Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 05:10 AM

2 posts, read 5,884 times

Advertisements

I lived in Palm Beach County for 3 years and Lake Worth for almost one year until 2012. Don't believe all the hype! Even the coastal area East of S. Dixie Hwy is a two-bit ****hole by all reasonable standards. Any place where you find dispensed heroin needles strewn about in public parks and near schools on a regular basis qualifies as a ghetto. Rebuilt homes are interspersed with abandoned delapidated ones; utilities are set to gouge prices and benefit only a few privilged business owners. All other infrastructure is pathetically lacking. Its 'cute' little boutiques and shops constitute only two short avenues (Lantana and Lake) in the middle of a gang-laden and poverty stricken cess-pool. The local government is incompetent and completely corrupt. Most of the law enforcement are a bunch of redneck brutes who are not even fit to work as security guards. To top it all, the airs taken by a good many shop owners and establishments towards local residents are snobbish if not just downright rude. What a dump!

Last edited by Traveler626; 04-10-2013 at 06:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler626 View Post
I lived in Palm Beach County for 3 years and Lake Worth for almost one year until 2012. Don't believe all the hype! Even the coastal area East of S. Dixie Hwy is a two-bit ****hole by all reasonable standards. Any place where you find dispensed heroin needles strewn about in public parks and near schools on a regular basis qualifies as a ghetto. Rebuilt homes are interspersed with abandoned delapidated ones; utilities are set to gouge prices and benefit only a few privilged business owners. All other infrastructure is pathetically lacking. Its 'cute' little boutiques and shops constitute only two short avenues (Lantana and Lake) in the middle of a gang-laden and poverty stricken cess-pool. The local government is incompetent and completely corrupt. Most of the law enforcement are a bunch of redneck brutes who are not even fit to work as security guards. To top it all, the airs taken by a good many shop owners and establishments towards local residents are snobbish if not just downright rude. What a dump!

Not at all true.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
I'd say its a solid 50/50.

Old 04-12-2013, 03:13 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,960,229 times
I left Lake Worth 6 years ago and went back to visit in Feb of this year. I was shocked at the beach area. It looked great! There has been a lot of changes there for the better. I did miss John G's. I don't like their new location in Manalapan. I would love to see all the alphabet streets cleaned up and some of it looks like it has. It's a cool area with old Florida housing stock and lot of charm.

Unincorporated Lake Worth (military and maleluca ) area looked ghetto! Yuk!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:10 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Downtown Lake Worth is very underrated. Lots of cool places to grab a drink for dirt cheap and the ambiance is a lot more laid back than Atlantic Ave. You'll see some "interesting" people there, to say the least, but I've never had a bad time.

Unfortunately, most of the surrounding city west of Dixie (really M Street) is just horrendous. Way worse than the "bad" part of Delray (95 to Swinton).

As you travel west, it doesn't get nice again until you're almost in Wellington, and even though that area may still have a Lake Worth address, it isn't Lake Worth.

In a way, Lake Worth is like the less motivated, less intelligent, less attractive sibling of Delray. Both have a ton of potential with the historic downtowns and the "village by the sea" feel. At some point Delray decided to straighten itself out and make something great of itself. Lake Worth is still underachieving and at this rate may never reach its potential.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,427 times
Default You have your streets mixed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Downtown Lake Worth is very underrated. Lots of cool places to grab a drink for dirt cheap and the ambiance is a lot more laid back than Atlantic Ave. You'll see some "interesting" people there, to say the least, but I've never had a bad time.

Unfortunately, most of the surrounding city west of Dixie (really M Street) is just horrendous. Way worse than the "bad" part of Delray (95 to Swinton).

As you travel west, it doesn't get nice again until you're almost in Wellington, and even though that area may still have a Lake Worth address, it isn't Lake Worth.

In a way, Lake Worth is like the less motivated, less intelligent, less attractive sibling of Delray. Both have a ton of potential with the historic downtowns and the "village by the sea" feel. At some point Delray decided to straighten itself out and make something great of itself. Lake Worth is still underachieving and at this rate may never reach its potential.

You have your streets mixed up. M Street is 4 blocks EAST of Dixie & its lovely. Many artists & musicians live in the first few blocks east of downtown. They have block parties, Thursday night bicycle rides together, impromptu chat sessions in the front yards on nice evenings, art shows in the neighborhood… I love having my windows open and hearing people singing as they walk down the sidewalk. And I'm talking singing like you might hear in the best church choir.. extraordinary!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:47 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,029,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeWorthBeach View Post
You have your streets mixed up. M Street is 4 blocks EAST of Dixie & its lovely. Many artists & musicians live in the first few blocks east of downtown. They have block parties, Thursday night bicycle rides together, impromptu chat sessions in the front yards on nice evenings, art shows in the neighborhood… I love having my windows open and hearing people singing as they walk down the sidewalk. And I'm talking singing like you might hear in the best church choir.. extraordinary!
I know exactly where M Street is. The street itself is pretty decent, but once you go further west, it starts getting dicey. I looked at a house for sale on L Street about a year ago, and it was a no-go when I drove the block at night.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,407 times
M street runs North and South so I do not know which M street you are talking about. Lake Worth has issues but I think we are trying to improve. If you do not like LW then stay away is all I can say

Old 04-13-2013, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I know exactly where M Street is. The street itself is pretty decent, but once you go further west, it starts getting dicey. I looked at a house for sale on L Street about a year ago, and it was a no-go when I drove the block at night.
Shame you didn't buy the house on L St. Prices have doubled here since last year. Obviously a lot of people see the potential in Lake Worth. I live on L St. and feel completely safe walking into town for a nice meal, shopping or to participate in the many community events. We can ride our bicycles to the beach and launch our kayaks from the new Snook Islands nature preserve. Neighbors here actually greet you when you walk down the street. Lake Worth is unique to South Florida because it is a small town with a town center. It hasn't become overgrown and overcommercialized like Delray. It has many dedicated citizens and community groups who are working to solve the problems here, which are not unique to Lake Worth. I have no regrets about buying a home here nearly two years ago and would never trade the lifestyle here for a stuffy gated community.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:54 PM

490 posts, read 1,097,986 times
The short answer is "yes."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach