Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 02:40 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
No one wants to. We just don't want you to risk the lives of first responders.
I have friends who are first responders who know that is the cost of doing business for that job, even for people who make questionable decisions. They can’t decide not to risk their life to pull a drunk driver out of a car that is about to explode just because dude drove drunk. Same thing applies here.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 09-13-2018 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 03:17 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Interesting comparison with two cat 5 in different parts of the world

Hurricane Florence,
https://www.newscientist.com/article...dents-ordered/

Contrast with this super typhoon Jebi which was also a Category 5
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/world...-evacuate.html

Remember about 5 million live under the direct threat(hurricane warning) of Hurricane Florence as compared to 50 million in the other side the world under direct threat of Super typhoon Jebi. So even if one million people evacuate in the latter its still a much miniscule percentage of the total population

Over 1 million out of 5 million residents or 20% vs 1 million out of 30-50 million or 2-3% of the residents evacuating in the worst case scenario you do the math. Instead of asking why don't people evacuate why not ask why do developers continue to build very low buildings in storm surge zones over the over again in the US. And why people choose to live in very dangerous areas. No wonder the freeways and public transport cannot handle the load. Whereas very few people in Asia live in active storm surge zones despite the very dense population along the coast.

Super Typhoon Mangkhut would be a worse storm than both of these. Though the results would not be too different/

Old 09-13-2018, 04:21 PM

575 posts, read 339,350 times
I don't think it's fair to compare the Japan vs U.S. in that particular regard.

Sure, in U.S., you can say, "go build 50 miles inland". Not exactly doable in Japan...

Of course, once you're born there (anywhere, for that matter), for a huge portion of your life, it's out of your hands...

If there is any place, in the U.S., where the roads could handle the load, I can for sure say, it would be in large parts of Montana, as the population density is like its temperatures (e.g. sub-zero), and probably parts of Utah, or North Dakota too.

But then again, we don't get tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.

Now, if the Yellowstone supervolcano erupted, ...

Old 09-13-2018, 04:29 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
i live on the gulf coast, I been throw about thirty hurricanes since the 60's. and till about 85 its always been find someplace safe. since the middle 80 the local call been, everybody get out of town or you will die. Thats BS.

you got to understand hurricanes, if its a 4, its going come on shore as a 3 or 2. so we are talking winds about 100 mph. the winds doesnt kill you, its the water. so if you live five miles from the gulf you pretty safe.

back to get out of town, you load up your car, you head out, its 5 mph, you been on the road ten hours you are 30 miles away from your house, you running out of gas, so is everybody else. so know you are stuck on the side of the road in a toyota in a 100 mph rain storm.

back to the house, the 100 mph winds are only going take trees and gas station canopy. if you live in a brick house, you are pretty safe, as long as the water can't get to you. the wind is also effect by the terrain, so the 100 mph wind is 30 foot up in elevation, most of the time.

so there be alot of rain, lot of noise, lot of tree branches, no power or cable, but satellite will work off generator, the day after, people will beg for food and water even though most grocery stores are on generator, they still wand free mre. wait in line for hours instead of buying at normal price from grocery stores.

the worst thing about hurricanes, your neighbor in his fifth wheel camper with a/c running a diesel generator with no mufflers 24/7

katrina, those died because of the water, not the wind
fredrick 1979, 130 mph winds, one person died, heart attack

so rather you be at home with no power or side of road no gas, the last couple hurricanes the local sheriff been changing his thought and telling people, find someplace safe.

Last edited by brownbagg; 09-13-2018 at 05:29 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 04:55 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
My mom always said, even if you don't feel like you have to go, go anyway just in case! That advice has served me well over the years.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:03 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Why don't people go? Ego.

Sure some people can't get out by themselves, like the elderly, and some are poor and feel they can't afford it, but for others it's just ego. Several posters on this thread are fine examples.

Old 09-13-2018, 07:11 PM

3,348 posts, read 2,312,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
I don't think it's fair to compare the Japan vs U.S. in that particular regard.

Sure, in U.S., you can say, "go build 50 miles inland". Not exactly doable in Japan...

Of course, once you're born there (anywhere, for that matter), for a huge portion of your life, it's out of your hands...

If there is any place, in the U.S., where the roads could handle the load, I can for sure say, it would be in large parts of Montana, as the population density is like its temperatures (e.g. sub-zero), and probably parts of Utah, or North Dakota too.

But then again, we don't get tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, etc.

Now, if the Yellowstone supervolcano erupted, ...
Actually Japan is pretty wide and has a very good highway and rail transport system that can move large amounts of people at the same time. In case of this super typhoon residents can hop on the expressway or train and head about 50 miles to the east and it makes a big difference especially if they go to the opposite site of the island.

Though it isn't just island Japan is like this, other parts of the far east is not much different, if this happens in China its pretty much the same thing and even though the Chinese has the option of travel inland if they desire to as China's freeway system is now larger than the US and like the US China has a lot of land and cities inland. In addition they have a very well developed rail system that are much faster and higher capacity than the US. But about the same percentage of population evacuate either by need due to mortal danger or want(to get with relatives and avoid extended power outage) as with Japan.
Ie the average Shanghainese could easy evacuate to Nanjing, Suzhou, or other interior cities if they wanted to as cat 5 155mph super typhoon Maria approached. Yet interestingly we don't see a large roadway crippling exodus toward these cities. I guess the train system works too well? Yet its nothing like Golden Week. Also Japan and China's death low are pretty small given how many millions of people are affected. Super Typhoon Mangkhut which is also more powerful than Florence is now going to hit crowded Guangdone province and north Vietnam.

https://www.businessinsider.com/afp-...n-nears-2015-7
Remember there are about 25 million inhabitants in greater Shanghai area and 10s of millions more in surrounding provinces coast under typhoon warning. So one million evacuaees even including those "shadow evacuees" is a puny number. Many to most of these evacuaees live on boats or in villages or low lying farm lands that are beside rivers and coasts that will be inundated. Though it appears we don't have much housing for the normal population in such dangerous low lying areas. Perhaps the cities and the states should put a stop to rebuilding along areas that had been completely destroyed by storm surge which means obviously dangerous rather than place people at risk either dying in their homes or in their cars. 140 people died at hurricane Rita and many were on the road either by heat emergency or trapped in traffic when the hurricane was passing over, they would had been safe sheltering in place. While I don't support nanny government but I don't understand why continue to build in knowingly dangerous areas just because it only happens once in 50 years? On the flip side the death toll rarely exceed 50 even in the worst of super typhoons in China, Taiwan, and Japan(about 10 were killed during Jebi). Though I guess for developers and governments around the US that coddles them and give them the permits to build its follow the money as those beautiful beachside homes brings in revenue.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 09-13-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 08:01 PM

5,719 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Sure are a lot of judgmental folks on this thread.

brownbagg nailed it. Evacuating is a pain in the neck. And no, I'm not endangering first responders. Concrete building with ballistic glass. Water needs to rise 20 feet.

EDIT TO ADD: Wilmington Waffle House is still open. https://www.wwaytv3.com/2018/09/13/f...ouse-cooks-on/

Old 09-13-2018, 08:09 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,373,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenderFrost View Post
To get back on topic, the government doesn't get to say if I WANT TO DIE AT MY OWN HOME ! It's my decision, nobody else's. Have I paid the property taxes ? So, GTFO.
You are right, it is all "Fake News", so you just stay right there in the middle of it. I should have suggested that to begin with. Yeah, be a man, don't ask for help either, just stay right there. Darwinism at its finest.

Old 09-14-2018, 04:40 AM

30,436 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
You are right, it is all "Fake News", so you just stay right there in the middle of it. I should have suggested that to begin with. Yeah, be a man, don't ask for help either, just stay right there. Darwinism at its finest.
This thread sure has kept you upset jed. Like i said before, i am never gonna leave not matter how big and bad the storm is norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather