Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 12:37 AM

4 posts, read 5,278 times

Advertisements

This forum was a very useful benefit when I moved to N. Palm Beach from Beverly Hills approx. 5 yrs. ago. And, my wife and I are looking to move again. We were considering going back to CA. or N. Dallas, but decided to maybe give FL another shot.

In searches and talking w/ people, we hear conflicting stories about the, aforementioned, areas for our wants. I apologize beforehand if I'm inundating the community w/ questions.

First and foremost, our budget for an apt/condo is $2k - $2.5k (would like it to be under $2k, but will go higher for the right place). Additionally and beyond the luxury of the apt. itself, location is of the highest priority.

We know that there is not really the youngest of communities in S. FL., but we can't stand NPB and PBG. It's like a retirement community that seems to roll up the sidewalks at 9 p.m. and the place turns into I Am Legend. We are interested in a more active and, especially, a younger demo (20's, 30's, 40's - professionals). Some say that Boca resembles too much of a retirement community, whereas Delray Beach is young. Others vice-versa. Furthermore, I don't care about the uppity type people (as long as its not a overwhelming majority of uppity seniors). We would like to live close to the beach (walking distance at the most), want the safest area as possible (don't want a ghetto next door and have the ability to park a luxury vehicle without worry), and would like a place where there's shopping, clubs, or outdoor cafes at night.

We know how an area can change in a matter of hundreds of feet from safe to half-way houses and would like to avoid that as much as possible. Furthermore, we know that there won't be a Beverly Hills in FL, but would at least like youth, activity, and life. Finally and although our focus is on Delray Beach and Boca (due to job travel), we aren't ruling out FTL.

So with that said, thank you for you're suggestions as to the areas and specific streets/zips within those cities. And, ask any questions that you think may help our search.

P.S. We will be taking time for some weekend overnights based on your suggestions.

Last edited by chaosinla; 07-27-2014 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: stated Pompano instead of Delray Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 05:46 PM

536 posts, read 845,370 times
Look at Fort Lauderdale. It's a lively small city; I like it better than Miami. Lots going on and a lively food culture. It's always been popular with gay men, which is probably why it's so lively (imo). It's popular with lots of people around here. Pompano to me is fairly frumpy, and I love a solid frumpy town--but it doesn't feel solid to me. Do you mean Lighthouse Point? On the coast? I don't know the demographics or average age of the residents, but it is on the ocean, very pretty, and not overdeveloped or condo-ized.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,400,402 times
Atlantic ave in Delray or las olas in ftl.
Mizner area of Boca isn't bad either.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:00 PM

231 posts, read 587,569 times
Definitely look at Fort Lauderdale. Ive been living in corporate housing in FTL since May and I can attest the bulk of FTL that I witnessed was very young (20's, 30's). Downtown, Los Olas, A1A, Galleria Mall area. Lively and young. I swear Im the old man in the building and Im 47! I DEFINITELY always look forward to walking the dog because I am guaranteed to run into a cute 25 year old blonde walking her dog! lol!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
Look at Fort Lauderdale. It's a lively small city; I like it better than Miami. Lots going on and a lively food culture. It's always been popular with gay men, which is probably why it's so lively (imo). It's popular with lots of people around here. Pompano to me is fairly frumpy, and I love a solid frumpy town--but it doesn't feel solid to me. Do you mean Lighthouse Point? On the coast? I don't know the demographics or average age of the residents, but it is on the ocean, very pretty, and not overdeveloped or condo-ized.
Thank you for your response. I accidentally put in Pompano instead of Delray, but couldn't change the title. And yes, I'm looking for on or as close the coast as possible. Will check out FTL.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinet View Post
Atlantic ave in Delray or las olas in ftl.
Mizner area of Boca isn't bad either.
Thank you very much for your concise response. If you happen to know, is the Mizner area of Boca a safe walk to the beach or do you have to (briefly) travel through worse neighborhoods?

Also, in response to Mizner and Atlantic (Delray). Are they a small oasis in an otherwise bad area? Or, are they large enough to create some insulation to a point?

Thank you!

Old 07-28-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANative View Post
Definitely look at Fort Lauderdale. Ive been living in corporate housing in FTL since May and I can attest the bulk of FTL that I witnessed was very young (20's, 30's). Downtown, Los Olas, A1A, Galleria Mall area. Lively and young. I swear Im the old man in the building and Im 47! I DEFINITELY always look forward to walking the dog because I am guaranteed to run into a cute 25 year old blonde walking her dog! lol!

After your and others responses, we are definitely going to look at FTL and Los Olas in particular. Is the Galleria area on Sunrise Blvd.? Also, do you have an opinion on Seabreeze Blvd.?

Thank you in advance!

Old 07-29-2014, 08:03 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,657,916 times
My tenants moved out of my condo in Boca at the end of last month, but I wasn't able to make it out here from AZ to do some cleaning/renovating until this week due to work-related conflicts during most of July.

I lived in Boca from 1995 - 2007, and this area is still the best compared to neighboring communities, esp. for young professionals. I was in PBG yesterday visiting some friends and made a few stops in the Mirasol Walk shopping plaza. Although that area still looks very beautiful, I will have you know that most of the people I saw were older (mostly older professionals and retirees)--no one looked younger than, say, 55 years old. OTOH, when I was in Mizner last night, there seemed to be lots of younger people (i.e., 20's, 30's, & 40's) and fewer older people--noticeably different than PBG. Could've been the time--I don't know, but PBG *seemed* a lot older than Boca.

Boca's closer to FTL and Miami, too, but not right in the mix. This is South Florida after all--most people don't want to live right in the mix anyway.

Delray's more consistent with PBG and beats more so w/ the rest of PBC than the rest of SFL, whereas Boca is still largely within the SFL orbit. Needless to say, Delray *seems* a lot older overall than Boca--always has, too.

Avoid Pompano--it still leaves much to be desired, including the beach areas. Deerfield, too.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:35 PM

536 posts, read 845,370 times
I knew and often visited three couples who lived within several blocks of the Mizner Park area before Mizner Park was built. It's a very nice group of 50s-60s houses. All were a bit upscale for what they were, but those along Camino Real were larger and more upscale. Just east of Mizner Park is a 1950s-1970s neighborhood of smaller houses. At the time I often went there (1990s) many of those houses were unrenovated 60s ranches but certainly upscale to what I moved into 2-3 miles inland. The area has been gradually gentrified since Mizner Park opened.

I cannot imagine your having a problem walking from Federal Highway along Palmetto Park Rd (the only straight shot to the beaches). The houses I am referring to are in subdivisions between (not on) PP Road and Glades Road.

Now the beaches you'll be walking to ... they are closed at night due to some incidents with vagrancy and crime. From sunrise to sunset, when it is open, the beach itself would be fine. The _walk down_ to A1A should be fine 24/7.

I have lived in East Boca since 1990 and it's a well-managed, livable city. Though I find its politics a bit incomprehensible I can say that the PTB follow their master plan most of the time and don't improvise to make short-term big bucks, not without an outcry. City Council meetings are televised.

In my experience the twentysomethings at Mizner Park (I have observed them, too) are coming in to Boca from other small cities nearby - but they are drawn to the scene, which is a good thing, and delightful - and it does flavor the ambience at Mizner Park. Even at the Town Center Mall there is a nice mix of ages: plenty of mall walkers and plenty of mall rats.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:13 PM

1 posts, read 865 times
I have found the posts informative and insightful. I am a healthcare professional SBF relocating to Boca Raton with a teenager. Was hoping for insight on an area that would be family friendly, good school district, not hood but culturally diverse. I love the water yet dreadful of hurricanes. What is more inland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach