Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 PM

20 posts, read 77,569 times

Advertisements

This summer my family and I were driving through the mountains in West Virginia, and we came across this waterfall at the side of the road. We stopped for about an hour to walk around and admire the scenery and then we were on the road again. We took some pictures, and I am curios to know what these are called. (I'm pretty sure this was in West Virginia, but it might have been in Virginia)

(Sorry for the poor photo quality)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 04:22 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,376,777 times
Can you give us any other info - such as the roads you were traveling or anything?
(I for one don't recognize it).

Can't really tell if this is a "permanent" waterfall or it occurred after a heavy rain. When snows are melting and after heavy rains, we get some gorgeous waterfalls in places that normally do not have a waterfall. Sometimes it takes the waters a day/few days to make it's course down the mountains.

Old 11-06-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Can you give us any other info - such as the roads you were traveling or anything?
(I for one don't recognize it).

Can't really tell if this is a "permanent" waterfall or it occurred after a heavy rain. When snows are melting and after heavy rains, we get some gorgeous waterfalls in places that normally do not have a waterfall. Sometimes it takes the waters a day/few days to make it's course down the mountains.
We were traveling on US 60, just outside of Gauley Bridge, but I do remember that we were traveling parallel to the Gauley River (or maybe the Kanawha River, I can't remember if the New River and the Gauley had combined yet). Gauley bridge is the name of the town, by the way. When we were in the Virginias there was very little rain, and we were there for 2 weeks.

Also, the waterflow over the falls was pretty high, even if the picture didn't show it. There's a whole other section higher up that we couldn't fit into the shot.

Last edited by pianodude76; 11-06-2008 at 07:15 PM..

Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,405,521 times
Blackwater Falls maybe

Old 11-06-2008, 08:34 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,991,908 times
ha ha.. that is not Blackwater Falls... That is up in my neck of the woods in neighboring Tucker County

Old 11-06-2008, 10:39 PM

180 posts, read 352,563 times
I know this waterfall. yes it is on 60. very close to the 16-60 junction. There are actually two of these along the roadside.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:43 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,807,708 times
It's called Cathedral Falls.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
It's called Cathedral Falls.
That's it! Thank you very much! (I went online and looked up pictures of it.)

Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,557 times
This is the waterfall at the bottom of Gauley mountain as your cross the river on US 60 headed to Anstead from the camp ground then start up the hill cross the railroad track then a big curve barring toured the right and the waterfall is on your left, there a picnic table there and little foot bridge. There are some big rock you can walk up to the falls and it's about 35 to 40 foot high, there's also a little path to walk up to get to the top of the falls but dangerous when tring to come back down, frien of mine broke his arm tring to get back down from there. The reason I know this falls well is I was born & raised in Gauley Bridge and lived 5 mile from there and preposed to my 1st wife at that falls. Not sure about it being called Cathedral Falls, never heard of it being called that we alwayed called it Gauley Falls. Glad to be of some help, Larry

Old 06-17-2013, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 2,286 times
Here is the little water fall just outside Gauley Bridge, WV going up to Hawks Nest.

Gauley Bridge, West Virginia - YouTube

I'm looking up the name now, I think it's Cathedral something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: