Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,566,536 times

Advertisements

...and your experience with it.

As for myself:

Northernmost: 59.57'N @ St. Petersburg, Russia in November. Sun angle was about 14° and it was overcast about the whole time. Needless to say, it lead to the darkest, gloomiest, dullest days I have ever experienced anywhere, though London for Christmas might be a contender.

In summer, the highest latitude I've been to would be 55.40°N @ Copenhagen in July when days are about 16 hours long. Despite a sunset time before 10pm, I remember twilight being extensively long, and on one very clear day there was still some light in the sky towards west at 11.30pm.

As for southernmost, Singapore @ 1.3°N including in late March (overhead sun) - sunlight is amazingly strong at this latitude, which I deeply appreciate, despite the common presence of passing clouds.

What's yours? Has anyone here been above the Arctic Circle, or close to it? Any midnight sun pictures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,880,130 times
Northernmost: Lillehammer, Norway, 62° N.
Southernmost: Krakow, Poland 50° N.

I'm not planning on travelling any further south than that, ever. I am planning on bumping my northernmost latitude up to 78°N or 80° N by visiting Svalbard and northern Greenland.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:13 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
^Wow, will you hold the record for the "northernmost southernmost place" on the forum?

Northernmost: Dunnet Head, UK @ 58°40'N
Southernmost: Norman Island, British Virgin Islands @ 18°19'N
Southernmost (plane change): Pointe-à-Pitre, Guadeloupe @ 16°14'N

Highest sun angle: San Diego in June: 81°
Lowest sun angle: Świebodzin, Poland in December: 14°

I was in the Caribbean in February so the sun angle was only 60-63°, lower than Paris in June. Still a nice feeling coming from "winter" or whatever this endless stratus drizzly crap is called.
The weirdest experience was definetely Scotland's July midnight glow. It never went totally dark at night and with the overcast skies, twilight conditions seemed to stay forever. It was already rather dark at 8 pm but 4 hours later one could still walk in the moors without needing a lamp.
In Poland the sun was setting much earlier than in Paris (15h45), more due to the longitude difference than the latitude. Poland and France (and even Spain) lie in the same time zone, so the sun sets earlier year-long there.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:42 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
Northernmost : island of Texel, NL at 53° North Latitude, end of April it was sunny and mild enough, but with this peculiar light of Northern countries sort of foggy in the distance
Southernmost : Ko Lanta island in southern Thailand at 7°5, last February. Although it was "winter", the heat was oppressive, the sun angle murderous. These deep Tropics locations are not for me!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:02 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,590,602 times
Northernmost: Fort William, Scotland 56°82'N

Was last here in August 2009, pretty much felt like the winters that I'm used to here. Did appreciate the longer daylight hours even though it was often cloudy, also the landscape was stunning. I've also been to Scotland during January, I quite enjoyed the novelty of the short days, but I'd probably get sick of 4pm sunsets pretty quickly. Would like to visit somewhere like Norway or Scotland around the summer solstice to experience the long daylight periods at some stage in the future, though I'm not the biggest fan of visiting during the tourist peak season either.

Southernmost: Cape Otway, Victoria, Australia 38°51'S.

Was here during spring 2008, again a beautiful landscape and the weather was clear, sunny and warm at the time.

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 09-03-2012 at 07:17 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 07:11 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
I don't know for the summer solstice, but in mid-July Scotland didn't seem really crowded. There were some Dutch motor-homes, but then again where in Europe can we escape them?

Btw Fort William is 57°N-ish, cannot be more northern than Dunnet Head.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:13 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Northernmost: Tampere (Finland) at 61.30N (funny, I'd always thought it was 62N): Was there in early July, where though the sun did set at about 11.10pm it never got more than half-dark. It was pretty warm one of those days too, about 26C or so, and I wrongly assumed I couldn't possibly get sunburnt sunbathing that far north. Apart from the longer daylight it didn't really feel any different to one of the warmer days in northern England.

Southernmost: Monterrico (Guatemala) at 13.77N. It's by the sea, so stiflingly humid and the sun really intense. One of the hottest places I've ever been to, yet one of the locals said it was winter just because it was the rainy season What also felt odd to me was that the sea felt like bath water it was that warm and didn't cool you down at all and once the sun sets it got fully dark within about 15 minutes even on a sunny day as opposed to the 1 hour+ up here at that time of year (September).

Highest sun angle: I think 88 degrees in Huehuetenango (Guatemala). It's at about 2000 metres so temperatures are gentle year-round, but the sun felt very piercing yet without the warmth you'd expect with it.

Lowest sun angle: Presumably the 12.5 degrees we get every midwinter's day where I grew up about 20-25 miles NW of Leeds in northern England, and where I've always gone back to at Christmas. It's usually overcast anyway, but when the sun is above the horizon much of the time it's below the hills or rooftops anyway so you don't see much of it. When it's overcast in midwinter, even at midday, I need a light to comfortably be able to read a newspaper in the front room of my parents' house. Earliest sunset I think is about 3.44pm. I've seen Norway in March but have never been anywhere north at the darkest time of year, so the darkest day that really stands out was when I visited a friend in York a few days before last Christmas. It was raining with really low, grey cloud, so even though sunset would only have been roughly 3.45-3.50pm, the street lights were on before 3pm - irrespective of sunset times it was noticeably darker there than would have been the case 200 miles further south in London.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:19 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,659,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
I don't know for the summer solstice, but in mid-July Scotland didn't seem really crowded. There were some Dutch motor-homes, but then again where in Europe can we escape them?

Lol, I've wondered that, too - there are only about 16 million Dutch people so how come I see NL car number plates absolutely everywhere?!

Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,597,650 times
There are 16 million of them living in the Netherlands.. there are probably a whole lot more who live elsewhere

Old 09-03-2012, 07:21 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,590,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
Airfares here are pretty expensive naturally, especially around June Added to that the extra hotel charges. Maybe I can hitch a ride with a Dutch family

Quote:
Your quite right, have edited it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather