Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2011, 12:06 PM

5 posts, read 6,308 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
I am trying to research as much information as possible for the area before moving. So here is a very simple question, and it is open for all comments:
What areas of West Palm Beach have a high "walkability" factor?
This is including factors such as: street lights, being able to walk in the evening with no worries, restaurants and bars etc.

Again, any and everyone's comments are welcome!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 02:15 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Downtown/City Place, and the Southern Historic neighborhoods adjacent to downtown and West Palm Beach are your best bets.

Elsewhere in the County that are high on walkability = downtown Lake Worth, and downtown Delray Beach.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:54 PM

330 posts, read 599,276 times
Indeed its downtown west palm and the much smaller lake worth as well as delray beach. During the night you always need to be extra carefull.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:53 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Downtown/City Place, and the Southern Historic neighborhoods adjacent to downtown and West Palm Beach are your best bets.

Elsewhere in the County that are high on walkability = downtown Lake Worth, and downtown Delray Beach.
Let's be more precise - you can walk IN Cityplace and maybe one or two blocks around it safely at night. I would not want my wife walking between Cityplace and Clematis for example, at night.

Cityplace itself is small and you will walk it in 10-15 minutes. There are only so many times you can walk the darn thing. You could live a few bloxks away and walk between your apartment and Cityplace but again, at night it gets weird around there.

OD

Old 07-14-2011, 07:06 AM

22 posts, read 53,651 times
^ I assume you mean after 11pm at night... which there really isn't many areas in the country if any that are 100% "safe" at night. If your talking 9pm I would say it's pretty safe to walk around.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Let's be more precise - you can walk IN Cityplace and maybe one or two blocks around it safely at night. I would not want my wife walking between Cityplace and Clematis for example, at night.
Going to have to agree to disagree again.

Why wouldn't you walk there, or allow her to walk there? After Publix, there is a parking lot, a bed and breakfast, an empty field and a large condo building inbetween Cityplace and Clematis. If you're out at 2AM, stumbling drunk... THEN I'd advise to be careful for crimes of opportunity. But, that happens everywhere, from Manhattan to LA, and everywhere inbetween.

(BTW, you can also walk EAST, from Cityplace, down towards the CityPalms or Prado Buildings, and then along Olive to Clematis, passing several businesess and restaurants along the way.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend
Cityplace itself is small and you will walk it in 10-15 minutes. There are only so many times you can walk the darn thing. You could live a few bloxks away and walk between your apartment and Cityplace but again, at night it gets weird around there.

OD
"Weird"? Downtown West Palm is not a large city. But, you can have everything you need for daily living within walking distance, including supermarkets, salons, restaurants, shopping, cafes, dry cleaning, bakeries, etc. You could actually live without a car if you really had to, or take the trolley around.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:55 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Going to have to agree to disagree again.

Why wouldn't you walk there, or allow her to walk there? After Publix, there is a parking lot, a bed and breakfast, an empty field and a large condo building inbetween Cityplace and Clematis. If you're out at 2AM, stumbling drunk... THEN I'd advise to be careful for crimes of opportunity. But, that happens everywhere, from Manhattan to LA, and everywhere inbetween.

(BTW, you can also walk EAST, from Cityplace, down towards the CityPalms or Prado Buildings, and then along Olive to Clematis, passing several businesess and restaurants along the way.)

"Weird"? Downtown West Palm is not a large city. But, you can have everything you need for daily living within walking distance, including supermarkets, salons, restaurants, shopping, cafes, dry cleaning, bakeries, etc. You could actually live without a car if you really had to, or take the trolley around.
How often are you in the area? I used to work there for three years until March 2011 and I used to go out for business dinners anywhere from Cityplace to Clematis. Even during the day there were a lot of weird people roaming around, especially after Publix down the road. Coming from Clematis a lot of drunk and high people too. I am not saying it is extremely unsafe but again I would not let my wife walk alone at night there.

I agree with you on your second point - yes you could live there without a car.

OD

Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
How often are you in the area? I used to work there for three years until March 2011 and I used to go out for business dinners anywhere from Cityplace to Clematis. Even during the day there were a lot of weird people roaming around, especially after Publix down the road. Coming from Clematis a lot of drunk and high people too. I am not saying it is extremely unsafe but again I would not let my wife walk alone at night there.

I agree with you on your second point - yes you could live there without a car.

OD

I live a mile away, and walk there frequently. I also lived IN Cityplace for over a year, and am in Cityplace or Clematis several times a week for lunch, dinner, entertainment, etc. I also have quite a few friends who live downtown and/or in Cityplace.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:07 AM

330 posts, read 599,276 times
Downtown cityplace is a city, but still safe enough after dark. Not 3 am safe, but 9-10-11 or so is just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach