Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 12:18 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,783,417 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Delray Beach and need to furnish my home from top to bottom.

Can I get recommendations on where to buy good quality:

Furniture - not Ikea level and not over the top. Looking for contemporary.
Kitchen appliances (coffeemaker, blender, toaster oven), dishes, glasses, the whole shebang.
Linen.
Curtains.

Also places I should avoid.

Is there any service that I can contract with on a yearly basis to do maintenance/handyman work? If not, can you recommend a company that provides those services? Is there a housecleaning service where I can get someone in once a week?

What mobile service do you prefer and why?

In advance, thanks for any help/advice/recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2013, 12:59 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Carl's furniture is one I can recommend we bought a few pieces there and are very happy and really good quality..A bit on the pricey side but you pay for what you get...You could also do City Furniture we also bought some furniture there recently since we moved out of state and we have been happy with our purchase...good luck

Old 07-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Carl's furniture is one I can recommend we bought a few pieces there and are very happy and really good quality..A bit on the pricey side but you pay for what you get...You could also do City Furniture we also bought some furniture there recently since we moved out of state and we have been happy with our purchase...good luck
Thank you. They are on my list!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
What about Macys Furniture store or Rooms 2 go for furniture?
I am not sure if you are living in an HOA community but if so I would call the association and they could give you companies people in the area have contracts with in terms of air conditioning and so forth. Also some items if a group of people are doing it in your area such as pest control you may get a better deal. If not I would ask your neighbors for a suggestion.
For kitchen or linen items Macys or very cheap Target but things like a microwave I think they are good for.
Good luck on your move

Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
What about Macys Furniture store or Rooms 2 go for furniture?
I am not sure if you are living in an HOA community but if so I would call the association and they could give you companies people in the area have contracts with in terms of air conditioning and so forth. Also some items if a group of people are doing it in your area such as pest control you may get a better deal. If not I would ask your neighbors for a suggestion.
For kitchen or linen items Macys or very cheap Target but things like a microwave I think they are good for.
Good luck on your move
Thanks DaniellaG. I thought about Macy's. I took a look at Rooms 2 go and will take a look there. Carl's was recommended, but I checked the reviews - and they weren't good. Furniture delivered damaged, long delivery wait, not very good on refunding if your furniture is damaged. I don't know if that's the norm or the exception.

There is a website that has great linens for bathroom and bedding (high count cotton). I don't know about Ikea, but they also have great towels.

This is going to be one heck of a process!!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 12:47 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Rooms to Go is a total rip off.
The quality is beyond inferior for the prices.
Of course, once in a while you can find a nice deal at the warehouse location in Pompano.. but that's rare.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:12 PM

5 posts, read 6,636 times
I've heard nothing but bad things about Rooms to Go. I had expensive teak bookcases that I bought in the 80s when I lived in DC. After almost 30 years, they had to go. We have walls of books and after a long and expensive illness, I didn't have a fortune to spend on replacing them when we moved out of PBC last year. I was surprised to find some good real wood bookcases and matching display cabinets at IKEA. In the past I would only buy widgets there. I took a real gamble and bought a leather couch and loveseat there as well and an entertainment unit. So far I have been very pleased. I paid a friend to do all of the assembly.

I bought a very pricey leather recliner couch at La-Z-Boy Gallery in 2004 and it was junk seven years later. We didn't even move it. I also got some things at Amazon of all places. Our bedroom in the new house was bigger and I already knew that I loved our queen memory foam bed. I picked up a king frame and then ordered the new mattress from Amazon and paid $1,000 less than the fairly new queen (which is now in the guest room).

I am also almost embarrassed to say it but we scored big time on Craigslist. My old house was a cottage with an eat-in kitchen but no dining room. I got a round table and four leather chairs that were almost new from someone who lost their visa. We paid $250 for a set that runs over $1500 at Pier One where they bought it. I also picked up a gorgeous china cabinet and buffet for $75 in excellent condition. The guy's parents passed and he wanted to get rid of their stuff quickly. I was surprised to find quite a few good deals there.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:28 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Being that Florida is SO transient.. there are great deals to be found on craigslist.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:09 PM

37 posts, read 80,027 times
I'd look at Macy's, and suggest you stay away from Baers. They deliver damaged furniture and if you can get them to replace it, they replace it with more damaged furniture. They are a nightmare.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:20 PM

25 posts, read 78,859 times
I have used both Ashley and Rooms to Go.Had nothing but good experiences with both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach