Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 07:52 PM

260 posts, read 324,283 times

Advertisements

Try looking into Central and East Boca, like Addison Mizner Elementary. Cost of living off the SW 18th Street corridor is substantially lower than, say, north of Glades. And don't do anything west of the Turnpike, for there is an obvious lack of cultural amenities and the locales are... well, I won't even delve deep into my subjective experiences.
I'd highly recommend you look into Coconut Creek (SE of Parkland), affordable housing with very little in the way of violent crime (potentially less so than Boca Raton itself?), plenty of decent locales, no Mayberry but family-friendly enough...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 07:57 PM

18 posts, read 27,447 times
Thank you all, I really appreciate it.

We are used to Chicago (we are both a landlord and a renter - I have rented out my condo now to 4 different tenants over 7 years). In Chicago it's pretty easy to fly here for a weekend, look at places, submit an application and be done.

Since we are looking at a relocation I am thinking we need to ask my husband's employer for 4-6 weeks of corporate housing or something so we have time to look for a place.

It seems like flying down for just two days and being done is not as easy.

So much to think about - again I appreciate your help!

Old 01-08-2016, 08:58 AM

330 posts, read 432,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BocaRatongirl View Post
Most of the time you have to put down first, last and deposit (equally first months rent) All due before/by move in.
Are you saying that for a home on the market at $2500 per month you would need to put down $7500 up front?

Old 01-08-2016, 09:58 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcolin View Post
Are you saying that for a home on the market at $2500 per month you would need to put down $7500 up front?
That is not unusual at all. I require it on all of my rental properties. There are options where it's just first and security, also. Get a good realtor.

If you are curious why that is, I'll tell you! First month goes to the realtor. So landlord gets nothing from that. Then the tenants often (almost always) try to live out their security deposit for the last month, so landlords typically request last month as well as the security deposit to hedge against that. Most tenants won't break the lease, and since you already have last month, they won't try and live out the security deposit since last is already paid.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:06 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Love Boca.

It's neat, clean, relatively cosmopolitan, nice beaches, good shopping, good schools, solidly middle to upper middle class, has universities, accessible to larger cities like Miami and Fort Lauderdale and West palm Beach. Close to delray beach, which has a super cute downtown with restaurants, nightlife, shops, boutiques, etc.

Weston is also nice, tho it's more "Miami" culturally. Also, Weston itself doesn't have the same amenities as Boca, plus it's far away from beaches (it's basically a drained swamp). But overall, still a nice place. Parkland is nice as well as it's super close to Boca yet has a bit more open space and less busy than Boca.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:25 AM

330 posts, read 432,595 times
We looked at Parkland but although there are plenty of homes for sale there isn't much to rent that isn't an apartment/condo/townhome. We really need a SFH.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:25 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Love Boca.

It's neat, clean, relatively cosmopolitan, nice beaches, good shopping, good schools, solidly middle to upper middle class, has universities, accessible to larger cities like Miami and Fort Lauderdale and West palm Beach. Close to delray beach, which has a super cute downtown with restaurants, nightlife, shops, boutiques, etc.

Weston is also nice, tho it's more "Miami" culturally. Also, Weston itself doesn't have the same amenities as Boca, plus it's far away from beaches (it's basically a drained swamp). But overall, still a nice place. Parkland is nice as well as it's super close to Boca yet has a bit more open space and less busy than Boca.
The distance from anywhere in South Florida to the beach is trivial for most people, including in Weston. It's a 30 minute drive, max, straight shot down 595.

Either you want to be on the beach or walking distance to the beach. If you aren't on the beach or right near it, then being "closer to the beach" becomes moot.

Old 01-08-2016, 01:31 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,696,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNBR View Post
The distance from anywhere in South Florida to the beach is trivial for most people, including in Weston. It's a 30 minute drive, max, straight shot down 595.

Either you want to be on the beach or walking distance to the beach. If you aren't on the beach or right near it, then being "closer to the beach" becomes moot.
lol, oh ok. I hadn't realized u were the authority on most people's thought in South FL.

Have fun with that.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:06 PM

52 posts, read 83,011 times
I am a Realtor (and have been a landlord too) what was said by WIZRAP and BOCARATONGIRL is about right.

You would need first, last and security to rent. Plus, background checks, credit checks (on both adults) some HOAs actually ask for Income Tax Returns. (Which I find totally invasive, but that's me).. The HOA always asks for $$$ for the checking. Usually $100 to $150.

Finding a private house allows you to actually negotiate with the landlord himself and not the landlord and then the HOA, unless you find a house in a gated community.

$2500 for a private house in Boca will be difficult, all depends on what you are used to and what you like. Most rental single family homes in Boca run $3000 and up... (in the east good areas).

Sent you a PM.

Good Luck to you and your family on this move.

Old 01-11-2016, 05:25 PM

376 posts, read 1,867,100 times
East Boca is a great place to live. Downtown Boca Raton is going through a boom of new hotels, apartments, restaurants & bars. A Mandarin Oriental Resort is planning to open in 2017 so lots of money pouring into this town. Boca has great beaches and some nice cultural amenities.

There are a lot of good to above average schools in the Boca area. Parkland is about 20 minutes just west of Boca and quite nice.
Both towns are very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach