Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better climate of San Francisco and Bilbao?
San Francisco (downtown) 21 48.84%
Bilbao 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 12:22 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,503,677 times

Advertisements

I've thought about having a climate battle between a sunny coastal mild California climate and a north-facing European-ish (incl Black Sea Turkey) for a while and have landed in San Francisco downtown vs Basque city Bilbao for the following reasons:

* The vast sunshine in San Francisco (3061 hours in spite of all that fog ), whilst retaining cool summer temps.
* The gloominess of Bilbao (1610 hours of sunshine), but with very warm summer days for its coastal latitude, along with more moderate nights than Samsun & Trabzon have.
* The similar winter avg highs, yet vastly different average and record low patterns. Frosts are extremely rare in SF, whereas Bilbao has recorded an -8C low.
* The low annual rainfall in SF, compared to the quite high one in Bilbao!
* Sea temps: Bilbao is solidly above 20 C during summer at the adjacent coast, whereas San Francisco is like a nightmare for bathing!

All in all, I think it should be an exciting battle this

Personally I'll choose Bilbao, because even though it lacks sun, San Francisco lacks a summer in its downtown. Also at the latitude Bilbao is, I think the gloomy summers actually help more than they harm. Less risk of wildfires (like the Oakland hills disaster) also plays into Bilbao's hands here!

I do however believe that Oakland beats Bilbao, so it's certainly a very tight battle for myself and just a degree here and there makes a massive difference!

Predicitions? Just like Moncton vs Bremen I feel this one may be too close to call!

So here are the necessary links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco#Climate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilbao#Climate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...ature_extremes

Last edited by lommaren; 12-05-2016 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 12:33 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,697,702 times
Will go with Bilbao for warmer summers and much warmer SSTs. As you said, SF in summer is a nightmare for beach lovers.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:46 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,604 times
Those sunshine hours from Bilbao don't correspond to the actual climate of the city. According to that, December has just 78h.

Search now in Google: Weather in Bilbao, according to the weather.com widget for the weather in Bilbao, for today and the next 7 days all the predictions are sunny or sunny with a few/some clouds... That's more than those 78h in just 8 days (today was clear too). I went to Bilbao in August and all the days were warm and sunny, with 28-29ºC maximums and all of the 3 days when I went there were totally clear, without a trace of a grey cloud (some few light clouds the last day). Anyways, Bilbao by far! SF climate is just too cool all year round. I only like Septembers from SF, but I prefer Bilbao's Septembers.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
I went to Bilbao in August and all the days were warm and sunny, with 28-29ºC maximums and all of the 3 days when I went there were totally clear, without a trace of a grey cloud (some few light clouds the last day).
They're the official Aemet numbers though

Perhaps you were lucky, I mean we have similar sunshine numbers here and three clear days in a row during summer is common after all

Old 12-05-2016, 01:03 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Will go with Bilbao for warmer summers and much warmer SSTs. As you said, SF in summer is a nightmare for beach lovers.
this and also bear in mind that SF often gets wind chills under 10C in the height of summer despite being "frostproof".

Old 12-05-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABrandNewWorld View Post
this and also bear in mind that SF often gets wind chills under 10C in the height of summer despite being "frostproof".
It's a great shame that secondary polls aren't allowed in the same thread, but if it was one, what would you say on Oakland vs Bilbao considering Oakland's solid mid-70's temps all summer?

Old 12-05-2016, 01:10 PM

3,212 posts, read 3,174,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
It's a great shame that secondary polls aren't allowed in the same thread, but if it was one, what would you say on Oakland vs Bilbao considering Oakland's solid mid-70's temps all summer?
Bilbao > Oakland and even warmer inland Bay Area climates just for the use of swimmable beaches and rain during the warm season.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:10 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,618,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
They're the official Aemet numbers though

Perhaps you were lucky, I mean we have similar sunshine numbers here and three clear days in a row during summer is common after all
Yes I know, they are official numbers from Aemet, but as it happens in San Sebastián, year after year they're sunnier and warmer.

Do you believe me if I tell you that in San Sebastián it just rained a couple of times in the entire month of July? While they have 9 rainy days on average https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Se...C3%A1n#Climate

Old 12-05-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post
Yes I know, they are official numbers from Aemet, but as it happens in San Sebastián, year after year they're sunnier and warmer.

Do you believe me if I tell you that in San Sebastián it just rained a couple of times in the entire month of July? While they have 9 rainy days on average https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Se...C3%A1n#Climate
Yeah, I do. In 1994 the following July rainfall numbers were recorded in south Sweden:

Lund 0 mm
Kristianstad 0 mm
Visby 0 mm
Malmö 3 mm
Växjö 3 mm

Not to mention this whooper: Visby (Gotland) at 57 N had 458 (!) hours of sunshine that month; in low-pressure Sweden and nowhere near the arctic!

So as long as sun normals average above 1500 h anything can happen in summer.

These are normally quite wet climates, so certainly with the right mix of high-pressure systems and southerly winds this is not impossible!

Last edited by lommaren; 12-05-2016 at 02:11 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 01:30 PM

2,197 posts, read 1,493,891 times
Good climate battle.

This is really tough. Sam Francisco is way too monotonous, is too cool in summer, gets no storms, no rain at all in summer, and no variability or chance of cold. However, Bilbao is way too cloudy and wet and while it is "better" on the aspects I mentioned being problematic with Sam Fran, it is still far from good on those.

I'm gonna give the slight edge to San Fran. Much better and very good sunshine hours. They are both too wet in winter but Sam Francisco gets less winter rain and more winter sun. It is drier the rest of the year. Bilbao may be more variable and more seasonal, but it is still quite stable and mild, making that a small advantage. The lack of summer warmth is an issue, but there are still some heatwaves and Bilbao is still lacking in that area.

Comes down to a few big advantages over a lot of small advantages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather