Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important is a cities climate?
Climate is everything 23 34.33%
Climate is somewhat important 42 62.69%
Climate isn't really that important 1 1.49%
Could care less about climate 1 1.49%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 09:16 AM

4,422 posts, read 4,324,807 times

Advertisements

I know weather isn't everything. There's two cities (Minneapolis, and Seattle) that I really like, however moving there would be a tough sell for me because of the bad weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2018, 01:10 PM

5,601 posts, read 3,516,996 times
Nyköping has one of Sweden's better climates, and let's just say that staying within the confines of my language area of Sweden and parts of Finland, then climates aren't too good anyway. I'd only say the sole thing climates can do is rule themselves out (Kiruna, Gällivare, Luleå etc).

Old 07-01-2018, 01:26 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,278,249 times
Lived in San Diego and just too crowded. Weather nice however doesn’t pay the bills

Old 07-01-2018, 01:38 PM

2,120 posts, read 1,750,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I know weather isn't everything. There's two cities (Minneapolis, and Seattle) that I really like, however moving there would be a tough sell for me because of the bad weather.
Seattle has amazing summers. Nothing but blue skies and sun and not too hot (apart from the occasional heat wave). Sure the rest of the year is grey and rainy but the temps are mild and you can still do stuff outside if you don't mind the rain. Not sure where you are from but the rain here is not a downpour you get like on the east coast that will drench you in seconds, more like a drizzle so you don't really need an umbrella. A raincoat works fine. Or if you like winter sports head into the mountains. Tons of snow there if that is your thing. I'm sure Minneapolis (Minnesota in general too) is all about winter sports but I never lived there personally.

Last edited by fluffydelusions; 07-01-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 07-01-2018, 01:52 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,664,965 times
I voted "climate is everything". For me, the climate can affect how I feel, my overall mood, life's activities, etc. so much that it really is that important for me. We purposely moved to an area that had 4 seasons. We knew that it could get hot in the summer so we live on top of a mountain to reduce the humidity (and temps) enough to keep it bearable.

I grew up in southeast Louisiana. The extreme heat and humidity were horrible. 9+ months of it was just too much. When deciding where to move, the climate was one of our first priorities. In southeast LA, we barely had a winter. Now I have a beautiful fall and winter with enough snow to enjoy but not really become a nuisance. I kind of love the cold now.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:10 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,232,817 times
Climate in a somewhat important variable IMHO, I prefer warm temperate or subtropical climates over highly volatile continental climate zones like Indianapolis, so my long term goal is to relocate to subtropical Dallas/Fort Worth Texas after I finish college, in my opinion, Subtropical Fort Worth Texas is way better in terms of climate than highly erratic continental Indianapolis, which is why I want to relocate down here in a few years; Fort Worth still has four seasons(albeit muted in distinctive qualities compared to Indianapolis), yet Fort Worth can grow palm trees outside year round, which I could only dream of doing in Indianapolis.

Old 07-01-2018, 03:35 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,746,313 times
Climate is quite important but not the most important IMO. Finances and support networks are more important think but it's still high up on the list. That's why I am waiting to retire to move to my ideal climate so I can also move to a place with a low cost of living so my pension will stretch further.

Old 07-01-2018, 04:07 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,911,315 times
It's not everything but climate is very important to me when deciding where to move.

I enjoy humid cloudy climates with a good amount of rain and snow. Climates with a long or hot summer are not for me

I like to be outdoors and it was outright depressing when I lived in a hot, sunny location since I didn't want to go out. Reverse SAD, anyone?!

Old 07-01-2018, 05:31 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,753,048 times
I moved to Denmark 22+ years ago. I guess that says how much climate means to me, compared to the quality of life.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:44 PM

13,289 posts, read 8,497,223 times
Good luck keeping a house in a flood zone or dry arid zone. Drown or fire hazard.
I dislike snow..yet each year I shiver thru the icy snow filled winter's...blah!
Let me suffer thru surf breezes and sunfilled days. I'm sure self sufficient homes like sun and wind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather