Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Australia or America's climate in general?
Australia 45 31.91%
US 96 68.09%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 07:26 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You are replying to a poster who despite living in Greater Miami, likes snow and freezes, so you know
Oh wow, this argument that has been used 4589275894724273934879328798 times against me. You are so original. It'll be an awesome day when you actually post something that has anything of substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2016, 08:30 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Oh wow, this argument that has been used 4589275894724273934879328798 times against me. You are so original. It'll be an awesome day when you actually post something that has anything of substance.
Wasn't meant to be an argument, that poster was replying to you, so was making it clear that you think a climate that is "winterless" or "t-stormless" is boring (no sarcasm, really)

Old 09-19-2016, 08:53 PM

3,500 posts, read 2,785,237 times
Oops sorry. For some reason when I gave my response to this thread I quoted alex985. I didn't meant to do this and have no idea why I did. My apologies.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:55 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Oops sorry. For some reason when I gave my response to this thread I quoted alex985. I didn't meant to do this and have no idea why I did. My apologies.
Lol it's all good. I didn't really take your post as you talking or disputing with me, I was having issue with FireBird's apparent sarcastic, unoriginal comment about me which apparently was not his intention. Didn't mean to cause an argument or conflict.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:58 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
As one who hates the cold, my instinct is to say that Australia has the "better" overall climate. However, I chose the US given its vast diversity of climate settings, which is worth a lot.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Lol it's all good. I didn't really take your post as you talking or disputing with me, I was having issue with FireBird's apparent sarcastic, unoriginal comment about me which apparently was not his intention. Didn't mean to cause an argument or conflict.
Thanks. I didn't mean to start an argument either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
As one who hates the cold, my instinct is to say that Australia has the "better" overall climate. However, I chose the US given its vast diversity of climate settings, which is worth a lot.
That's the same as me. I to hate the cold which is why I didn't pick the US, but now I'm questioning my decision. The amount of climates in the US is an advantage. It's too bad most places suck for subtropical flora.

Old 09-19-2016, 09:10 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
Thanks. I didn't mean to start an argument either.

That's the same as me. I to hate the cold which is why I didn't pick the US, but now I'm questioning my decision. The amount of climates in the US is an advantage. It's too bad most places suck for subtropical flora.
The lowland SW is your friend, i.e. Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles, SF Bay Area and Sacramento

Old 09-19-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The lowland SW is your friend, i.e. Phoenix, Las Vegas, San Diego, Los Angeles, SF Bay Area and Sacramento
Not really. All of these places are too dry. Then again so is most of Australia so....

Old 09-19-2016, 10:20 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Quote:
United States. Australia is just an ensemble of boring climates.
Come now, just because we rarely have snow our climate is boring? Since when is snow the exciting factor of a climate? Sure, you can like snow, but you just gotta have a more reasonable and objective idea of what "boring" is and what it isn't. I mean, I loathe four seasonal climates (with snow) and tropical savannahs, but can I call them "boring" because I dislike them? Of course not.

Btw, an "ensemble of boring climates" will be New Zealand, the UK or any region that is predominantly under one climate zone, especially the oceanic one, which barely sees pronounced weather patterns. At least our arid regions, which, yes, "boringly" make up most of the continent, are prone to torrential rain events, thunder, hail and of course dust storms. Don't let me start on our tropical savannahs (also a large climatic zone here), where people wait excitingly for the rainy season (so boring, huh?). And even Melbourne's temperature swings wouldn't be quite boring. In fact, they're even annoyingly intrusive for people. And that's still "exciting" in a way.

Heck, unlike our deserts, the arid regions in the US barely see major rainfall or thunder events. They're usually perpetually dry and sunny, minus that odd monsoonal rain event. Everyone in here is calling Australia too dry, when our dry places actually do see some rainfall. Only a small portion of the desert (around Coober Pedy) gets rainfall under 200mm. Most of the Australian desert receives around 300mm of rain. Whilst, again, US deserts (although small in relative to the country) are bone dry - under 100mm of annual rainfall.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:50 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post

Despite said climate diversity in the US, Australia has a huge area of its territory free of winter cold. The US on the other hand, has a quite small part of its area free of cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather