memories as i have from Minneapolis.

Hotter place has to be this one:

(Buzios, Brasil).

Then, this one:

(Río de Janeiro, Brasil)

One of those 2 have to be the hottest in average. But if you ask WHERE did i experienced the HOTTEST temp, then it was withouth a doubt HERE:

(Buenos Aires, Argentina) In any of the MANY MANY 37-40 celsius day i have experienced in the last 8 years. I ve traveled to Brasil and to many places in Argentina (even Iguazu falls, tropical weather) and USA (including Florida in the summer), and i never, ever experienced a HOT WEATHER like Buenos Aires summer weather. EVER.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Coldest i ve been in haves to be MINNEAPOLIS, USA. I ve been there an entire January and February, omg, was that cold. Like -20 celsius. Insane.
Wow. I had assumed you never experienced extreme cold since you were calling Mar de Plata winters cold. I haven't experienced winters as cold as Minneapolis.

Back to the thread topic, the warmest climate I've been is in India (either in Gujarat or Rajasthan). Ahmedabad, India, is the likely the hottest or very close to the hottest I've been to. Was there in the winter, so it was cooler than a typical summer day back home. It has an annual average of 27.42°C (81.4°F).

Coldest: Do mountaintops count? Then it would be local. Mt Washington (in New England) at (6288 ft / 1917 m). I was there two days ago, and I remember the elevation numbers on the summit sign. I've been up to higher elevations, but I think Mt. Washington would have colder annual averages. Annual average on the top of Mt. Washington is -2.7°C (27.2°F). Haven't been there in the winter...

If mountaintops don't count, coldest would be western Newfoundland. Woody point, Newfoundland has an annual average of 4.1°C (39.3°F)

Old 10-11-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Wow. I had assumed you never experienced extreme cold since you were calling Mar de Plata winters cold. I haven't experienced winters as cold as Minneapolis.
When i went to Minneapolis i dressed with like 20 shades of clothes everday and hats and gloves and all kinds of clothes i never had to use back in Argentina. People there kind of mocked me, since they are used to that weather so they only had a normal jacket (even light jackets some people). I even went dancing with one of the girls from there (i just turned 18 when i went there) and she wore a t-shirt and an opened light jacket and she opened her car window when we drove there!!!! I couldnt believe that!!! Of course i went dancing with all kinds of cozy and ridicolous clothes, i didnt wanna freeze

Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 AM

Meanwhile, just checked the stats and Minneapolis average anual temperature is 49.4 farenheit (9.7 celsius)

Also, checked Bariloche and winter seems to be MUCH warmer than Minneapolis (Minn is like -15/-6 in coldest month, and Bariloche is 2.5/6.5 in coldest month. I wonder what was i thinking when i thought this could be similar!!!) but summer is much warmer in Minneapolis (hottest month in Bariloche- January- is 6.4/21 . I wonder where is the person that told me summers in Bariloche were hot in the Bariloche thread!!! No wonder why i went there 3 times in the summers and all those summers were cold as hell!!! With this average temp it is not weird at all). The anual average in Bariloche is about 8 celsius (did the math myself), so, while anual temp is colder in Bariloche, you will definetely experienced much more cold if you go to Minneapolis in winter than if you go to Bariloche.

Of the hot places, the averague anual temperature for Rio is 23 celsius (didnt find Buzios cause its too small of a town), the average for Iguazu falls is 22, 4 (almost like it!! ) and average anual for Buenos Aires is 17.7.

So the hottest places i ve been only considering anual averages have to be Río and Iguazu falls (still none of those compares to BA summers).

Old 10-11-2011, 10:54 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,478,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Also, checked Bariloche and winter seems to be MUCH warmer than Minneapolis (Min
Minneapolis winters are cold. None of Europe except the most northern parts has a coldest month as cold as Minneapolis. The largest cities in European Russia (St. Petersburg, Moscow, Volgograd ) are all warmer in January than Minneapolis.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 AM

nei, i didnt know that. If i had to guess, i would have guessed Russian cities were colder!!

So, i did chose a cold spot when i did my trip to USA, huh? weird

Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,561,463 times
Based on annual average temperature :

Warmest : Chennai, India (28.3°C)
Coldest : Pian Rosa, Italy (-5.7°C) - At 3400m ASL, it's the coldest place in Italy (and probably one of the coldest of Europe). I was there several times a day for a whole week in February, skiing, and, despite some daily maximums not exceeding -12°C...it didn't feel cold at all (when I was standing still at the top, not skiing because then you get the windchill). Alright, I was wearing the usual heavy skiing clothes and so on, but still, there was no wind and it was totally sunny (and you know the sun can be burning at that altitude), felt much more comfortable than some damp and windy winter days in Hong Kong.
Coldest at sea level : probably St. Petersburg, Russia (5.4°C) - was there in November and it felt a million times colder than the climate I described before. It was freezing, unfreezing, snowing, icing, then melting, raining, drizzling, windy. HORRIBLE. One of the worst climate experiences in my life. (Superb city however)

Based on monthly averages :

Coldest : Pian Rosa, Italy in February
Hottest : Death Valley in August Too hot, even for me. Not much more to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather