Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2021, 04:46 PM

14 posts, read 15,103 times

Advertisements

Have you ever been to a wedding/funeral for someone you didn't know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 03:13 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,036,382 times
Regarding weddings...I don't think so. I can't really remember any, where I didn't know the bride or the groom, or both.

Funerals however...different story. I've been to a few, where I didn't know the deceased.

Old 10-14-2021, 03:37 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,587,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Regarding weddings...I don't think so. I can't really remember any, where I didn't know the bride or the groom, or both.

Funerals however...different story. I've been to a few, where I didn't know the deceased.

I’m the total opposite. I’ve never been to a funeral…but I’ve been to a lot of weddings. A couple of times I went as a man’s date…so I didn’t know the bride, groom, or anybody. AND my husband & I have another wedding coming up for one of his work friends. I don’t know them…BUT we did meet once at an event before covid.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:48 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,565,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettAZ View Post
Have you ever been to a wedding/funeral for someone you didn't know?
Affirmative to both.

Most of my friends are male. When I was younger and single, I was the all-purpose platonic "plus one" for weddings. Dress up, eat, drink, and dance? Sign me up! It was easier to take me along than either a.) go solo or b.) scrounge up a date who might make more of being taken to a wedding than she should. Many good times were had that way.

When I've been partnered, there were also plenty of times when I attended a wedding with a spouse or boyfriend and knew absolutely no one there other than my spouse/boyfriend.

So far as funerals go, I've been going to the calling hours of strangers (or near strangers) since I was a child. As I've gotten older, going to the calling hours of various family members of friends, coworker, and classmates has become even more of a thing than it was when I was younger as parents and other close family members begin to die. There are plenty of times where I'd never met the deceased, but have gone in support of the person/people who I know through friendship, work, or school.

To clarify this a bit: where I'm from and now live, funerals, i.e., the actual graveside service, are generally a more intimate affair than the calling hours/memorial service/funeral supper/wake. Usually only family and very close friends attend *that* part.

Old 10-15-2021, 05:57 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Ive never been to a wedding where I didn’t know the couple.
I’ve gone to the calling hours for people I don’t know, because I knew a family member.

Old 11-02-2021, 10:59 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,094,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
When I've been partnered, there were also plenty of times when I attended a wedding with a spouse or boyfriend and knew absolutely no one there other than my spouse/boyfriend.
I think most people who had dated in the their 20s or early 30s had this experience. I was always pretty shy and did not date too much but even I have been to two weddings with my GFs as their date. On one wedding I literally didn't know anyone except for my date and another wedding was of a friend of a friend.

I had a good time on two of these weddings. To me they were kind of like extensive dates with eating, drinking, dancing and occasionally making out during slow dances.

Now that I think of these experiences, I am not sure how happy the hosts were for me to be there as they actually didn't invite me directly. Perhaps they were disappointed that my date paid a lot of attention to me but perhaps not enough on the Bride and Groom... They obviously didn't say anything and graciously thanked me for coming...

I have never had to go to a funeral of someone I didn't know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings