Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:21 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,368,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YITYNR View Post
Glad to know I did well

(The rep was from me, by the way )

So what do you think my ideal climate would be like?

Back on track, I think lush, green landscapes are beautiful, but I think all temperate/continental/even tropical locations have their beauty. I even think the image of a desert with big sand dunes is pretty. There isn't really any vegetation I'd consider "ugly".

To paraphrase Dhdh, there's a certain appeal to walking through a boreal forest with snow on the ground and trees...until you realise it has to be cold to do so.
Hmmm me thinks...something like this

Jan: 78/62, 55% humidity, 3 in
Feb: 79/62, 55% humidity, 3 in
Mar: 81/63, 50% humidity, 3 in
Apr: 84/65, 50% humidity, 3 in
May: 86/67, 45% humidity, 4 in
Jun: 87/68, 45% humidity, 4 in
Jul: 88/69, 45% humidity, 4 in
Aug: 88/69, 45% humidity, 4 in
Sep: 86/68, 50% humidity, 4 in
Oct: 84/67, 50% humidity, 3 in
Nov: 82/66, 55% humidity, 3 in
Dec: 80/64, 55% humidity, 3 in

You can have beautiful desert landscapes, but it depends on the place. I think glorious sand dunes, especially right next to the beach, are much better looking than some dusty Sonoran plateau with gray shrubbery everywhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 12:31 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,610,584 times
Shalop at post #258, that looks like Marquette Ave in downtown Minneapolis. Marquette Ave is always devoid of pedestrians. It has very few stores, almost none.

It is not a main street traversed by pedestrians like Nicollet Mall (street) and Hennepin Ave are, both downtown.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,610,584 times
BadgerFilms, and lots of cross-country skiing! At the Red Bull outdoor Crushed Ice ice-skating very steep 12-story drop lanes built for the outdoor event, 100,000 people were in attendance in St Paul (twin city to Minneapolis)

Old 02-08-2017, 04:53 AM

808 posts, read 715,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Hmmm me thinks...something like this

Jan: 78/62, 55% humidity, 3 in
Feb: 79/62, 55% humidity, 3 in
Mar: 81/63, 50% humidity, 3 in
Apr: 84/65, 50% humidity, 3 in
May: 86/67, 45% humidity, 4 in
Jun: 87/68, 45% humidity, 4 in
Jul: 88/69, 45% humidity, 4 in
Aug: 88/69, 45% humidity, 4 in
Sep: 86/68, 50% humidity, 4 in
Oct: 84/67, 50% humidity, 3 in
Nov: 82/66, 55% humidity, 3 in
Dec: 80/64, 55% humidity, 3 in

You can have beautiful desert landscapes, but it depends on the place. I think glorious sand dunes, especially right next to the beach, are much better looking than some dusty Sonoran plateau with gray shrubbery everywhere
Very nice climate; I'd rate it a solid A! I like the mild winters and nice toasty summers, and the humidity is a non-issue. And there would be no 82-day-and-counting streaks of sweatshirt days!

Old 02-08-2017, 09:52 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,632,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Not everyone wants to live in the desert. Some people like trees, and grass, and places without rain don't have a lot of those things. And some people like snow too.
And now Mediterranean climates have desertic landscapes?

[url]http://leblic.es/contenidos/images/masaarborea3.jpg[/IMG]

[url]https://elareaverdemundial.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/bosque-cazorla.jpg[/IMG]

[url]https://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Tj0t3L2nJ4w/TJ8d75y65OI/AAAAAAAAJSE/yq8DOZagmBs/s1600/Foto+Fadrinet+1.JPG[/IMG]

we posted a lot of photos of Mediterranean forests, those are not even ones of the top of the most humid med climates and they have natural landscape like those ones... they're arid I guess

Last edited by nei; 02-08-2017 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: no source / coopyright violation

Old 02-08-2017, 01:03 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,943,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junter View Post

we posted a lot of photos of Mediterranean forests, those are not even ones of the top of the most humid med climates and they have natural landscape like those ones... they're arid I guess
Definitely weaker than the oceanic/continental scenes, they're basically trees mixed with shrubs. The only strong forests I've seen posted from Mediterranean climates on here were from the redwoods in California and some huge trees in Western Australia. But they have higher annual rainfall and shorter dry seasons than most Med environments.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:16 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,522,841 times
Quote:

Did you read the original comment I replied to? The guy said something about the line like "how can anyone like rain?" and "the best climate has no precipitation" (or at least very little) I was replying to that comment. I didn't once say that about Mediterranean climates.

Anyway, those places in your pictures are very pretty, though its not the type of vegetation I prefer. But its irrelevant compared to the actual comment I replied to.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:20 PM

7,739 posts, read 6,522,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
BadgerFilms, and lots of cross-country skiing! At the Red Bull outdoor Crushed Ice ice-skating very steep 12-story drop lanes built for the outdoor event, 100,000 people were in attendance in St Paul (twin city to Minneapolis)
Now how could 100,000 people be outside in such dangerous weather? The only places where you can go outside in winter are places that are above 50 degrees! Up north, everyone stays inside for 4+ months 5+ inches of snow is way to treacherous to go for a walk in the park!

Old 02-08-2017, 02:06 PM

3,326 posts, read 2,632,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Definitely weaker than the oceanic/continental scenes, they're basically trees mixed with shrubs. The only strong forests I've seen posted from Mediterranean climates on here were from the redwoods in California and some huge trees in Western Australia. But they have higher annual rainfall and shorter dry seasons than most Med environments.
What is the relation between being weaker than Oceanic and Continental ones? That's obvious. I'm just showing how many Med. climates are lushy. Not you, but other users had told that they're just shrubs and arid land without being capable to have forests. That's not true.

Also for many people (including me) Med. Climates are way better than Continental and Oceanic ones.

Some pics yes. But this one for example is 95% trees, it's that dense that they maded paths between the forests to stop potential fires:

https://elareaverdemundial.files.wor...ue-cazorla.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Did you read the original comment I replied to? The guy said something about the line like "how can anyone like rain?" and "the best climate has no precipitation" (or at least very little) I was replying to that comment. I didn't once say that about Mediterranean climates.

Anyway, those places in your pictures are very pretty, though its not the type of vegetation I prefer. But its irrelevant compared to the actual comment I replied to.
True, my bad. I didn't read the comment which you replied, I thought you were saying that they're like desertic.

Last edited by nei; 02-08-2017 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-08-2017, 02:09 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,431,383 times
Quote:
What is the relation between being weaker than Oceanic and Continental ones? That's obvious. I'm just showing how many Med. climates are lushy.

Also for many people (including me) Med. Climates are way better than Continental and Oceanic ones.

Some pics yes. But this one for example is 98% trees:
Can you share locations perhaps, med climates aren't particularly naturally lush in comparison of wetter oceanic and humid subtropical climates, no denying it. Not too mention the forest in that pic does not look diverse at all, nothing but conifers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather