Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 05:21 PM

29,542 posts, read 19,632,331 times

Advertisements

One major drawback during the summer here is that mosquitoes make it very difficult to enjoy the outdoor evenings.... Only Atlanta has a worse mosquito problem than us

Chicago ranks No. 2 on list of top mosquito cities in America

Why types of summertime critters can ruin your summer? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 05:49 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,304,993 times
Not my city but a town called Onslow about 1300km north (pretty close ) gets billions of midgies in summer. I went there in the summer of 2007/8 and it was AWFUL, you could barely breath without having to either inhale those bastards or put your hand over your mouth. Fortunately out at sea it wasn't as bad but at the camping site it was a disaster.

We also had a really bad cricket invasion of the whole town, for 2-3 months basically every spare wall was partly covered in crickets and grasshoppers, it was pretty cool but after a while just got annoying. Once had one 10-15cm long on my thigh but harmless.

In Perth though, we don't have lots of insects, occasionally Marchflies in February and March and some mozzies, but mainly rats, roaches and moths (ARGH!).

Old 05-23-2016, 05:59 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,601,996 times
Mosquitoes, midges, wasps, flying ants and horseflies are the main insects in London and the SE. Ticks are found in the countryside. Spiders tend to be worse later in the summer and autumn.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:24 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,671,374 times
Winnipeg is known for being worst mosquito city in Canada. We also have many ticks this time of year which prevent you from walking in tall grass or forest. Lyme disease.

Saw this photo from the city a few year ago:

Wonder how we compare to Chicago.

Edit:

Found something here: "entomologists call it the worst city in North America for those buzzing pests"

http://america.aljazeera.com/watch/s...er-method.html

Also, I lived in south germany last summer and had only two mosquitoes all summer. Yes, you read that right. They were non existent, at least where I was.

Last edited by Bottletree; 05-23-2016 at 06:33 PM..

Old 05-23-2016, 06:36 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
They bother me all summer too. What's bad here is that they are out day and night (at least in my yard) so there's no time I can go outside without being bitten. In Florida I don't have any problem during the morning or afternoon, but then after dark those noseeums suddenly start to attack.

The worst place for mosquitoes I have personally experienced is Brunswick, Georgia.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:39 PM

173 posts, read 159,787 times
I'm surprised NYC isn't on their. The mosquitoes here are always consistently buzzing their high pitched whinning noises in your ear and biting you.

Also surprising is that I expected more consistently hot and muggy cities like Miami and New Orleans to be on their.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:56 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,410,337 times
Cool, Raleigh is number 6, seems the upper south is the overall worst place for moquitos in the summer in the country.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:10 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
Cockroaches are the worst!

We do have crickets and mosquitoes. I would still take them any day over roaches.

Just wondering, do cooler places like Norway, Russia, Sweden and Alaska have a lot of roaches in the summer?

Old 05-23-2016, 07:38 PM

61,742 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Houston: here are seven insects we get every Summer that are so terrifying – at least to some people - they should star in their own horror movies: Africanized killer bees - killers, yep - not friendly, mosquito (some giant, called tiger), crazy ants that love electronics and chew through our circuit boxes, cicadas - while harmless, billions of insects laying dormant for nearly two decades and then suddenly bursting forth from the soil are quite creepy, fire ants - those jerks can hurt!, ticks with their Lyme disease and babesiosis, yellow jackets - they love my yard!
Besides the above, we get an abundance of cockroaches, spiders, and termites

Houston ranks No. 4 among the buggiest cities nationally.
https://www.thumbtack.com/blog/buggiestcities/

Old 05-23-2016, 07:42 PM

12,278 posts, read 9,458,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Just wondering, do cooler places like Norway, Russia, Sweden and Alaska have a lot of roaches in the summer?
I'm pretty sure roaches only live where there are mild winters. Never seen one in my house here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather