Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 03:54 PM

198 posts, read 189,945 times

Advertisements

Honestly, it just gets so frustrating watching the radar, then the sky, looking at a nice decent thunderstorm forming, only for the cell to then take than random left-turn, and miss you (and by a hair too!). Or, the storm cluster just magically breaks apart when it approaches the area.

The hit or miss nature of convective storms causes me to wonder: how do regions where that is the main form of precipitation remain so lush? Would it be possible for areas of local drought to coexist with local deluge, due to the nature of such storms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 04:18 PM

3,314 posts, read 2,216,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
Honestly, it just gets so frustrating watching the radar, then the sky, looking at a nice decent thunderstorm forming, only for the cell to then take than random left-turn, and miss you (and by a hair too!). Or, the storm cluster just magically breaks apart when it approaches the area.

The hit or miss nature of convective storms causes me to wonder: how do regions where that is the main form of precipitation remain so lush? Would it be possible for areas of local drought to coexist with local deluge, due to the nature of such storms?
What area do you live? Is geography a factor in thunderstorm avoidness in certain areas?

Old 06-26-2016, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder98 View Post
What area do you live? Is geography a factor in thunderstorm avoidness in certain areas?
It isn't as drastic as geography; I just don't like the hit-miss nature of convective summer thunderstorms. The neighborhood behind me can get soaked, while I am left high-and-dry (vice-versa, of course).

Old 06-26-2016, 04:37 PM

135 posts, read 90,625 times
I don't like storms, but we could have more rain here. It's been drier than normal over all this summer.

I'm a big ***** so I don't like lightning/am scared of it. I always have this fear I'm gonna get struck by it lol.

Old 06-26-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQKing View Post
Sounds like you live in Failbourne.
I don't.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:40 PM

What especially sucks is if the day is supposed to have a high chance of rain, yet the storms miss your area.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:48 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times
I like when storms miss us, I don't like rain or clouds

Old 06-26-2016, 06:23 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake&Bake View Post
Don't ever move to the western side of Lexington, Kentucky.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:27 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,454,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springsux View Post
I'm a big ***** so I don't like lightning/am scared of it. I always have this fear I'm gonna get struck by it lol.
Nothing wrong with that. A lot of people don't respect it.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat15 View Post
Don't ever move to the western side of Lexington, Kentucky.
I'm guessing that place is some sort of thunderstorm hole?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather