Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times

Advertisements

First let me say, I live in a relatively "safe" weather area, while we occasionally get a nor'easter, I haven't lived through hurricanes (we did have sandy) wild fires or any other natural disaster. So I totally don't know what's involved with storm preparation.

Anyway I'm looking at the news and people along the coast of NC and SC have been told to evacuate and there are always those who want to "ride it out". Seriously? I can imagine it's a pain to have to pick up and leave and the stress must be high but I can't imagine thinking you'd win a battle with mother nature. Isn't a Category 4 hurricane serious enough to leave?

I saw the same thing in California with the wild fires. You're looking at fire out your kitchen window and you want to stay?

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 06:16 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,628,316 times
It isn't as easy as you think. Hotels/ traffic/money/pets/firearms/valuables etc. I could go on and on. Stayed during Sandy with a 120 lb. shepherd, house flooded, went up to the second floor and hunkered down. No power for 10 days, surrounded by filthy water for 3 days. National guard came in 4 days later. We survived and rebuilt and can write about. Some others, not so lucky.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:41 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,863,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
First let me say, I live in a relatively "safe" weather area, while we occasionally get a nor'easter, I haven't lived through hurricanes (we did have sandy) wild fires or any other natural disaster. So I totally don't know what's involved with storm preparation.

Anyway I'm looking at the news and people along the coast of NC and SC have been told to evacuate and there are always those who want to "ride it out". Seriously? I can imagine it's a pain to have to pick up and leave and the stress must be high but I can't imagine thinking you'd win a battle with mother nature. Isn't a Category 4 hurricane serious enough to leave?

I saw the same thing in California with the wild fires. You're looking at fire out your kitchen window and you want to stay?

Why?
Cat 4 is serious enough to leave....NC has not seen a direct hit 4 since 1954...when Long Beach was wiped out except for a handful of cottages.

People don't grasp the possible effects and life threatening circumstances....others think it's silly to evacuate. It does take planning but better to leave of course. It's also hard to get back in after a hurricane...but safety first, people.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:42 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,653,622 times
There are several reasons. One is it's expensive and some just don't have the money to leave or they don't want to leave their pet if they aren't allowed to bring them to a public shelter. The other reason is that they know their property will be a prime target for looters and in the case of disasters like this, the law enforcement can't do much about the looters who will come in and destroy your property and take everything they can fit in their pants.

Old 09-11-2018, 06:50 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Sometimes there is more danger in evacuation. For hurricane Harvey, there was a mayor (I forget the town now) who said DO NOT evacuate and got a lot of flak but those people would have drowned on the road if they had. It was hairy. To me it seemed like a lot of miracles took place, but there would have been no miracles stuck on the road.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:43 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
There are several reasons. One is it's expensive and some just don't have the money to leave or they don't want to leave their pet if they aren't allowed to bring them to a public shelter. The other reason is that they know their property will be a prime target for looters and in the case of disasters like this, the law enforcement can't do much about the looters who will come in and destroy your property and take everything they can fit in their pants.
See this is what's hard for me to grasp. I live in Philly which you probably know has it's usual big city problems. I've had my car stolen, my bag stolen and another car broken into with the stuff stolen out of. I totally admit that you get so pissed off especially when someone took my bag at the supermarket (my stupidity for leaving it in the cart and walking down the aisle) because of the expense and the inconvenience but at no time did I think my life was on the line.

In the case of a natural disaster, we are talking about your life. So yeah I totally get it sucks when the things you've worked hard for are stolen by some you know what, but it's stuff.

I just really wish folks would err on the side of caution. I'd hate for this storm to hit and read about a family that drowned in the storm surge.

Be safe out there guys.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:05 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
After Rita hit, the storm’s direct death toll was less than 10 people, according to NPR. Compare that to the dozens who died in the exodus from Houston on its clogged interstate arteries.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nat...170038877.html

Old 09-11-2018, 09:09 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,401,741 times
Not easy evacuating from the home of an SJW liberal mother-in-law.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:46 AM

118 posts, read 121,783 times
From what I understand, a lot of them don't want to waste resources or time leaving only to come back and have everything be fine. This is just what I've heard from people I know who live in hurricaney regions though, so my sample size is pretty small, there.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:53 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
My sister cannot evacuate because she works for Horry County in Myrtle Beach, SC. My parents just flew down to South Florida.

We didn't leave South Florida for Irma because where are we going to go? It takes six hours just to drive out of Florida and we have pets so cannot fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather