Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 08:36 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,206,200 times

Advertisements

Just so we can keep it in one thread.

I personally have never viewed subtropical as actually tropical. From the first time I heard that word, I associated it with the U.S. South -- cool-to-mild winters and hot summers, the latter being the most important thing.

It seems based on these threads that my perception is the minority. Perhaps it's because of the word "tropical", but it seems people who see that word think of places that are very warm year-round instead of a place with a hot and long summer.

I've also seen people who say that there should be a "warm temperate" classification to separate from the "true subtropical". Personally, I believe that changing the subtropical word to warm temperate would get rid of that perception, and therefore no one would go crazy over places like New York City and the southern part of Boswash being called subtropical.

Your opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
I personally have never viewed subtropical as actually tropical. From the first time I heard that word, I associated it with the U.S. South -- cool-to-mild winters and hot summers, the latter being the most important thing.
I'm the same way myself. Subtropical to me has always had a connotation of tropical-like conditions in summer coupled with barely-there winters. I guess it depends on what type you're used to, and the closest Cfa zone to us is the American South.

Quote:
It seems based on these threads that my perception is the minority. Perhaps it's because of the word "tropical", but it seems people who see that word think of places that are very warm year-round instead of a place with a hot and long summer.
I personally make an analogy to subarctic. Subarctic has a long, cold winter that's like the true arctic, and subtropical has a long, hot summer that's like the true tropics. Subarctic has a warm summer that differentiates it from the true arctic, and subtropical has a cool winter that differentiates it from the true tropics. And just as subtropical climates can get cold in winter, subarctic climates can get hot in summer, but in both of them it's short, fleeting, and/or rare.

[quote]I've also seen people who say that there should be a "warm temperate" classification to separate from the "true subtropical". Personally, I believe that changing the subtropical word to warm temperate would get rid of that perception, and therefore no one would go crazy over places like New York City and the southern part of Boswash being called subtropical./quote]

Warm temperate just doesn't sound right to me; subtropical better describes a place that has long, hot summers that usually feature lows around 70F. My conception of "temperate" is basically an oceanic temperature profile, of mild winters and mild summers, and long, hot summers don't fit into that, any more than northern Sweden's long, cold winters fit into a cool temperate classification. Now, if you're using a broader definition of "temperate" to mean any midlatitude climate, like Trewartha uses in his classification, then it would fit. Which definition you use is really up to you. Strictly speaking there's no right or wrong answer, and in any case both terms describe the same thing.

Old 12-27-2012, 11:55 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Warm summer temperate would be a better name for somewhere like NYC, as opposed to cool summer temperate where I live or places like London or Vancouver.

Calling NYC warm temperate implies that it's warm all year, which is certainly not the case - same with calling it subtropical.

The subarctic analogy doesn't really stack up. Reykjavik hardly has a true arctic winter. There are places in NZ, that have lower daily minimums in winter.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:17 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,596,368 times
All of which leaves me uninterested in trying to classify climates this way - I simply prefer to look at a place's data and form opinions directly.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:55 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
Subtropical should be called Humid transitional or Sub temperate due to having both characteristics

Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I'm the same way myself. Subtropical to me has always had a connotation of tropical-like conditions in summer coupled with barely-there winters. I guess it depends on what type you're used to, and the closest Cfa zone to us is the American South.
I'm grew up in the Cfa zone, or at least near the very edge of it and my idea of subtropical was rather different. Temperate to me meant any mid-latitude climate with seasons, though not necessarily even.

Goes to show that most of these arguments are just semantics.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Subtropical should be called Humid transitional or Sub temperate due to having both characteristics
I don't see somewhere like Boston as being transitional though. It does have a warm summer, but don't see anything transitional about the winter. Vegetation is the best indication of transition.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:20 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I don't see somewhere like Boston as being transitional though. It does have a warm summer, but don't see anything transitional about the winter. Vegetation is the best indication of transition.
Vegetation wise, it's the northern edge of the decideous forest and northwards beings the transition to a conifer forest, starting with a gradual mixing.

If winter = permanent snow, it's slightly too warm for seasonal snow cover.

Old 12-27-2012, 02:46 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,485 times
Miami is true tropical.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:10 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,377,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Miami is true tropical.
Is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather