Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 04:31 AM

1,228 posts, read 725,216 times

Advertisements

Well.....we know pretty well what our old mate Koppen says......Generally Aussies and Americans ( and perhaps others around the world ) have differing views on 'Subtropicality' of a given location. What y'all reckon re these similar altitude and latitude climates in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres ?
I have expressed my own opinions in the past re the Northern Hemisphere towns/cities as listed.....can't reconcile the 5 winter month means and extremes with the term 'subtropical'.
Having said that, the 7 warmer months and rainfall certainly meet the criteria.
Interested in all opinions.....
Subtropical ? Yay or Nay ?

Robinsville, North Carolina. 35*N, 623m asl

Goulburn, NSW. 34.5*S, 702m asl

Raleigh, North Carolina. 35.6*N, 96m asl

Nowra, NSW, 34.5*s, 109m asl

Asheville, North Carolina 35.4*N, 650m asl

Braidwood, NSW, 35.3*S, 643m asl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 03:37 PM

106 posts, read 97,453 times
Only Nowra is, using a definition of subtropical where the coldest month is above 10ËšC. I quite like this definition of subtropical, but another good definition is one where the coldest month is above 6ËšC, because that tends to be the limit for evergreen broadleaf forests, or in the case of the Southern US, conifer savannas.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:57 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,521,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrychips666 View Post
Only Nowra is, using a definition of subtropical where the coldest month is above 10ËšC. I quite like this definition of subtropical, but another good definition is one where the coldest month is above 6ËšC, because that tends to be the limit for evergreen broadleaf forests, or in the case of the Southern US, conifer savannas.
Australians don't really consider Nowra to be subtropical either. Australians have a very narrow definition of subtropical: basically the coastal strip centered on Brisbane from Coffs Harbour in the south to Gladstone in the north.

Wrt the USA, there's just far too much deciduous action going on at those latitudes for it to ever be taken seriously as subtropical.

Grandfather and Pixie Mountains
Mark Clifton, CC BY-SA 2.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

Old 10-11-2021, 09:29 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Nowra for me - might not have the warmest summers, but likely the only one where one can produce their own eating bananas.... subtropical enough for me.

Old 10-12-2021, 12:53 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Nowra for me - might not have the warmest summers, but likely the only one where one can produce their own eating bananas.... subtropical enough for me.
Bananas are a tropical crop though, using a tropical crop to designate a climate subtropical seems like moving the goalposts

Old 10-12-2021, 09:21 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,696,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Bananas are a tropical crop though, using a tropical crop to designate a climate subtropical seems like moving the goalposts
How is it moving the goalposts? A subtropical environment in a temperate climate is always more likely to produce bananas, than a climate like Raleigh, which is a true four season temperate climate.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:08 PM
pdw

2,675 posts, read 3,098,337 times
By definition, I’d say a subtropical climate should be typical of subtropical latitudes, including inland weather with big variations between the seasons. If even the North Carolina lowlands are too cold in the winter, where does that put west China, southern Japan or somewhere like North Texas? Most of the landmass in the world at this distance from the equator would be at least this cold. The Southern Hemisphere benefits from a smaller landmass but they’re the exception, not the rule if you ask me.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
By definition, I’d say a subtropical climate should be typical of subtropical latitudes, including inland weather with big variations between the seasons. If even the North Carolina lowlands are too cold in the winter, where does that put west China, southern Japan or somewhere like North Texas? Most of the landmass in the world at this distance from the equator would be at least this cold. The Southern Hemisphere benefits from a smaller landmass but they’re the exception, not the rule if you ask me.
How can quite literally half the world be an exception?

Old 10-12-2021, 06:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed's Mountain View Post
How can quite literally half the world be an exception?
The continents are smaller in the southern hemisphere, so they get more marine moderation than the northern hemisphere, not an even playing field

Old 10-12-2021, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The continents are smaller in the southern hemisphere, so they get more marine moderation than the northern hemisphere, not an even playing field
Fine, but that doesn't mean that the Northern Hemisphere is "normal" and the Southern Hemisphere is an "exception".

The Southern Hemisphere Cfa climates are far more naturally subtropical than their Northern Hemisphere counterparts which somehow manage to be the worst of too hot, too cold, too wet, and too dry all at once.

Source: https://decolonialatlas.wordpress.com/ (Note for mods: open source license)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather