Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2016, 01:49 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times

Advertisements

I drove all the way from CT to FL (West Palm Beach) in late March, and it was really cool to see the trees go from almost completely bare in CT, to first buds in Southern NJ, and then full leaf-on in southern SC...............

In the future I am lookign to make the drive again, but this time in the late fall.

Based on average climatology, when would suggest to make the drive so that I go from bare trees in CT, to peak fall foliage somewhere along the way, and then full green leaves in S FL or before?

This will be along I-95 of course.

I'm guessing that early December would be best for this, but want to know your opinion.

Even though it was a longggg drive, it was so cool to watch the trees fill out more and more each hour and to think that late March in Savannah had a similar look as Mid May does here (in an average year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 02:00 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I drove all the way from CT to FL (West Palm Beach) in late March, and it was really cool to see the trees go from almost completely bare in CT, to first buds in Southern NJ, and then full leaf-on in southern SC...............

In the future I am lookign to make the drive again, but this time in the late fall.

Based on average climatology, when would suggest to make the drive so that I go from bare trees in CT, to peak fall foliage somewhere along the way, and then full green leaves in S FL or before?

This will be along I-95 of course.

I'm guessing that early December would be best for this, but want to know your opinion.

Even though it was a longggg drive, it was so cool to watch the trees fill out more and more each hour and to think that late March in Savannah had a similar look as Mid May does here (in an average year).
Here the peak is generally sometime in mid November, completely bare by second week of december, sometimes later if December is mild Iike 2015. If I had to guess for savannah they peak sometime in December. Same for North florida. The start of fall foliage change comes early, like last week. Not sure if the trees are sick but whatever its only a few trees. But real fall changes start when we get the first freeze which on average is november 4. I would really highly suggest driving thru the blue Ridge Parkway during peak fall foliage. Really highly suggest this. Fall color is fairly lacking down south. That's why I suggest the blue Ridge Parkway, absolutely breathtaking.

Old 07-30-2016, 02:59 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Depends on the year. Even just a 1 week difference will mean missing changes. And since there could be "pockets" that changed or didn't change it's not going to be uniform

I would say Early November is a good bet to take the drive.

Don't forget to do a time lapse of the entire ride.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:00 PM

2,508 posts, read 1,848,695 times
Don't Take 95. Take I-81 through Virginia, then I-75 south to Florida. The drive is a little longer, but will probably have better colors than what you'd see on 95. Early-mid November is the best time.

Old 07-30-2016, 04:34 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullochResident View Post
Don't Take 95. Take I-81 through Virginia, then I-75 south to Florida. The drive is a little longer, but will probably have better colors than what you'd see on 95. Early-mid November is the best time.
Exactly, I-95 is not so good for fall colors.

I've driven a few times from Ontario to Florida in the fall,
being farther west I can choose between I-79/77 or I-75
both far superior to I-95.

Once I went via Bristol, and Knoxville, TN
headed east thru the Great Smoky Mtns National Park in late October, fantastic.
Ended up staying the night at Clinton, SC instead of usual Wytheville, VA

Old 07-30-2016, 08:26 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,937,091 times
81 would be an amazing drive. I drove it late November (81 to 77 to 85 to N Georgia). Even north Georgia was nearing the end. I would want the largest area of peak conditions which while maintaining the bare trees up north, I would say late October or early November. If you can, keep an eye on fall color watchlists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather