Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 12:36 PM

428 posts, read 416,315 times

Advertisements

(Please bear with me)

We are moving to PB county in the next two weeks from NY state as hubby took a job in SE FL.

We are incredibly nervous about the public schools in Florida. Our son is going into 4th grade and is a very strong student. In trying to make sure he doesn't fall behind, we always do our own summer reading and some math review from the past year (teachers do give math packets, etc.).

A few weeks ago we began perusing school sites and looking at some of the suggested work to do over the summer to prevent the "back slide" that can come with taking months off, in order to put him in a good spot where he wouldn't have trouble transitioning. Well, what a surprise we had! For just one example-- With regard to suggested reading for this summer-- there are books on the summer reading list for PB county public schools that our son read in 2nd grade on his own for fun, which are suggested for kids going in to the grade *ahead* of him (which would make them 5th graders) this year. We can't see slowing down our son's progress by doing less challenging math or reading just because that's what his classmates would have done over the summer.

Where we are in NY, our school district could rival small colleges in terms of academic rigor, fine arts, STEM, community service requirements, and sports- we have dozens to choose from and have many team and individual state and country champs. So, you name it, our district probably does it-- and we do it much better than most... We also understand that, yes, we have been spoiled with what might be the less-than-common public school system.

All this said...

We like the idea of a public school because we think it offers more of a community vibe than just the academic community-- yet, the academic expectations we are researching from afar in PB county/FL are making us nervous and we are worried we might have to choose private. As a result of the shock from what PBC schools *might* be, we have started to look St. Jude's, Spanish River, and St. Joan of Arc. For example, their summer reading suggestions are sort of on par with what our son had been doing (although not exactly what he is capable of).

Is there anyone with PERSONAL experience with PB county schools that can give us their top pros and cons with the schools there? What ages are/were your children. Any specific great schools? Is there a point where middle & high schools aren't as good as private? (Have heard they tend to be worse.)

We have already checked out greatschools, etc, but I also like asking here... City data is usually less biased.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2015, 05:30 AM

21 posts, read 42,870 times
Hi...

I feel your concern, because we were in the same boat. You can have your child tested for full day gifted programs at some schools. We were going to do that, but decided to do private in part because of the size. My older son is entering middle school and I feared he'd get lost.

Old 07-21-2015, 07:09 AM

428 posts, read 416,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmfn1994 View Post
Hi...

I feel your concern, because we were in the same boat. You can have your child tested for full day gifted programs at some schools. We were going to do that, but decided to do private in part because of the size. My older son is entering middle school and I feared he'd get lost.

It is very frustrating. A measure of guilt is setting in throughout this search, because he didn't ask to be moved- and now after researching the schools, well...

And, have you read news of some of the administration in recent weeks? Good grief.

Part of what is appealing to us about just putting him in private right away, is that we won't have to worry about him starting in one school where we rent, and then have to pull him and put him in another if we aren't lucky enough to buy within the same boundary. Being able to offer him the extra stability is helping to tip the scale a bit in favor of private also...

We do have full reports for his years in school so far including testing, so I appreciate the suggestion about gifted programs- we will look in to that- Thank you!!!

Old 07-22-2015, 05:59 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
We like the idea of a public school because we think it offers more of a community vibe than just the academic community-- yet, the academic expectations we are researching from afar in PB county/FL are making us nervous and we are worried we might have to choose private. As a result of the shock from what PBC schools *might* be, we have started to look St. Jude's, Spanish River, and St. Joan of Arc. For example, their summer reading suggestions are sort of on par with what our son had been doing (although not exactly what he is capable of).

Is there anyone with PERSONAL experience with PB county schools that can give us their top pros and cons with the schools there? What ages are/were your children. Any specific great schools? Is there a point where middle & high schools aren't as good as private? (Have heard they tend to be worse.)

Thank you!!

1st- not all schools are created equal. St Jude's doesn't even have a school. Spanish River is a public high school, St Joan of Arc is literally from the dark ages from the staff to the classrooms.

I attended both private/public schools in PBC. My children attend public school and I wouldn't consider a private school for anything. To me, a private school is for people that live in a zone with poorly rated schools. A lot of parents are feeding their ego with the private school thing as if it is an extension of them: Gated community, European car and Private School.....trifecta of a perfect life!

Reality is the schools feed into this, they want Little Johnny to feel like he is getting a better education because those public school kids are evil! Literally, the nuns in the private school would threaten kids that they would be sent to "the public school." The fact is the value is not there. A first rate private school is 20-25K a year so 240-300K is smoked to get the kid through high school. Then a private college is going to be expected at another 200-250K. 99% of kids/parents would be better saving that outlay and giving the kid a head start in life with no student loans and a few bucks in the bank!

For what it is worth: My private school in Boca Raton had 220 graduates, of which 160 went to community colleges upon graduation! My neighbor's kid did 12 years public school, graduated from Suncoast and got a scholarship to MIT and subsequently graduated. My school had our valedictorian go to West Point......dropped out first semester. I can't see the advantage.......actually wait.....I saw my first pound of marijuana in the St Andrews school parking lot in the trunk of a $80,000 BMW......public school kids would be lucky to buy a $10 baggie but the rich kids had the coin to buy a pound!

Old 03-02-2021, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,490 times
Came across your post while doing my own research about moving from a New York suburb to Boca and having the same concerns regarding the schools. How has your experience been thus far? Would love to know how it all worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
View detailed profiles of: