Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2016, 07:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,409 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Do you guys know anything about the fine Palm Beach County gives if you install flooring without going through a so called approved contractor?

My grandmother bought a condo in Palm Beach county and one of my cousins offered to install hardwood floor in her new place, so she went to the condo's HOA who informed her that they have nothing to do with that, but she needed to inform "the city" who informed my grandma that yes, it needs to be done by an approved contractor, otherwise you face a fine. This is supposedly a 2 year old law and been trying to find out online what the law says, but can't find it.

Any of you have any idea about this law? Or what the specific fine might be?
thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:38 AM

25 posts, read 62,357 times
She can get her own permit as a homeowner. It gives her the responsibility to oversee the project herself. ( ie use a family member or friend to install the floor). The town cannot tell a homeowner they cannot make their own improvement, that's why they have that type of permit available to homeowners. I have owned/operated a flooring company for over 10 years in NJ, and we are going through the whole licensing process down here in Florida now. Completely backward and ridiculous.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:16 AM

110 posts, read 173,838 times
Vivaleparty,
there is a law that anyone who does business in PBC must be licensed. But I have never heard of any laws stating that I could not install my own floor or even needed a permit for that. IF you talk to the city ask them to direct you to the Florida statute which imposes this restriction on homeowners. I'd be curious to know.

Old 02-29-2016, 11:55 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
I wouldn't get a permit for that. Just go put the floors down. I'm kind of surprised you guys are actually calling all these people and agencies. I've done plenty of condo remodels on my own properties, including flooring. It's nothing.

Old 04-07-2016, 09:56 AM

4 posts, read 8,409 times
since I don't live in Florida, had to send a friend to ask go to the city office and find out what the deal was. They gave him a copy of the law which was passed in 2014.

Basically the rude lady at the city office that the only way they would find out if you installed the flooring without the proper new 2014 guidelines, is when you try to sell the condo.

Supposedly the city has the original blueprint, so if grandma was to sell the property, when the real estate agent tries to list the property for sale, then the city compares if anything changed, and that's how they would find out if the property has flooring based on the new 2014 guidelines, and that's how you would get a fine, which is really not specified as to how much it would be.

Funny thing is, there was a guy installing flooring in the apt complex where grandma lives and he had no idea about this law.

I wrote to the city, and finally i got this reply:

In the Florida Statute 489.103 there is an exemption for owner builder of
single family homes that allows them to do their own work.
For a condo there is a difference.

As far as permits required for flooring the answer is yes. In the 2007
FBC-B it was the 1st time we saw the requirement for sound insulation
underlayment as a requirement for floors. Please review the (3) required
test that are required to be submitted at the time of permit application by
the contractor. These test are required for wood flooring as well as
ceramic tile or marble floors. We NEED the ACTUAL TEST not a sales
brochure!!!
The contractor submits 2 sets of all test documents.

BLDG TYPE: TYPE I/ TYPE II FLOOR INSULATION (FBC-B 2014)
For tile, stone, marble and wood flooring all need to have had the sound
underlayment tested to the following standards and meet the qualifications
listed under each of the standards:
Please provide TEST REPORTS showing compliance with:
a) FBC-B 2014 1207.3 Structure-borne sound. Floor/ceiling assemblies
between dwelling units or between a dwelling unit and a public or service
area within the structure shall have an impact insulation class (IIC)
rating of not less than 50 (45 if field tested) when tested in accordance
with ASTM E 492.

b) FBC-B 2014 1207.2 Air-borne sound.
Walls, partitions and floor/ceiling assemblies separating dwelling units
from each other or from public or service areas shall have a sound
transmission class (STC) of not less than 50 (45 if field tested) for
air-borne noise when tested in accordance with ASTM E 90.

c) FLAME SPREAD- FBC-B 2014 603.1. Exception 2. Insulation installed
between a finished floor and solid decking without intervening airspace
shall be allowed to have a flame spread index of not more than 200.

FLAME SPREAD INDEX. A comparative measure, expressed as a dimensionless
number, derived from visual measurements of the spread of flame versus time
for a material tested in accordance with ASTM E 84 or UL 723.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:35 PM

157 posts, read 332,566 times
These are fire codes for hi-rise buildings (higher than 3 stories). You do NOT need a permit for flooring in a typical home/townhome.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:45 AM

293 posts, read 499,852 times
The OP is confusing a law with a permit. yes in many places in PBC permits are required to change flooring in a high rise condo building. Also there is no way for the city to tell when you sell your home, that is simply nonsense.

I changed my flooring in a high rise I own in PBC, I did get the required permit and did it myself . It does not have to be done by an approved contractor, but if using a contractor they must be licensed and insured
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
View detailed profiles of: