Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Australia or America's climate in general?
Australia 45 31.91%
US 96 68.09%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 12:44 PM

163 posts, read 165,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Really? New Orleans, Tampa, Jacksonville, Miami..... How large is large? You still have Mobile, Savannah, Charleston and cities that size.
Miami is large, but it is tropical, not subtropical. The other cities you mentioned (New Orleans, Jacksonville, Savannah, etc) are small/mid-sized at best.

Again, H-town is the only large-scale coastal city in the US with a humid subtropical climate.

Quote:
If you cannot accurately tell me the weather tomorrow, let alone next week or next month, don't try and tell me 30 years from now.
Weather ≠ climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 01:03 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,592,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
I never said such a thing at all. On the other-hand, stability is coming back to Southern US winters, and you can count on it.
In your dreams 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Old 09-18-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
In your dreams 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
No dreams. No winter in the SE US has ever had cold temps coming close to what was seen in the 80s. Furthermore, cold cylces around all subtropical regions; cold and freeze/ice used to regularly happen, right down to Big Sur:

Quote:
California was much colder when the first explorers were being blown around off the coast in the 1500's and 1600's. Those were arctic gales. California was in an eighty- year drought that intensified the extremes. Ice was hanging off of the Big Sur coast, and the mountains of Big Sur were covered with heavy snow. The water aboard ship froze, and the Salinas river was frozen to the point that a musket couldn't break it. So if Monterey was like present day Reno, what was Reno like, never mind the Bristlecone area?
About California's Climate and Such

Old 09-18-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inphosphere View Post
No dreams. No winter in the SE US has ever had cold temps coming close to what was seen in the 80s. Furthermore, cold cylces around all subtropical regions; cold and freeze/ice used to regularly happen, right down to Big Sur:

About California's Climate and Such
I don't believe it, the all time record low for Los Angeles is 28°, and they haven't gone near 32 in my lifetime (and I'm 33)

Old 09-18-2016, 01:32 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,440 times
Quote:
I don't believe it, the all time record low for Los Angeles is 28°, and they haven't gone near 32 in my lifetime (and I'm 33)
You don't believe that? Clmatologist and geologist do. This is documented in the geological history. California was a much colder place 1500-1600.

Old 09-18-2016, 01:47 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,971,930 times
I prefer America's climate

Old 09-18-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
You don't believe that? Clmatologist and geologist do. This is documented in the geological history. California was a much colder place 1500-1600.
I bet the whole country was colder then if that's the case, otherwise, what did Richmond look then like Orlando does now?!?

Old 09-18-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I bet the whole country was colder then if that's the case, otherwise, what did Richmond look then like Orlando does now?!?
Maybe, maybe not. Then again, in the 1800s, north Florida was warm enough to have wild royal palms. Texas and Louisiana grew sugar cane back then (and still do).

Old 09-18-2016, 02:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,696,046 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to Alice Springs or Coober Pedy? 90% of Australia is almost uninhabitable.

If you want to talk individual cities, LA vs Sydney, Miami vs Perth, Portland vs Melbourne, etc that would be one thing, but overall Australia's weather is so bad you cannot live in most of the land mass.

Because they have access to water. Without the Colorado River and the water table there would not have been enough access to build major cities.
I have been to Alice Springs and thought it was a fantastic climate. Hot sunny weather with few clouds was great to go walk around town and also go hiking around not too distant Uluru which was the experience of a lifetime that I will never forget

True they have access to the Colorado River but Australia could also build irrigation systems and more desalination plants to supply water to inland areas too if they wanted but there is no political will to do so.

Old 09-18-2016, 02:49 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,440 times
Quote:
In this case yes, but you do realize there are decades cycles where the west is above and east below and vice versa. It could have very well been a cold west and warm east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather