Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:24 PM

145 posts, read 834,891 times

Advertisements

I am priced out of northern Virginia, currently renting, and considering buying a single family home in the east panhandle, perhaps in Charles Town or Harper's Ferry. I am particularly interested in the Huntfield development because of its advertised "small town" feel. If any of you live there or know about the area I would love to get your opinions.

Also, is it a tough commute? I hear 9 is crowded going into Virginia. I would be driving to Herndon. According to Google Maps that's 41 miles and should take 1 hour, 2 minutes. I would like to hear how long it actually takes during rush hour, how bad the mountain pass gets in the winter, and any other thoughts on the drive.

I am not sure if it's worth such a long drive, but my little family is going nuts in a 3 bedroom apartment. If the drive wasn't too stressful I would love to give my wife and kids the nice home they deserve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 09:00 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Have you considered moving out of state and elsewhere to led a better life? I, myself am moving out of s. Florida up north. Hope this helps.

Old 09-20-2006, 11:24 AM

Here we are close to our parents. We have little kids and we all enjoy being able to see our folks every couple of weekends.

However I am considering moving away.

I dislike the high cost of housing but it's not that big of a deal to me, because renting is relatively cheap, but my wife really wants a home. For me, the overcrowding and traffic is what I hate about northern Va.

You gotta go where the jobs are, though, and this is where they be.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 AM

I also am moving away from my parents. My brother and sister go to college far away. Ill visit my parents a few times a year and they can visit me.
Owning a house is the american dream and I can see why your wife wants one. I thought about a mobile home and renting but after seeing the nice $50k houses in some cities and towns far away from Florida, I fell in love! Wont be able to find a decent job there, but thats what a home business is for.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:37 AM

Default One more try

Is there anyone who does this commute that could give me some insight on how long it takes and how bad it sucks? Are you folks just sick of us priced-out "East Virginians" clogging up your infrastructure

Old 09-29-2006, 05:37 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkd View Post
Is there anyone who does this commute that could give me some insight on how long it takes and how bad it sucks? Are you folks just sick of us priced-out "East Virginians" clogging up your infrastructure

JMark,
First you are talking about the Eastern Panhandle of West By God.
There is no such thing as infrastructure

The question is where would you be commuting to?
DC, Tysons, Fairfax, Arlington, Dulles?

Harpers Ferry offer the MARC, so does Martinsburg.
Driving to Dulles can go over an hour. Fairfax County? Well, just get up at 3am and get home at 9pm

Jefferson County has improved, however, you want to be close to Shepherdstown and the artsiefartsie DC crowd has really placed a price tag on living there. Most homes are historic so you looking at 400-600K.
Harpers Ferry is about the same since the Park Service has confiscated most of the land.
Charlestown is pot luck and with the Race Track, can offer some crime elements.

Berkeley County, well, read my Moving to Martinsburg post. There you will get a good education.

For the record. I am a native Martinsburger/Hedesbush person. I know the area like the back of my hand

Old 09-29-2006, 05:43 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Sorry, my bad.
Herndon. About 90 minutes. If there is bad weather about 3 hours.
Not to mention the roads will be hard on your brakes and MPG.

WV also ranks #13 in overall taxation. Yes, home property taxes are cheaper, but they will nickle and dime you on everything else.

Income Tax 6.5%
Car Tax
License transfer tax from VA to WV is a killer
Food Tax and Clothing Tax 6%
They tax your tractor, they tax your dog, they will even tax your HOG.

It is hard to believe, but when I was transfered to New Jersey of all places, I actually got an overall tax break! Now tell me that ain't scary. Then again, WV has been run by Yellow Dogs since June 20, 1863.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:01 AM

How much per year would the taxes in WV total? There are other places I can move to such as Georgia, Tennessee, Texas, Kentucky, Kansas, etc.
I wont mind paying a little more for a house elsewhere if the tax savings outweighs that.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:49 AM

Default Good info

Thanks, guys. That is what I was lookin' for. 90 minutes to Herndon on a good day...yuck. I think it's another year of renting in Fairfax or Loudon for me...it's comparitively reasonable to rent, $1600 a month for a $350-400K townhouse.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkd View Post
Thanks, guys. That is what I was lookin' for. 90 minutes to Herndon on a good day...yuck. I think it's another year of renting in Fairfax or Loudon for me...it's comparitively reasonable to rent, $1600 a month for a $350-400K townhouse.
Thats a good price to rent. Normally I frown renting but when house prices are dropping and rent is so much cheaper, its the way to go for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia