Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 12:14 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,830,170 times

Advertisements

Ok, enough of the palm debate, this thread's focussing on your preferences as a whole. These can be native trees to your area or not. Doesn't matter.

My list is here.

Most favorite:

1) Norway Maple (Acer platanoides)

Bursts to leaves early, impressive flowers and usually great and slow progressing foliage.

2) English oak (Quercus robur)

A beautiful tree that can grow to impressive size and age. Nice reddish fall foliage. The only problem is that it's a very laggy tree at least here. Bursts to leaves late and peak foliage is also late.

3) Common lime/linden (Tilia x europaea)

Also a impressive and beautiful tree. Quick to burst, and the refined vulgaris subspecies which is used a lot here, is almost immune to drought, parasites and totally immune to cold. Foliage ranges from stunning reddish to boring yellow.

Least favorite:

1) Scots pine (pinus sylvestris)

An ugly, hardy tree that likes dry, sandy soil. The tree is a menace here as it is so hardy, and is able to kick out almost any competition, like more vulnerable deciduous juveniles. Lives to an impressive age, the oldest tree in Finland is almost 800 years old.

2. Bird cherry (Prunus padus)

Nothing wrong with this tree, but the moth larvae that attack the trees are disgusting. I think this tree is native to Scandinavia and perhaps rarely encountered elsewhere, so I don't know if all of you are familiar with it. I think it's quite common in the UK. Anyways, here's attacked trees (and bench):

May also attack other things:

3) Grandidiers baobab (Adansonia grandidieri)

Simply, the weardness factor is just too much for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 12:23 PM

504 posts, read 853,085 times
I love me some coastal redwood forests. Bonus, I love the climate they tend to be located in

I don't really have ones I dislike, but I will go with olive trees just because they are so messy.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:27 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,390,348 times
Maritime pine

Coconut palm

Scots pine

Silver birch

London Plane tree

Old 08-28-2013, 12:30 PM

P London, which are the best and which the worst?

Old 08-28-2013, 12:33 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,390,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
P London, which are the best and which the worst?
The ones I posted are my best, but I love all trees really. How can anyone dislike a tree specie?

Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,701,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeksil View Post
I love me some coastal redwood forests. Bonus, I love the climate they tend to be located in

I don't really have ones I dislike, but I will go with olive trees just because they are so messy.
Olive trees messy? I think of them as very tidy trees. Even if the fruit is left to fall, birds and rats clean them up quickly.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:35 PM

504 posts, read 853,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Olive trees messy? I think of them as very tidy trees. Even if the fruit is left to fall, birds and rats clean them up quickly.
I have only noticed them in residential settings, and the fruit seemed to stain any surface it touched

Old 08-28-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
The ones I posted are my best, but I love all trees really. How can anyone dislike a tree specie?
Ok, good. Silver birch is our national tree. Swedish ambient group Carbon Based Lifeforms has even a song dedicated to it.

Carbon based lifeforms - Betula Pendula - YouTube

Old 08-28-2013, 12:50 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,701,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeksil View Post
I have only noticed them in residential settings, and the fruit seemed to stain any surface it touched
That's true. Maybe if the rat population was allowed to explode, there wouldn't be an olive staining issue.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:52 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,893,420 times
I love the look of the arctic trees in Newfoundland and Alaska.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather