Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 04:19 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times

Advertisements

Sort of playing off another thread, but what's the worst thing that happened at YOUR wedding?

Ours was informal, held in our yard. I had been married before, so I knew my lines - my husband had not ever married and at 45 years old apparently hadn't been paying attention at any weddings he went to. We started our vows and he completely forgot "I do" - blank stare from him to the preacher and then back to me - I wondered if I was getting ready to hear "hell no" - but he managed to stammer out "you betcha". Thank God it was very informal.

The next was when everyone left the house for the reception - we had to load our bags to get to the airport, so we were the last to leave. Suburban battery was dead and we had to do a quick car change. The reception started and went on for quite some time and no one EVER realized we were missing until we showed up about 45 minutes later. And then we came back home from the honeymoon to a bill from the caterer about 4x what we had expected on liquor - seems that after we left, everyone continued to enjoy the open bar. For several hours. From what I hear, it was quite the party....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 10:10 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,401,804 times
We had 2 priests (family friends) driving from NJ to Long Island, NY to perform our mass and they ended up getting stuck in traffic because of a bridge closure. A number of guests missed the ceremony for the same reason. No biggy...one of the priests from our church was able to perform our ceremony & mass.

An uncle decided our wedding would be a good time to detox after 40+ years of drinking. Needless to say, he wasn't feeling all that well during our reception. Thankfully my brother in law (one of the groomsman) is an MD and was able to assist the Uncle to and at the hospital.

The florist slipped and fell on the alter, again, thankfully my brother in law was there to check him out because it was a pretty hard fall on the step.

Not the worst thing, but we arranged for buses to take guests from the ceremony (north shore) back to their hotel (mid-island) and then down to the reception (south shore). We forgot to calculate the fact that the buses can't go on parkways (height restrictions due to low bridges), so they were stuck taking regular roads, which meant 30+ minutes to travel 8 miles or less.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:03 PM

506 posts, read 1,956,722 times
To be honest, I took the attitude of "only you will know what went wrong" on my wedding and really let things slide. That and "by the time the day rolls around, it's too late to change anything, so there's no point in dwelling". These two pieces of advice really helped me relax and enjoy the day of and I try to pass them on as much as possible.

That being said... the biggest thing that stands out (though I only remembered after reading this post), was that my make up artist put the wrong address in her GPS (similarly named streets in totally different directions) and got completely lost. She still managed to make it with (very little) time to spare. I did get to my venue a bit later than I wanted to, and ended up getting driven in a golf cart by one of the hall managers to the ceremony area (so the guests wouldn't see me). DH really stepped up and did all the last minute things I wanted to do, but ended up not having time to. Anyways, noone but DH, my parents, sister, and the makeup artist knew anything had gone amiss, and I walked down the aisle on time. I also loved loved loved my make up that day!

Old 09-13-2012, 12:29 PM

419 posts, read 466,005 times
At my cousin's wedding (Greg and Nancy), their priest was called out on an emergency, so they asked a retired priest to pinch hit. This priest, for some odd reason, kept forgetting their names! He'd say, ". . . and Frank . . . " and you'd hear a hiss from Greg in an undertone "Greg!" and then ". . . and you Lisa . . ." (hiss, Nancy!!) Next time the priest would say, "George, . . ." (hiss, Greg!) and "Mary . . ." (hiss, Nancy!!) The priest completely botched it, and then went on and on with the ceremony. It was nearly 2 hours long! We all bolted for the reception when it was over, they took longer, as they had to take the wedding photos. Nothing like being about an hour and a half late to the reception venue -- and, of course, the food had been ready for folks to be there an hour and a half sooner. There were no cell phones back then and no one had called them to tell them about the long delay.

At the reception, I asked why Nancy wasn't cutting the wedding cake. I was told that they totally forgot to make her cake. At the last minute, the baker had thrown three round foam "cushions" and decorated them so that it would look like they had a cake for the pictures. Nancy looked like she was about to cry every time I looked over.

All sorts of things went wrong with this wedding, but nobody yet (decades later) has ever, ever, ever forgotten it!!

Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
The worst thing that happened at my wedding was me telling myself I was making a terrible mistake and I did it anyway. I got married.

I have never thought about it until this very minute, but I always think, "well, if I didn't get married, I wouldn't have had my kids...." But I had already had my son and I was unknowingly pregnant with my daughter. I could have not married him, and had a tough life trying to raise 2 small children on my own, but looking back, I think I could have done it.

The thing with all of that is I believe all things happen for a reason, and I may not be where I am in life today without everything having happened the way it did....

It was a sweet little country church wedding. It was nice.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
My friend's aunt's reception venue caught on fire.

Other than that, never really saw or heard of anything bad.

Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 PM

26 posts, read 29,640 times
My husband's coworker being drunk and repeatedly yelling "One p....y for the rest of your life, duuuude"

Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Our officiant was about to have a knee replacement surgery and at the last minute (like we were dressed and ready to go) he asked us if we would mind if his wife performed the ceremony instead because it would be painful for him to stand for 15 minutes. We said yes, of course, but I guess we both assumed she was, I don't know, literate? She stumbled through the entire thing, very noticeably, misspoke, skipped words. It was pretty painful. Not rolling my eyes in front of everyone I love was one of the harder things I've ever done. And it will be an immense disappointment to us for a long time. We had written such a beautiful ceremony ...

Old 09-20-2012, 06:41 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,273,106 times
Aragx6, that's sad...hopefully one day it will be a funny story, but really - you'd think on the most important day of your life that maybe someone could at least get the vows right. Sounds like the officiant's wife was in the bag or something!

If you were lucky you didn't tape record your wedding...no one wants to remember that...

Old 09-21-2012, 06:35 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Our officiant was about to have a knee replacement surgery and at the last minute (like we were dressed and ready to go) he asked us if we would mind if his wife performed the ceremony instead because it would be painful for him to stand for 15 minutes. We said yes, of course, but I guess we both assumed she was, I don't know, literate? She stumbled through the entire thing, very noticeably, misspoke, skipped words. It was pretty painful. Not rolling my eyes in front of everyone I love was one of the harder things I've ever done. And it will be an immense disappointment to us for a long time. We had written such a beautiful ceremony ...
So sorry to hear this happened to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings