Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 04:31 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,861 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

I was thinking of applying for a Norfolk Southern railway job in Bluefield, WV. How is the area for economy, jobs, schools, etc Is the town very big? What's nearby.

Thans for any info

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 09:12 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Default Bluefield

It has about 11,000 people in it. There's a college there. I really hope somebody from Bluefield can tell you more about it. http://www.city-data.com/city/Bluefi...-Virginia.html

Old 03-30-2007, 02:00 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,861 times
Thanks for the reply and link, this board doesn't seem as active as say the TN/NC, etc boards. Bluefield is about 2.5 hours from Johnson City, TN where I have some family, I've been applying for Railroad jobs and there are several openings in Bluefield, but I've never been there to know anything about the area.

I've been in the military for 20 years so I'm somewhat used to moving into an area blind, but I'd like to know something about the place for a current or former inhabitant.

Thanks again

Tony

Old 03-31-2007, 06:27 AM

109 posts, read 440,104 times
Smile bluefield wv

Can only tell you what i know i visited there in aug last year some parts were very nice. Beautiful houses nice people. My parents live in bluewell thats just right next to bluefield. There is a really poor run down area. Now i live in illinois now lived in bluefield when i was a child so i am giving you my point of view. If i can get a decent job there i will be moving in june. My parents moved back after living in chicago for 15 years and love it there. I have alot of family there and they like it. THe job market isnt that great and you have to have a decent car to get around . Overall i really enjoyed it when i visited and would like to raise my kids in wv. At this point im just trying to find a job and will be moving in june. Princeton the next town by bluefield is really up and coming. Lots of stores are going up and resturants. Very nice. I have heard there is a drug problem there but where every you go theres going to be a problem of some sort. There crime rate is very good and so are there houses. Hoped i helped there are pple on here that know about the place then me maybe they can help you also. thanks

Old 04-10-2007, 11:16 PM

22 posts, read 115,739 times
Bluefield itself is run down...great town but lacking many things...best bet is to look into the Princeton area...much better OR the Beckley area (about 40 min) but worth it much better community, better mall, stores, rest. and closer to Charleston City Life.

Old 04-29-2007, 03:57 PM

15 posts, read 76,386 times
Beckley is the shopping district for people in Bluefield. All my friends from the area have to come up here to do shopping unless you are grocery shopping or Walmarting. The economy is stagnant really, there are a few things, but really not a lot. Bluefield, VA is a little better than the West Virginia side. They have promised development in the future, but I've been hearing that for 2 years sayin they are going to get a Target.

Honestly, Target will build in Beckley first where there's more population in the city/suburbs/and county, and equal competition...so Bluefield development is probably just a rumor.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:14 AM

240 posts, read 732,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraziS05 View Post
Beckley is the shopping district for people in Bluefield. All my friends from the area have to come up here to do shopping unless you are grocery shopping or Walmarting. The economy is stagnant really, there are a few things, but really not a lot. Bluefield, VA is a little better than the West Virginia side. They have promised development in the future, but I've been hearing that for 2 years sayin they are going to get a Target.

Honestly, Target will build in Beckley first where there's more population in the city/suburbs/and county, and equal competition...so Bluefield development is probably just a rumor.
Actually, the new development is becoming reality. From the Bluefield Daily Telegraph:

New growth in Four Seasons Country

From the opening of the Princeton Crossings in Princeton to the start of construction on the Hatfield-McCoy Recreation Trail in McDowell County, 2006 was a year of exciting growth for the region.

The Princeton Crossings, anchored by a new Lowe’s, opened to business in late 2006, along with the new Staples in Bluefield, Va. Steve & Barry’s opened a 103,000 square-foot anchor store at the Mercer Mall, and construction continued on a new Chilli’s at the Princeton Crossings. Work also got underway in November on a 70-mile stretch of the Hatfield-McCoy Recreation Trail in McDowell County near Ashland and the Mercer County border.

The seeds for future growth also were planted in 2006 with three major projects in the region. The Leatherwood Company unveiled its plans in early 2006 for a massive 1,071-acre development planned just south of U.S. Route 460 between the Virginia-West Virginia border and Huffard Drive.

The first phase of the project will include a 27-acre starter home project comprised of single-family lots ranging from one third of an acre to over an acre of size. Construction is still scheduled to begin next year on a 188-acre commercial and shopping center aspect of the project.

Tazewell County officials also voted to green-light their plans for the 680-acre Bluestone Regional Business and Technology Center planned near Bluefield, Va. The large-scale development proposes to incorporate a workforce training center, offices, hotels and a conference center, retail stores, residential units and a nine-hole golf course — all within a single development.

http://www.bdtonline.com/archivesear...364203452.html

And most people I know who live in the area shop in VA which is a lot closer than Beckley. Sales tax on food is only 1.5%. You can find gas 20 cents a gallon cheaper too.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:42 PM

64 posts, read 320,990 times
Bluefield is an older town and very hilly. It spills over into Virginia and I have heard that for tax reasons, that side is better (more state services I suppose). There is a college there, but its not very large. Up the WV turnpike (toll road) is Princeton (a nice small town, shopping, restaurants, minor league baseball) and then Beckley (as stated the shopping center of the area). Charleston is about 2 1/2 hours away. Not much else in Virginia until you get to Wytheville which is similar to Beckley. Climate wise, Bluefield usually stays cooler than a lot of areas in the state due to the hilly terrain.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,957 times
Red face Native Bluefield, Mom still there!

Guess I could say a lot, as I am fairly up to date on the status of the ol' "Nature's Air Conditioned City". Bluefield, VA has a better reputation right now for real estate, commercial and residential. WV side is not as good, economy poor. I really think to do your "best" shopping, going towards Blacksburg or Roanoke is good. I like that you have a lot of outdoor recreation, especially if you like the hiking, whitewater rafting kind of things. but, there is a lot of poverty overall as everyone is aware of in the area, especially with coal.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:08 PM

15 posts, read 76,386 times
That's the only thing I really liked about the area is that they have easy access in and out of the city because of 460, and the reduced gas prices in Bluefield, VA just right over the line.

I personally live in Beckley and I wouldn't leave here to go to Bluefield. Even if they are getting that development area, that will probably be it. You have to figure the population and surrounding population. If you get too much business there at one time, things will start to close like they have in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia