Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2020, 01:26 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,224,688 times

Advertisements

Were weather forecasts more accurate and reliable way back when? Is it really true that weather has become less “Predictable” in more recent years? With climate change will weather forecasts become even less accurate than they are now due to more extreme and erratic weather patterns? Please discuss and answer my inquiries as best as you can
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 10:44 PM

1,555 posts, read 878,514 times
It's hard to say, I think forecasts are more accurate than before with more technology, but errors do happen still. I don't know if perfection can be ever reached with such unpredictable weather.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:59 AM

1,229 posts, read 729,368 times
The pertinent word is 'forecast'..... gotta keep remembering that.
At best it is a prediction based on the worlds best scientific modelling and available data. At worst.... its just a guess.....
But yeah, waaay better than even say 20 years ago.......

Old 08-12-2020, 05:00 AM

30,478 posts, read 21,337,666 times
Much better in the 70's when peeps would use their head.

Old 03-08-2022, 06:51 AM

7,503 posts, read 7,208,862 times
It certainly seems that way as more technology has not necessarily advanced accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Were weather forecasts more accurate and reliable way back when? Is it really true that weather has become less “Predictable” in more recent years? With climate change will weather forecasts become even less accurate than they are now due to more extreme and erratic weather patterns? Please discuss and answer my inquiries as best as you can

Old 03-08-2022, 12:25 PM

821 posts, read 762,505 times
It sure seems like 48 hours out, things are pretty accurate unless you are within 50 miles of a storm center/warm front/ some other boundary in which small moves create huge differences. Up until 5 days is pretty good...after that is still hit and miss. I don't take anything more than 10 days out with a grain of salt.

Old 03-08-2022, 12:42 PM

5,194 posts, read 1,880,790 times
Absolutely hopeless in my area. Forecasts here are usually several degrees off temperature; fail to predict precipitation amounts even within 24 hours and much more. I barely take notice now. Millions of tax payers' money to get a super computer that spits out garbage and lazy workers who don't think they need to use human input to make accurate forecasts.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:47 PM

5,749 posts, read 3,529,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Absolutely hopeless in my area. Forecasts here are usually several degrees off temperature; fail to predict precipitation amounts even within 24 hours and much more. I barely take notice now. Millions of tax payers' money to get a super computer that spits out garbage and lazy workers who don't think they need to use human input to make accurate forecasts.
The models are fine--it's the noobs who pen the forecasts for the Met Office that have issues. I mean, who writes this stuff?

Quote:
Temperatures are expected to be near average to mild, slightly below average in the east at times. Through the rest of the period a northwest/southeast split is expected with lower pressure, rain and strong winds across the north. Whilst the south will see the best of any settled conditions and the best of the sunshine. Strongest winds and heaviest rain will most likely be in northwest. Temperatures are expected to be mild or locally very mild.
Quote:
Some uncertainty heading into this period, with higher pressure to start which is expected to recede southwards leading to lower pressure in the north. A predominantly southerly airflow is expected and is likely to lead to wet and windy weather interspersed with brighter and showery conditions. Temperatures are likely to remain rather mild for most, although short periods of colder conditions are still possible.
Source: https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather...ate=2022-03-09
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather