Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:53 PM

389 posts, read 797,151 times

Advertisements

states-no-one-buys-new-home-247: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

West Virginia is listed at number two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 09:18 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
Maybe number two, but in our state of small towns there are definitely exceptions. As you know, that is not the case in Morgantown.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 AM

1,229 posts, read 859,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drs72 View Post

Heh.....I really see no reason to be worried. West Virginia has some of the most beautiful old housing stock in this whole country. Anyone who truly appreciates fine craftsmanship and pre-turn-of-the-century/turn-of-the-century architecture would find West Virginia to be a national treasure.

I purchased a super fine 1897 Victorian in Martinsburg a few months back....and there is not an architect through out the whole landsraad that could design me a finer home than I just purchased....

Honestly folks.....Toll Bros developments full of cookie-cutter tract homes and small McMansions with granite/siltstone counter tops, stainless-steel appliances, lam flooring and rounded corners ala sheet rock --- all equals junk/garbage. West Virginia don't need em'.....and should be proud of the second place finish. It's a badge of honor if you ask me....

Old 08-22-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
Heh.....I really see no reason to be worried. West Virginia has some of the most beautiful old housing stock in this whole country. Anyone who truly appreciates fine craftsmanship and pre-turn-of-the-century/turn-of-the-century architecture would find West Virginia to be a national treasure.

I purchased a super fine 1897 Victorian in Martinsburg a few months back....and there is not an architect through out the whole landsraad that could design me a finer home than I just purchased....

Honestly folks.....Toll Bros developments full of cookie-cutter tract homes and small McMansions with granite/siltstone counter tops, stainless-steel appliances, lam flooring and rounded corners ala sheet rock --- all equals junk/garbage. West Virginia don't need em'.....and should be proud of the second place finish. It's a badge of honor if you ask me....
Martinsburg and Wheeling are absolutely loaded with such treasures. Hopefully Wheeling's economy continues to build to the point where some of theirs can be saved.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:42 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,876,572 times
Quote:

I agree. It is about quantity instead of quality these days. They don't build houses like they used to.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:45 AM

You got that right. In place of stately brick that lasts for centuries, we have glue and sawdust frame with plastic siding that you don't want to accidentally brush with a weed wacker. Today's construction techniques are a travesty.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:26 AM

385 posts, read 615,268 times
Quote:
No arguments here. My mother-in-law bought one of those new TH's in northern VA, except Pulte was the developer. I can't believe the corners that were cut. Her front door was an interior-grade door so it had to be replaced within a few years, the area around the windows wasn't caulked properly so there's water damage (major $$$ to repair this), leaky basement, cracks in the foundation, etc. She wasn't the only one with problems, and her subdivision eventually had to threaten to sue the developer to get things that should never have passed inspection fixed.

That said, the banks are sitting on anywhere from 2-5 years worth of "shadow inventory" right now, depending on which "expert" you think is credible. In that sort of a market I wouldn't expect a whole lot of building permits to get pulled.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
You got that right. In place of stately brick that lasts for centuries, we have glue and sawdust frame with plastic siding that you don't want to accidentally brush with a weed wacker. Today's construction techniques are a travesty.
Also all the houses look the same these days. Go to an old neighborhood and every house was designed independently by an architect. .

Old 08-23-2011, 11:04 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,314,623 times
A robust housing industry is the key to economic plenty and has been the prosperity catalist for this country since WW-2.
Millions of jobs go into the materials and contents of new homes.

Our country is suffering because of the unemployment related to this one industry.

For 18 years I struggled in this industry managing my own company.
In June of this year I realized the damage from Washington was too great and closed our doors.

It was the wise thing to do.

I feel that it will be at least 4/5 years before this nation can recover.
I was not willing to take that much loss.

Wv has lost over 3,000 building contractors....far too many for such a very small state.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
A robust housing industry is the key to economic plenty and has been the prosperity catalist for this country since WW-2.
Millions of jobs go into the materials and contents of new homes.

Our country is suffering because of the unemployment related to this one industry.

For 18 years I struggled in this industry managing my own company.
In June of this year I realized the damage from Washington was too great and closed our doors.

It was the wise thing to do.

I feel that it will be at least 4/5 years before this nation can recover.
I was not willing to take that much loss.

Wv has lost over 3,000 building contractors....far too many for such a very small state.
Just curious, what were the policies that really hurt developers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia