Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:35 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,219,806 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I came across an article on the internet recently, and though it was dated 2008, it has lead me to do some intensive research on the greenhouse effect, and well, what I have found out from research on the topic of global warming/aka climate change and I feel that the results of what these scientists have found out is downright sobering. These scientists are oftentimes seen by popular media as being alarmists in their predictions and climate projections, but these "alarmists" aren't alone in predicting that the Midwest will become a desert as a result of global climate change, paleoclimate data from sources such as tree rings and soil samples suggest that the center of the United States was arid Desert scrubland, perhaps as recently as 900 years ago. So I suppose that the question that I am asking is......In your humble opinion, how much warmer do you suspect that the climate of the Continental United States will have to get before the Midwest becomes a desert again?? Will it have to be 1 degree warmer than the present climate, 2 degrees, 4 Degrees, 10 degrees warmer than things are presently???All opinions on this thread are welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,333,827 times
The Midwest is already a desert (in more ways than one), don't the western parts have really low precipitation?

Old 06-19-2017, 10:57 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,219,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
The Midwest is already a desert (in more ways than one), don't the western parts have really low precipitation?
Actually, only the western high plains region of the Midwest is close to being considered a desert, the central and eastern Midwestern U.S. is in the humid continental climate zone, while the western parts of Kansas Nebraska and the western Dakotas are classed as being a cold semi arid climate.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:29 PM

1,363 posts, read 792,131 times
Apparently Illinois will have the same climate as Texas does now within 50 years.

I for one believe this and I am scared for my future.

Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,621,967 times
I think they always exaggerate those things.

They say the same for a good chunk of the southern part of Iberia, as for Italy... that before 2050 they will be desertic.

In fact, the rain amount in the driest places (at least in Spain) increased in the 1981-2010 averages compared to the 1961-1990 averages, and in those last 10 years we had record rains for months and even for entire years, so it will grow again even in the 1991-2020 era.

Some dams near me are in maximums but they told 10 years ago that they will dry out. Same as with the petrol, the world's petrol is in historical maximums while they said that in 2020 the petrol will be almost ended.

Sensationalism in it's best form bro...

Old 06-20-2017, 01:10 AM

7,033 posts, read 4,958,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post
Apparently Illinois will have the same climate as Texas does now within 50 years.

I hope Melbourne turns into Perth

Old 06-20-2017, 01:52 AM

2,258 posts, read 1,305,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
You'll never become us, we're superior to you victorians

And we'll just keep getting hotter, maybe warm enough to not be in the teens at daytime in witner.

Old 06-20-2017, 02:46 AM

1,363 posts, read 792,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgtheone View Post
If Chicago can turn into Dallas within our lifetimes, then I like your chances

Old 06-20-2017, 04:30 AM

29,543 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Ok, so I came across an article on the internet recently, and though it was dated 2008, it has lead me to do some intensive research on the greenhouse effect, and well, what I have found out from research on the topic of global warming/aka climate change and I feel that the results of what these scientists have found out is downright sobering. These scientists are oftentimes seen by popular media as being alarmists in their predictions and climate projections, but these "alarmists" aren't alone in predicting that the Midwest will become a desert as a result of global climate change, paleoclimate data from sources such as tree rings and soil samples suggest that the center of the United States was arid Desert scrubland, perhaps as recently as 900 years ago. So I suppose that the question that I am asking is......In your humble opinion, how much warmer do you suspect that the climate of the Continental United States will have to get before the Midwest becomes a desert again?? Will it have to be 1 degree warmer than the present climate, 2 degrees, 4 Degrees, 10 degrees warmer than things are presently???All opinions on this thread are welcome

That's true the Central US was semi arid then, but that was due to changes in ocean currents/temps cutting off the supply of moisture to the Midwest. Not Co2. We almost had a desert develop in the Midwest in the 1930's as well for the same reason.

Global climate models paint this picture

Summer precip departure last 10 years compared to 30 year mean

and precip during the growing season (Mar-Sep)

I don't see a trend here that would be a cause for alarm....

Old 06-20-2017, 05:02 AM

29,543 posts, read 19,636,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerParty View Post

No it will not. That is complete bull****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather