Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you rate your climate?
A 18 22.78%
B 20 25.32%
C 22 27.85%
D 12 15.19%
E 4 5.06%
F 3 3.80%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 05:57 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,915,282 times

Advertisements

It doesn't get any better than ours:
Lake Chapala Temperatures & Seasons | What You can Expect - Focus on Mexico
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 06:03 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,313,603 times
I consider the weather where I live to be an A. (Mid North Coast of NSW, Australia)

In summer, the average high is about 28 degrees C (80 degrees F) and the average high in winter about 18-20 degrees C (68 degrees).

It can be fairly humid but in the area where I live, there is a saving grace all year around - a beautiful light breeze off the river and ocean that is "enveloping" rather than "buffering". In winter, it may be cooler but is still lovely. With my actual townhouse, if I open the upstairs doors, I can get a nice breeze through so never really need an airconditioner or a fan. Even on Sunday's very high temperature (hottest ever day hear at 46.5 dgrees C, 115 degrees F), I could still feel a slight breeze with both doors open.

If one looks at our rainfall, it does seem quite high - 1436mm for the year (about 56 inches). However, when it rains, it often pours (typical subtropical style rainfall) so that one could have one hour of rainfall during the day and none for the rest of the day. I will say that one never knows when the rain is going to come so I always have an umbrella in my bag just in case even though 99% of the time it never comes out.

I'll be honest and say that I do prefer the cooler months but then I would say that about every place I've lived, just because I don't drive and thus do a lot of walking which is always more pleasant in cooler weather.

The only downside is that there isn't the change of seasons that one gets elsewhere, however, if I want that, then I'll go and visit relatives (I have relatives in the Southern Tablelands area of NSW which does have all four seasons and thus proper springs and autumns). However, as a place to live all year around, I think this is the best place weather wise I've lived, even though it isn't that far north from other places I've lived in NSW (it's the seabreeze that makes the difference (which can be felt 2km up the river from the ocean)

Last edited by susankate; 02-14-2017 at 06:15 AM..

Old 02-14-2017, 06:20 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,460,726 times
B/B+, good generally, although I would prefer cooler summers and more stable winters (less above freezing temperatures).

Old 02-14-2017, 06:29 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,513,039 times
susankate//

No AC at 46C sounds insane though, are you superwoman?

I need a fan at around 30C with low humidity, but can do without AC for brief periods until 35...

However, I must say that upon the end of weeks where we've averaged 29C during the day I feel drained. A full summer without AC in your climate would be very hard to handle for myself...

Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,313,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lommaren View Post
susankate//

No AC at 46C sounds insane though, are you superwoman?

I need a fan at around 30C with low humidity, but can do without AC for brief periods until 35...

However, I must say that upon the end of weeks where we've averaged 29C during the day I feel drained. A full summer without AC in your climate would be very hard to handle for myself...
LOL. I do sound insane don't I. However, that is one reason why where I live is so great weatherwise, even high temperatures can seem cooler thanks to the ocean breeze.

Even though the temperature was recorded at 46 degrees (taken at the town beach), it is likely that it was cooler in areas - a friend who lives about 2km way up the top of a hill overlooking the ocean (thus getting that aforementioned ocean breeze) said that her thermometer never reached beyond the mid 30s and that she felt the cool breeze all day.

I live slightly more inland than her just off the river 2km up from the ocean. I didn't leave the house all day and kept the blinds mostly closed and with both doors open, I did get a bit of a breeze. In fact, it was about 3.30pm when I thought to myself "Oh, it mustn't have hit the 41 degrees" (which was what was actually forecast) and even that is really hot for here so imagine when I googled the weather and it said it was over 46 degrees!

Having said that, even with the breeze, it was still very warm and I will say that I was glad when the temperature did drop. The last two days have been cooler (low 20s) and overcast - heaven lol!

So the the local all year around breeze is a saving grace - even on Sunday, I could still feel it to some degree.

Funnily enough, I like the breeze most in winter, I love walking out the door of work in the evening and being enveloped by the brisk cool wind (the wind doesn't actually make the temperature cooler). It helps make summers very bearable in our town - it is probably part of why the CSIRO consider this area to be the best climate in Australia. I will admit though that I don't like to walk too long during very warm weather. I would also point out that that aforementioned temperature broke the previous temperature record for this area by over 3 degrees Celsius. Also our average summer temperatures are actually lower than some places further south (eg Sydney (especially suburban Sydney which can be unbearable))

Old 02-14-2017, 06:53 AM

5,601 posts, read 3,513,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susankate View Post

I live slightly more inland than her just off the river 2km up from the ocean. I didn't leave the house all day and kept the blinds mostly closed and with both doors open, I did get a bit of a breeze. In fact, it was about 3.30pm when I thought to myself "Oh, it mustn't have hit the 41 degrees" (which was what was actually forecast) and even that is really hot for here so imagine when I googled the weather and it said it was over 46 degrees!
It's a bit similar to the Med coast of Spain which is also an east coast/south coast climate at a relatively low latitude (west coasts tend to have larger summer swings).

There in San Javier it's 29C a normal summer day and 34C in Murcia and extremes can vary a whole lot in a short space of time, in spite of the east coast's general reputation as being quite moderate from coast to the interior. I reckon yours is more to do with extremes only rather than normals? The coastal NSW climates are brilliant on the shore but not so much inland, so I'd recommend you getting an AC for next time

Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 AM

6,782 posts, read 5,503,824 times
It SUCKS.

That's all I have to say

{and I can't wait to retire to warmer winter climates}

Old 02-14-2017, 10:03 AM

29,557 posts, read 19,670,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
London is a C. Cool/wet winters and warm/dry summers.

Very comfortable climate, though each month could be 2-3c warmer. I'm not fussed about partly cloudy days vs totally clear blue skies, and we get plenty of those.

I only complain when we've had terrible weather (eg summer sunshine and rainfall since 2007). I've never complained about average conditions, despite what some here might think.

Subjective I know, but to call your summers "warm" is a stretch imo, when my summers are considered warm (certainly not hot).

Chicago(land): C

Winters C Sometimes temps are too erratic (for example three 16C+ days this weekend) snowfall/snowpack not always reliable. This winter and last have been complete failures.

Springs: D March is very erratic, and usually to chilly for my tastes. April can be hit or miss. May is usually ok and saves the season from an F

Summers: C- in the city limits as lake breeze often influences keeps it cooler than I would like. I would rate a C for the south suburbs. Generally 1-2C cooler than I would like for my summers. Sunshine and thunderstorms are acceptable

Autumn: C September is almost ideal, with early month heatwaves common as well as more crisp temps towards the end of the month. October is about 1-2C too chilly. November sucks completely.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:14 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,619,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Subjective I know, but to call your summers "warm" is a stretch imo, when my summers are considered warm (certainly not hot)
London's summers are definitely warm to me. Your summers are hot.

Old 02-14-2017, 10:39 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,615,715 times
London has warm summers and cool winters, according to the temperature definitions of most on here.

By my standards, snowfall in Chicago is extremely reliable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather