Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 03:57 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Any beverage that violates the German Purity Laws should not be permitted to be labeled "beer".
LOL, ... well as a long time former resident of Bavaria, I would say half the beers in Germany would have trouble passing any purity laws if they really checked them. Some of those small town breweries there you buy a beer and it has cork and slivers of wood floating in it. Drink it and you end up with the runs for three days. Beer quality varies widely in Germany. It does here too, but I actually believe our purity is better overall. The cheap pilsners commercially available are absolutely pure... they just suck in terms of quality, and the better commercial beers... Yuengling Lager, Sam Adams, etc. are good quality and very pure. The American craft beers are in a league of their own as far as I am concerned. Something for literally every taste.

Some of that foreign stuff they pass off as quality here... Dos Equis, Heinikens, etc. are either too yiesty or rice beer that is even cheaper to make than Bud or Miller pilsners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 04:12 PM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Any beverage that violates the German Purity Laws should not be permitted to be labeled "beer".
You mean the Reinheitsgebot? That Bavarian Purity law only allowed water, barley, and hops. Nott a single beer made today would qualify because they all use yeast to start fermentation, which was unknown in 1487 when the purity law first appeared.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You mean the Reinheitsgebot? That Bavarian Purity law only allowed water, barley, and hops. Nott a single beer made today would qualify because they all use yeast to start fermentation, which was unknown in 1487 when the purity law first appeared.
Heinekins uses yeast as a major ingredient. The mass produced German beers are quite similar to the lager beers sold here such as Yuengling. The beer they export also has preservatives added, so it is even less pure. There are major differences in the beers from different regions of Germany. The northern versions, such as those from Hamburg/St. Pauli are much stronger (12%) alcohol wise than the Bavarian beers (4%). They are also made with more yeast. The Bavarians tend to be heavier on the hops, but lighter on the alcohol than American beer except for our lagers. They really don't get into craft beers in Germany, but each village often has its own small brewery and quality can vary greatly between them, but the locals are generally devotees of the local beer going back many generations.

The old folks in Bavaria often drink their beer room temperature on purpose. I have seen them take cold beer and insert a warmer into it to bring the temp up before drinking it.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:06 PM

708 posts, read 1,157,353 times
So does this affect the Shine Man on top of the ridge? I guess he isn't concerned about regulations, just the revenuers and the law.

How much homebrew beer are you allowed to make in WV? Just enough for personal use or is it technically illegal?

Unrelated notes:

1. A operational moonshine still would be a great tourism booster for riders on the Hatfield-McCoy Trail in SWV. (Not that garbage they tried to pass off on the History Channel)

2. WV really needs to get Maurijuana legalization steamrolling, this would benefit tourism, decrease drug abuse, and open the states coffers to additional tax revenue.

Imagine a spot where a person could buy Maurijuana Moonshine at the same place, LEGALLY!!!

Old 03-13-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseOfWilmore View Post
So does this affect the Shine Man on top of the ridge? I guess he isn't concerned about regulations, just the revenuers and the law.

How much homebrew beer are you allowed to make in WV? Just enough for personal use or is it technically illegal?

Unrelated notes:

1. A operational moonshine still would be a great tourism booster for riders on the Hatfield-McCoy Trail in SWV. (Not that garbage they tried to pass off on the History Channel)

2. WV really needs to get Maurijuana legalization steamrolling, this would benefit tourism, decrease drug abuse, and open the states coffers to additional tax revenue.

Imagine a spot where a person could buy Maurijuana Moonshine at the same place, LEGALLY!!!
The law that made home brewing legal was signed by Jimmie Carter. It basically says that you can make 200 gallons of alcoholic beverages per year in your own home for personal consumption without having a license or paying federal alcohol taxes. I don't think it makes any difference whether you want to make wine, distill spirits, or brew beer.

At one point, WV law was very much unclear about the legality of home brewing. I'm not sure what the case is right now, but I don't expect to see any revenoorers knocking on my door any time soon.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Unrelated notes:

Great post! I don't believe there are limits on the amount of home brew one can make. I believe the thing is it can not be sold to anybody.

That is a great idea about the operational moonshine still. Unfortunately, we have become a society so handicapped by restrictive laws that it would take a major change in attitude to bring about such a smart development. I don't see that happening as long as special interests rule the day with their money. That would be a threat to Jim Beam and Old Crow. You can bet they would throw money into stopping it in its tracks.

The one thing I disagree with is your idea about marijuana. It has long served as a gateway drug that has resulted in many getting hooked on stronger drugs, and we already have enough problems with alcohol, which will always be legal. They need to make alcohol more legal (stop the nonsensical age law enforcement) and focus on responsibility with it... not drinking it in the first place. You will never stop that. But, inappropriate behavior brought on by not being responsible can be dealt with directly, the way it is in most of the rest of the world.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
<clip>

1. I don't know how you could get by with an operational still used as a tourism attraction without a commercial federal alcohol license.

2. I had a friend telling me just yesterday that his wife has a condition that is being successfully treated with marijuana elsewhere, but the doctors here are still struggling to find a pain medication that will work for her. I hope it is legalized here soon. There is no scientific reason for this material to be illegal.

That reminds me of a poster I saw on Facebook a couple of weeks ago:

Quote:
IN CASE OF AN OVERDOSE

Advil, Contact Poison Control
Alcohol, Contact Poison Control
Ambien, Contact Poison Control
Codeine, Contact Poison Control
Demerol, Contact Poison Control
Librium, Contact Poison Control
Lunesta, Contact Poison Control
Motrin, Contact Poison Control
Oxycontin, Contact Poison Control
Sudafed, Contact Poison Control
Tylenol, Contact Poison Control
Valium, Contact Poison Control
Xanax, Contact Poison Control
Cannabis, Order A Pizza

Old 03-13-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Great post! I don't believe there are limits on the amount of home brew one can make. I believe the thing is it can not be sold to anybody.

That is a great idea about the operational moonshine still. Unfortunately, we have become a society so handicapped by restrictive laws that it would take a major change in attitude to bring about such a smart development. I don't see that happening as long as special interests rule the day with their money. That would be a threat to Jim Beam and Old Crow. You can bet they would throw money into stopping it in its tracks.

The one thing I disagree with is your idea about marijuana. It has long served as a gateway drug that has resulted in many getting hooked on stronger drugs, and we already have enough problems with alcohol, which will always be legal. They need to make alcohol more legal (stop the nonsensical age law enforcement) and focus on responsibility with it... not drinking it in the first place. You will never stop that. But, inappropriate behavior brought on by not being responsible can be dealt with directly, the way it is in most of the rest of the world.
I have yet to see any scientific evidence that the use of marijuana leads to addiction to anything. Using that logic, we should outlaw beer, since the use of beer leads to addiction to stronger alcohols, such as wine and whiskey. While it might sound like it makes sense, there is no evidence that one leads to the other.

With marijuana being legalized in so many places, it should be easy to find scientific data about its use, misuse and abuse.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:19 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Have those who partake in harder drugs in pretty high percentages smoked pot first? That is highly likely.

They all have drunk milk. How do you correlate what is the gateway vehicle?

Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I have yet to see any scientific evidence that the use of marijuana leads to addiction to anything. Using that logic, we should outlaw beer, since the use of beer leads to addiction to stronger alcohols, such as wine and whiskey. While it might sound like it makes sense, there is no evidence that one leads to the other.

With marijuana being legalized in so many places, it should be easy to find scientific data about its use, misuse and abuse.
Alcohol is culturally involved for thousands of years. Good or bad, it isn't going anywhere and since it can't be stopped (proven time and again) the focus should be on responsible behavior with it.

I believe you are right about the scientific evidence. It appears very sketchy... perhaps because with use being largely illegal it is difficult to conduct the research? I just know that in my more than 2 decades of work with inmates, a very large percentage of whom are drug users, most of them indicated to me that they began that journey by using marijuana. Not scientific, mind you... but experience with users has indicated to me it is a triggering factor. And, since it does not have universal acceptance to the degree long achieved by alcohol, in my view there is no logic to promoting its use. One mind altering vice is sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia